New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#151 2005-05-03 11:42:47

Cobra Commander

Re: Political Potpourri IV - Continued from previous

Pre-Bush the GOP hated the idea of nation building, right?

Yep.

But I was still an avid American imperialist.  big_smile

If we're going to nation-build, we should do it right. Otherwise, well, we have a great army for killing people and blowing stuff up. No whining when we don't fix it afterwards and none of this "peacekeeping" stuff either.  ???

Or another way, if we insist on sending a SWAT team after a treed cat, they'd better be told to shoot the cat and leave.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#152 2005-05-03 11:45:45

Palomar

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#153 2005-05-03 13:01:49

BWhite

In other news, the recent enthusiasm for blending religion and society apparently http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/a … l]excludes Wiccans.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#154 2005-05-03 13:08:43

BWhite

Click through to the end and there is a home page with plenty more great cartoons on lots of subjects.

Charles and Camilla, for example.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#155 2005-05-03 13:58:39

Palomar

In other news, the recent enthusiasm for blending religion and society apparently http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/a … l]excludes Wiccans.

*Oh, well of course.  God (erm...pardon the pun) forbid you be anything but a monotheist.  roll

Am glad I'm a die-hard science-loving "heretic."  big_smile

Click through to the end and there is a home page with plenty more great cartoons on lots of subjects.

Charles and Camilla, for example.

Yep, I check Cagle's site twice a week on average.  Saw the C & C cartoons, LOL.  "Fred & Gladys" finally tied the knot.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#156 2005-05-03 15:44:58

BWhite

Schiavo redux

http://www.click2houston.com/news/44437 … .html]Will this get the same press?

Community activist Quanell X represented Knya's parents, who met for a second time with hospital officials. He said doctors are still planning to stop care for Knya the day after Mother's Day.

#157 2005-05-03 15:53:29

Palomar

Schiavo redux

http://www.click2houston.com/news/44437 … .html]Will this get the same press?

Community activist Quanell X represented Knya's parents, who met for a second time with hospital officials. He said doctors are still planning to stop care for Knya the day after Mother's Day.

*What is it with Texas?  Isn't this the 2nd case within the year in which a hospital/doctors in TX have taken it upon themselves to decide that a seriously ill infant will die?  Regardless of what the parents want?

So much for all the claims of Christ-like compassion in Pres. Bush's "territory."

--Cindy

#158 2005-05-04 09:18:14

Palomar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … igion]Here we go.  Again.

*How can people be required to pray?  You can force someone to pray -- thinking -- in their own heads? 

And since when is "the meaning of life" a *religious* question?  I consider it a philosophical question.

Oh, but I know:  Bill O'Reilly will tell us his faith isn't a religion...it's philosophy. 

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Saw another headline wherein Graner, the prison scandal scumbag and father of Lynndie England's baby, is upset and disappointed that she pleaded guilty.

#159 2005-05-04 10:39:47

Cobra Commander

Oh, but I know:  Bill O'Reilly will tell us his faith isn't a religion...it's philosophy.

On one level I agree with that statement, religion is a form of philosophy. Not all philosophy is religion, but all religion is philosophy.

That said, I can't stand by O'Reilly making that statement. There was a time I might have, but then I lost a great deal of respect for him when he had David Duke on awhile ago. Not for putting him on the air, but for asking him questions then not letting him answer.

If one is going to defend overzealous expression of religion in inappropriate contexts one must also defend the same as it applies to the philosphy of the Ku Klux Klan or any other such thing.

But then that would require more people to realise one simple truth. Others don't offend us, we choose to be offended. Just choose not to be.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#160 2005-05-04 12:23:36

BWhite

#161 2005-05-04 12:55:34

BWhite

http://www.responsiblelending.org/]Predatory lending is part of how reverse Robin Hood actually works.

Rig the game so the little guy cannot get ahead. And of course, we need tort reform so the big banks are safe from lawsuits over this stuff.

Edited By BWhite on 1115232966

#162 2005-05-04 13:09:59

Cobra Commander

Rig the game so the little guy cannot get ahead. And of course, we need tort reform so the big banks are safe from lawsuits over this stuff.

On this I'm in general agreement with you. In addition to tort reform and some combination of legislation and education (with a heavy bias toward education) to rectify these abuses, I'd also point out that under my taxation guidelines these "predatory lenders" would be hit with some of the heaviest tax burdens.

Some glimmer of hope that our joint Pro-Consulship could work. big_smile

But that said, if someone is dumb enough or desperate enough to go to a loan shark, there's only so much you can do to help them before you just have to move on. Can't save everyone.

#163 2005-05-05 12:15:42

BWhite

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp … d=14804]An article that compares Iraq to post-Civil War Reconstruction in America's south.

The KKK actually got started with die-hard remnants of the Confederate Army and kept fighting for decades, until the North got exhausted and left. Can we compare the Sunni Baath who had been favored under Saddam with those who founded the KKK?

#164 2005-05-05 12:56:48

Palomar

The KKK actually got started with die-hard remnants of the Confederate Army and kept fighting for decades, until the North got exhausted and left.

*I've heard/read that the KKK was started by agents of the British Crown seeking to make trouble in the new America. Scottish Rite connection.  Can be Googled for.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/afghan_un_wo … in]Slaying of Afghan women concern U.N. 

:bars:

#165 2005-05-05 16:20:45

Grypd

Well its Election time in Great Britain.

The Exit poles have that Tony Blairs, Labour will win again but with a reduced majority of only 66 Mps. The first "seat" called has actually shown the majority might be even less. It looks like he is being punished over the War in Iraq. If it as low as that it makes his leadership of the Labour party at severe risk from a challenge inside his party like happened to Margaret Thatcher.

Still I will know when I wake at 6am which party will have won.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#166 2005-05-05 19:27:54

Palomar

Well its Election time in Great Britain.

The Exit poles have that Tony Blairs, Labour will win again but with a reduced majority of only 66 Mps. The first "seat" called has actually shown the majority might be even less. It looks like he is being punished over the War in Iraq. If it as low as that it makes his leadership of the Labour party at severe risk from a challenge inside his party like happened to Margaret Thatcher.

Still I will know when I wake at 6am which party will have won.

*Yes, I've been following that news story all day.  He was the projected winner early this afternoon.  Looks like Mr. Blair will have extra cause for celebration on his 52nd birthday tomorrow. 

Interesting that both he and Mr. Bush won re-election (if indeed Blair wins again) after such intense opposition to the Iraqi war and no WMD's found (yet).  I expected them both to be voted -out- of office by a rather wide margin.

--Cindy

#167 2005-05-05 19:40:21

clark

You know what i read in the paper today? The Gov. of NY is scrapping plans related to the Towers (of 9/11 recent note) and requiring the construction to be delayed by a year. Security concerns.

Something about Paula Abdul.

Michael Jackson.

And cold feet.

Nothing about a Prime Minster or some fantasy island.

#168 2005-05-05 21:22:22

Shaun Barrett

Cindy:-

Interesting that both he and Mr. Bush won re-election (if indeed Blair wins again) after such intense opposition to the Iraqi war and no WMD's found (yet).  I expected them both to be voted -out- of office by a rather wide margin.

Yes, and Australia's John Howard, like George W. Bush in America, was returned with an increased majority, despite all the media hype about how unpopular the liberation of Iraq was supposed to be with the masses.

Is it possible that what you hear in the media is more the voice of the media than the voice of the people? Spin it any way you like but three election victories by three 'warmongering political pariahs' .. it makes you wonder, doesn't it?
                                                      smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#169 2005-05-06 05:13:30

Palomar

Cindy:-

Yes, and Australia's John Howard, like George W. Bush in America, was returned with an increased majority, despite all the media hype about how unpopular the liberation of Iraq was supposed to be with the masses.

Is it possible that what you hear in the media is more the voice of the media than the voice of the people? Spin it any way you like but three election victories by three 'warmongering political pariahs' .. it makes you wonder, doesn't it?
                                                      smile

*Yes, Shaun; agreed.  Sorry I didn't mention Mr. John Howard.  I do remember his election victory. 

Makes me extra skeptical about "the press."

A bit of bad news mixed in with the good for Mr. Blair (from Yahoo! news):

but his Labour Party suffered a sharply reduced parliamentary majority that could weaken his mandate and force him to step aside before his term ends.

A chastened Blair acknowledged the setback and appealed for unity.

"Iraq has been a divisive issue in this country but I hope now that we can unite again and look to the future there and here," he said Thursday as results trickled in. He spoke from his home constituency of Sedgefield, northern England, where he retained his seat.

Labour needed at least 324 seats to form a majority in the 646-seat House of Commons. With 618 seats reporting, Labour had 353 seats; the main opposition Conservatives 194; Liberal Democrats 59; and independents and smaller parties 12. Labour's majority of 161 in the last Parliament had been slashed by almost 100 seats.

The slip in Labour's lead could loosen Blair's grip on power and prompt calls for him to step down before he has served a full five-year term. His Cabinet colleague and rival, powerful Treasury chief Gordon Brown, is widely regarded as his likely successor.

Was surprised to read that, but then I don't know much about English politics.  American politics -- that's confusing and aggravating enough.  :-\

--Cindy

#170 2005-05-06 07:46:32

Cobra Commander

Spin it any way you like but three election victories by three 'warmongering political pariahs' .. it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

It's obviously part of a conspiracy hatched by the unholy axis of George Bush, John Howard and Tony Blair to establish themselves as a triumvirate and rule the world, thereby freeing them to plunder the resources of poor and oppressed peoples the world over.

Sorry, just trying the Kool-Aid.  big_smile

#171 2005-05-06 07:54:02

BWhite

Spin it any way you like but three election victories by three 'warmongering political pariahs' .. it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

It's obviously part of a conspiracy hatched by the unholy axis of George Bush, John Howard and Tony Blair to establish themselves as a triumvirate and rule the world, thereby freeing them to plunder the resources of poor and oppressed peoples the world over.

Sorry, just trying the Kool-Aid.  big_smile

And I believe this was the 70,000 post. You win a . . .  ? ? ?

Blair has been seriously weakened. One report I saw said "no one" was happy with yesterday's election results.

That said Labour is by far the dominant party in the UK. Any backlash over Iraq will materialize from within the Labour Party, not through the Tories or the Social Democrats.

As I recall, many Brits very much like Social Democrat policy but find most Social Democrat politicians to be too naive to actually be given power. So: "Hold one's nose and vote Blair"

#172 2005-05-06 08:05:22

Palomar

One report I saw said "no one" was happy with yesterday's election results.

*I hope you don't believe those sorts of all-inclusive statements regarding "everyone."  There is no such thing as "everyone"/"no one."

So: "Hold one's nose and vote Blair"

Doesn't matter.  He won (even if partially).  As I mentioned yesterday, I expected neither Bush nor Blair to be re-elected.

It's obviously part of a conspiracy hatched by the unholy axis of George Bush, John Howard and Tony Blair to establish themselves as a triumvirate and rule the world...

Some people will believe that.  Illuminati conspiracy probably the major favored "theory."

Shaun, which flavor of Kool-Aid do you like?  Or have you had a taste yet?

--Cindy

#173 2005-05-06 08:48:43

BWhite

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/election200 … tml]Advice for Blair

and

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-20 … tml]Kicked in the ballots

Labour lost half of its majority of seats.

Look for Labour to start planning for Tony to "retire" early. Especially if they wish to win a fourth election.

It also looked certain that Labour would hang on to power with the lowest share of the vote in modern times — just 36 per cent.

Voters mauled Mr Blair over stealth taxes, his failure to control illegal immigration and the war in Iraq.

And he [Blair] admitted they wanted to cut his Government down to size.

He said: “It seems as if it is clear that the British people wanted a return of a Labour government with a reduced majority. We have to respond to that sensibly, wisely and responsibly.”

= = =

Bush, of course, would prefer the Tories to win but they are stuck at 1/3 of the voters. The Tory party would have supported Bush in Iraq even more vigorously than Blair.

Edited By BWhite on 1115391442

#174 2005-05-06 16:21:41

Grypd

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/election200 … tml]Advice for Blair

and

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-20 … tml]Kicked in the ballots

Labour lost half of its majority of seats.

Look for Labour to start planning for Tony to "retire" early. Especially if they wish to win a fourth election.

It also looked certain that Labour would hang on to power with the lowest share of the vote in modern times — just 36 per cent.

Voters mauled Mr Blair over stealth taxes, his failure to control illegal immigration and the war in Iraq.

And he [Blair] admitted they wanted to cut his Government down to size.

He said: “It seems as if it is clear that the British people wanted a return of a Labour government with a reduced majority. We have to respond to that sensibly, wisely and responsibly.”

= = =

Bush, of course, would prefer the Tories to win but they are stuck at 1/3 of the voters. The Tory party would have supported Bush in Iraq even more vigorously than Blair.

I dont believe that Blair will still be prime minister by this time next year. The papers and his own spin doctors say so. And with only a majority of 68 this really means Labour is weakened and prone to backbench revolts. This means the goverment would have real difficulty in pushing unpopular legislation through and or/needs support from another party.

But we will see, and now I have to admit im really looking forward to the regional elections in 2007 especially as these are proportional representation. Interesting times.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#175 2005-05-06 19:22:34

Shaun Barrett

My natural inclinations wouldn't be to vote for the British Labour Party anyhow.
    But Blair is one of the few nominal 'socialists' in world politics with the guts to do what's right. He's proved that in Iraq and you have to give him credit for it.
    It's only a pity that many among his natural constituency obviously lack his vision and testicular fortitude and have staged a backlash against him at the polls. Nevertheless, it's encouraging to see that he's been returned to power in spite of that.
   (Low percentage voting figures are normal for Britain, where voting isn't compulsory, by the way.)

Moving on to less palatable news, Bulgaria is withdrawing its 460 troops from Iraq soon. They lost something like a half dozen soldiers to terrorist violence, and a few civilians as well unfortunately, and the resulting political pressure at home has forced the withdrawal.
    Like Spain before her, Bulgaria has succumbed to fear and weakness and is abandoning its Coalition allies and the Iraqi people at their time of need. Shame!

It's also been announced that the Japanese military engineering contingent is to go home at Christmas. It is these same engineers that the additional 450 Australian troops were recently sent to Iraq to protect from terrorists. I was afraid the Japanese withdrawal might prompt Australia to pull out its extra troops too. But, happily, the Aussie government has declared that those soldiers will be assigned to other vital tasks and will complete their planned tour of duty.
    Refreshing determination and adherence to the job in hand .. well done, Australia! And well done John Howard.  smile

Kudos to America, most of all though, for its magnificent performance in Iraq in the face of appalling behaviour by the mindless murderers they have had to contend with. I am constantly in awe of the courage and generosity of the American people who have done so much to help so many of us for so long. A perfect country? No way .. not by any means! But the world would be so much the worse without her.  :up:

On an upbeat note, Al-Qa'ida's third-in-command has recently been arrested in Pakistan, I believe, and has 'spilled the beans' about much of Bin Laden's network. There's even been some optimistic talk about soon capturing Bin Laden himself. We can only hope.
                                                               smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer