New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2006-05-03 19:48:25

chat

Re: Black Hole Drives

Please do look up the fact of gravity measurements and time distortions.
I do know of the dual atomic clock experiment aboard a jet and on the ground as relativistic time measurements, that has been done.

Quote:
Did I title my thread random facts?
I'm not sure, let me check.

Quote:

you are quoting time distortions on a plane compared to ground speed.
I believe that was your example

Nope, time distortion of gravity not relativity.

How do you know the mass quantity inside a black hole?
What are you measuring?
The effect on our universe to obtain the mass of a black hole that no information can escape from?
Are you measuring our universe effects or the black hole?
And no they are not one in the same thing.

Quote:
You mean you should be more clear.

Yes that is what i meant or more simplified.

Quote:
Your understanding is confused. Physics by analogy only takes you so far.

So you are saying that no matter how much you learn you can never understand anything?
Maybe its not me that is confused.

Quote:
An idea? That would imply some coherency to your writings. If you want to post off topic random thoughts create a tread called just that.

As compared to going to a black hole and using it as an energy source?
And my writings are incoherent.  hmmmmmm

Quote:
I have a reason. My reason is I don't like reading off topic nonsense.

True enough it is off topic.
Nonsense can only be decided by fact, not by stupidity.

Quote:
Ahh….You only wish I feel treated. If you want to be open to all ideas why don't you spend your days and nights reading astrology

This certainly doesn't make sense or is even in English.

Is that what you got your degree in?
I think its an ok hobby but having it as your career is not a wise choice.
I wouldn't recommend telling everyone you are an astrologist.

Sorry for messing up your bizarre idea of a gravity machine.
But you sir are what is called a concrete head.
No room for anything other than your own thoughts you have read somewhere.

Quote:  To many more stupid replies to answer.

The universe isn't being pushed apart faster.
It is being pulled faster towards the clumpy edge.

#52 2006-05-03 20:48:50

John Creighton
Website

Please edit your post to clean up the quote tags.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#53 2006-05-03 23:42:15

Austin Stanley
Website

I usualy try and stay away when insane rambling takes place (don't feed the trolls ya know), but I have to give props to John, good going man.  A fine rebutal.

----

To bring this more on-topic (or back to what John and I were discussing earlier).

I see to general ways of using micro black-holes as a power source of some sort.  One method would be to contain it and feed it matter and capturing the radiation it naturaly produces as it decays.  This might be possible for the larger, longer lived black-holes.  John, it occured to me (maybe you already realised this) that even if you can't feed these larger, but still micro-ones, matter you could still potentialy capture that orginal 10^10kg of matters worth of energy.  Which obviously still be alot.

For the short lived ones we might exploit the rapid/explosive decay of a shorter lived whole, possibly via some ultra-mega orion drive type process (ie. fire off a giant-explosion off behind your vehicle).  I think the explosive release of the shortest lived ones is probably to great an impulse to capture by any other means.  Of course this assumes you can create some-sort of disposable bomb-like black-whole creation device or somehow create a black-hole at a range.  Neither seem vary likely to me, but who knows?  In any case your spaceship had better be REALY big (like large asteriod to small moon sized) or carry a shock-absorber of tremendous-stupendous-huge size.  Or else the acceleration from such a large blast would squish you flat.  Putting such a device on a asteriod/comet/moon and detonating it there would also be heck of a way to get the thing to move!

Either method could realise total conversion of matter, which is why it is exciting the first place.  These micro-black holes would not be usefull for pulling or draging your spacecraft via-space time distorions ala star-trek (or whatever).  Rember that gravity is still a VERY weak force and the gravity from these black-holes is no more powerfull than the same-amount of matter would be for anything else.  The gravity is just much more concentrated, that's all.  Alot more concentration in this case, the event horizon of these micro-holes are generaly smaller than a proton.  Their gravitational influence does not reach far at all.

And of course, even if it was a usefull amount of force (gravitationaly) there would still be the issue of exactly how you continualy kept it in pushed in front of your vessel.  And even if you could do that, it still wouldn't be any more usefull for space-travel then attaching your ship to a pole on a large asteriod or something would be good for space travel.  There is no way to use the warpage of space-time to cheat concervation of energy (or even momentum) like that.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#54 2006-05-04 01:49:17

MarsDog

The properties of space determine everything.
These properties are complex and consistent, but which theory works best ?
http://www.ldolphin.org/everything.html

Instead of counting sheep to go to sleep,
try length contraction divided by time dilation to avoid the singularity.

Board footer