New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2008-04-15 06:56:01

Belinda

Re: Real images of Mars

Yes, different people see different things based on their knowledge and experience even when the source of their perception is identical (within the variation of the display devices).

Whatever they are, I think they're all wonderful.

I'm really looking forward to 'ground truth' images sent back by Phoenix after May 25th.

Cheers,

B

#152 2008-04-15 10:12:12

cIclops

Yes smile

Images from the Phoenix SSI camera may have even more accurate color than MER's Pancam because it has more filters (12 v 8 ).

Phoenix arrives in just 40 days.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#153 2008-04-15 10:21:22

cIclops

PSP_007676_1385.jpg
Eroding Mesas Forming Seif and Barchan Dunes (MRO/HiRISE) false color - imaged 16 Mar 2008

More details and subimages

This observation shows sand dunes within the Hellespontus region of Mars.

The sand appears to come from the layered mesas and knobs, features that have been eroded by powerful winds. The dunes here have a morphology indicating formative winds blowing from west to east (left to right).

The primary indicator for this is the orientation of the barchan dunes, a dune type that on Earth has its horns in the downwind direction. Also, the steepest faces of the dunes are on the dunes’ eastern side, indicating westerly winds.

In addition to the barchans, some of the dunes are organized into a “seif,”, or longitudinal, form whereby their long axis is parallel to the wind. These are seen emanating from the sand sheets next to the mesas and knobs, as well as from some barchan horns.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#154 2008-04-15 17:42:07

Vincent
Banned

Lots of sand dunes on Mars for sure. Great cyclones can form with winds over 100 mph with visibilities near zero, talk about your wind chills.

This is the best surface storm ever imaged I believe.

Vincent

2416794243_b8e2158cc4_o.jpg

Argument expected.
I don't require agreement when presenting new ideas.

-Dana Johnson

#155 2008-04-16 19:19:57

Vincent
Banned

From today’s MRO release. Gullies with  ice. Hard to go dry flow there.

Vincent

2420133308_058551e8e7_o.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#156 2008-04-17 09:11:38

cIclops

Interesting image Vincent. The image release text says:

This image shows a large gully in the wall of a crater in the southern hemisphere. Such gullies are among the most recent landforms on Mars, and were probably carved by liquid water.

The source of the water is still unknown; it could have been groundwater from a shallow aquifer or melted snow or ground ice from a different climate.

This gully is not particularly fresh, but it is among the largest observed; several sub-channels merge in the alcove on the upper slope, in the north part of the image. Numerous faint troughs and lineations are visible downslope, likely indicating old channels that have been buried or reworked. The upper alcove exposes a dense cluster of boulders not seen on the adjacent slope. This could indicate that smaller material has been removed by the gullies, exposing the boulders without transporting them far.

No mention of ice, and it would be a surprising find at 58° South. The blue "stuff" looks like deposits in false color.

#157 2008-04-17 10:01:53

Vincent
Banned

No mention of ice, and it would be a surprising find at 58° South. The blue "stuff" looks like deposits in false color.

Hi cIclops,

You just picked a scab. “Blue stuff,” has a blue hue due to the white balance being off in what is an RBG image IMHO. If it was, “just deposits,” then the deposits would need to be different in some characteristic to produce the different wave length in any particular spectrum, even IR or UV.

Photons are just photons.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#158 2008-04-17 10:19:54

Vincent
Banned

cIclops,

I am not the best communicator on Earth. I really do wish to discuss different opinions. I do not know it all but have been around long enough to be dangerous.

Maybe I can learn from you or you from me. I think it is why we haunt these forums. It is not for the money for sure.

Feel free to disagree and give your rationale.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#159 2008-04-17 13:05:30

Vincent
Banned

This is were I digress

This is were I get banned. If you want to talk to NASA and be the hero of the forum then all you got to do is say hey, we got some moron that thanks he knows some stuff.

Tell them to talk to Vincent. I am not a yes man. May we all learn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZqoSHi3aP4

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#160 2008-04-17 13:49:02

Vincent
Banned

Lets get it on. I want some

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#161 2008-04-17 14:33:23

Vincent
Banned

Maybe we can do L2L3L4L5L6L7L8

Damn, I just want some

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#162 2008-04-17 14:43:51

Vincent
Banned

If you want to do real images, I am cool.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#163 2008-04-18 02:37:03

cIclops

Vincent - it is possible to edit your message to add more text rather than posting new ones - it's also more readable.

That image is false color. It's not clear what frequency the original photons had when then were detected by HiRISE, but that information may be available.

Checkout this document for details about the colors

Coarser-grained materials (sand and rocks) are generally bluer (or sometimes purplish in IRB color) but also relatively dark, except where coated by dust. Frost and ice are also relatively blue, but bright, and often concentrated at the poles or on pole-facing slopes. Some bedrock is also relatively bright and blue, but not as much as frost or ice, and it has distinctive morphologies.

#164 2008-04-18 09:36:58

Midoshi

PSP_007547_1895_cut.jpg

Rocks Rolling  (PSP_007547_1895), aquired 06 March 2008

I happened to find this image perusing online news articles about Mars and thought it warranted posting in here. Too bad there are so many possibilities for how the boulders were sent rolling; I was hoping it might be used as an indirect seismometer. Guess we'll still have to wait for the Exomars mission.

This image covers where the southern branch of Shalbatana Vallis opens into Chryse Planitia, showing a variety of boulders that have moved down slope leaving tracks on the surface. These boulders may have been thrown out from low-energy secondary craters, or simply eroded out of the above rocky cliff.

In the subimage [the one posted], the left frame shows boulders moving in two directions, indicating that they had different sources. The right frame shows a boulder about 4 meters in diameter in the bottom left, having left a track that begins in the upper right. This boulder rolled down the hill, appears to have jumped the crater, bounced a few times, and then rolled to a halt.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#165 2008-04-18 10:43:51

cIclops

Great images! Many people have seen boulders whereas not many have seen craters, these rolling boulders and their tracks make Mars seem so familiar.

#166 2008-04-20 11:47:55

cIclops

PSP_007779_2570.jpg
North Polar Dunes (MRO/HiRISE) - imaged 24 Mar 2008

More info & grayscale images

In this image, we can see that the north pole is surrounded by a vast “sea” of basaltic sand dunes. In northern winter a seasonal polar cap composed of carbon dioxide ice (dry ice) forms and the surrounding dunes become covered with frost. In the spring, the ice sublimates (evaporates directly from ice to gas) loosening and moving tiny dust particles.

The bright portions of the dunes in this image are areas still covered with seasonal frost while dark spots are areas where the frost is gone or dark dust has cascaded down the sides of the dune.

#167 2008-04-20 16:19:16

Vincent
Banned

Look like the cousins of the south polar Fans or geysers.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#168 2008-04-21 05:40:32

Vincent
Banned

The best cloud image ever from Mars. Low and midlevel clouds in the valleys.

Vincent

2431137532_cf02f29a41_o.jpg

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#169 2008-04-21 13:19:18

Belinda

The best cloud image ever from Mars.

Fantastic!

This is Olympus Mons, right?

Do you have any of 'Green Valley'?

Cheers,

Belinda

#170 2008-04-21 13:40:10

Vincent
Banned

Yes Belinda.

Green valley is a hoax. That was a area void of boulders in whitch they call the green area to land..

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#171 2008-04-21 13:48:44

Belinda

Green valley is a hoax. That was a area void of boulders in what they call the green area to land..

I thought it was a nice name. I thought it might've been named Green Valley same way Greenland is.

But why would they hoax us? It isn't April 1st?

Cheers,

B

#172 2008-04-21 14:00:27

Vincent
Banned

Belinda,

Hoax is a word us Mars forum guys throw around. We look for the truth. The truth is what I said.

Why the call it the green valley is why I said. Why they want to tease the public maybe that would be another thread.

The public will not always have Vincent. I call the cowards out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5-kMXwkmPk

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

#173 2008-04-21 14:33:50

Belinda

Hoax is a word us Mars forum guys throw around. We look for the truth. The truth is what I said.

Why the call it the green valley is why I said.

It was a NASA email that called it 'Green Valley'. Should I complain?  wink

The public will not always have Vincent.

Come on then, Vincent, show us what you're made of. Find / or direct me to an image of the area of the landing ellipse seen from above.

Cheers,

Belinda

#174 2008-04-21 14:57:20

Belinda

Are you my June carter.?

I doubt it. I'm definitely too old for YouTube. But I really, really love Mars. It's my favourite other planet & I'm bitterly disappointed I'm unlikely to live long enough ever to see a permanent human presence there, never mind go there myself for real.  sad

Cheers, bless, keep well etc.

Belinda

#175 2008-04-21 15:03:39

Vincent
Banned

Belinda,

Glad to talk. I can get deep.

Vincent

Argument expected.

-Dana Johnson

Board footer