New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2007-06-26 19:47:57

Impulseman
InActive

Re: Opinions on My Terraformed Mars texture

RobertDyck,

Hey and thanks for the info. Of course I believe everything you are basing this data on is what is available on Mars at this point in time. I of course am basing my texture and a much more advanced human technology than we now have. I do believe one very feasible way to increase the atmospheric gas budget is to aero brake comets into the atmosphere. Of course most of the gases would be water based. But water vapor is a very good heat insulator. If enough cometary material is thrown in Mars atmosphere it shouldn't take too long to get an atmosphere of 2.5 bars. From the articles I have read, a heavier atmosphere would be better and easier to maintain over time than one that is right at the threshold of human habitation. It would go much farther in protecting humans and animal life from radiation. Also one might also consider that since these more advanced humans, they might have a way of harvesting nitrogen from Titan or other outer solar system bodies and importing to Mars. Again my time scale for this texture is set much further in the future than what most people are considering and is a result of some 50,000 years of terraforming effort.  Then again over time, millions of years, the suns output is going to be increasing, that means more light and heat for Mars which is good. Of course this makes things bad for the Earth as this means the habitable zone will be moving outward as well. So in the future even with Earth terraforming efforts to save the planet there will come a time when the Earth simply will not be able to sustain life comfortably. At least a terraformed Mars will give the human race a short term solution.  That is if we haven't found suitable Earth like planets around other stars or other worlds to terraform.
Of course this is all just conjecture at this point. But I do enjoy working on textures and I am also making an ancient Mars texture as well. Of course I will have no way to orient it properly for its earlier polar position before the great flip as it were. But it will no doubt turn out interesting as well.

Board footer