New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2018-10-28 00:24:25

jfenciso
Website

Re: What would be the best method of maintaining fertile fields?

SpaceNut wrote:

Processing the human waste is the trick

Indole in human feces is helpful in plants, by the way. big_smile

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl … -27997.pdf

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. Graduate of Master of Science in Botany at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. I am specializing in Plant Physiology, and have a minor degree in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#27 2018-10-28 08:48:25

Oldfart1939

The key to fertility is Nitrogen. We need to have a source; either atmospheric or from minerals found there. Otherwise, bring loads of Ammonium Nitrate from Earth. All the comments regarding Nitrogen fixation are meaningless w/o and Nitrogen in the atmosphere where we are farming.

#28 2018-10-28 09:08:15

jfenciso
Website

Oldfart1939 wrote:

The key to fertility is Nitrogen. .

Oldfart1939, don't forget the Phosphorus and Potassium. NPK are macronutrients and more needed by plants. However, to obtain more phosphate, I recommend planting chickpea because they exude more organic acid in the soil to obtain a phosphorus. However, since legumes need rhizobia to enhance nodulation and nitrogen fixation, inoculation of Rhizobia sp. in seeds before sowing must do.

I'm Jayson from the Philippines. Graduate of Master of Science in Botany at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, Laguna. I am specializing in Plant Physiology, and have a minor degree in Agronomy. My research interests are Phytoremediation, Plant-Microbe Interaction, Plant Nutrition, and Plant Stress Physiology.

#29 2018-10-28 12:46:58

Oldfart1939

My point is the overall elemental availability in Martian regolith. I fully understand the thought process you are using, but it assumes a similar soil composition chemically to Earth. Having soils on Earth which are deficient in the elements you listed is the reason for using fertilizers.

#30 2018-10-28 12:57:47

jfenciso
Website

Oldfart1939 wrote:

My point is the overall elemental availability in Martian regolith.

By the way, one of my worries is the Martian regolith they have a radiation like Gamma rays. Utilizing collected Martian regolith for planting could affect the growth of the plant and dangerous to settlers also, which could increase the health risk.

If we talk hydroponics, lots of mineral salts supply must be transported in Mars and the Martian settlers will be the one to prepare a nutrient solution like "modified Hoagland's solution".

Last edited by jfenciso (2018-10-28 12:58:34)

#31 2018-10-28 16:33:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars regolith processing is a must and hydroponic with media to hold the plants will mean the limits of shipping mass to mars will be exceeded.
Have replied to the radiation elsewhere... http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8793

#32 2018-10-29 04:58:47

jfenciso
Website

a thing that holds the plant in hydroponics is called "Wick system", to reduce the shipping mass, I recommend the use of coconut husk, we call it coco coir. They are lightweight compared to vermicullite or perlite.

#33 2022-08-26 05:13:16

Mars_B4_Moon

Combatting the fertilizer crisis – An Icarda Q&A
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/962682

Board footer