New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2008-04-06 14:07:00

pete
Banned
Website

Re: Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV) - ESA ISS cargo carrier

Sure you could do a suborbital stunt, but why would you want to? Ares 1 will have a payload capacity 5 times higher. Even Falcon 9 will have twice the payload to GTO, let alone LEO. You will need about 7-8 tonnes to LEO, to do something useful.

The problem is, that you need a very heavy heat shield to get back from orbit, and this hasn't changed very much since the 1960s.

Archimedes to Mars!
[url]http://archimedes.marssociety.de[/url]

#52 2008-04-06 14:20:43

Terraformer
Website

Graphite?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#53 2008-04-07 13:22:49

cIclops

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#54 2008-04-15 10:19:45

EuroLauncher

Does anyone know how many Gs the craft will be subjected to? Just wondering if it could be modified to carry humans.

Maybe something like this :

9example9wz9.jpg

Leave the manned launches to the UnitedStates/Russia and continue evolving the concept as ATV as a cargo ship

#55 2008-04-15 12:39:51

GCNRevenger

Or as an ISS replacement (crosses fingers).

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#56 2008-04-15 14:00:36

Terraformer
Website

An ISS replacement? What do you mean?

As for space station construction, I'm in favour of using nearly expendable rockets (like Apollo but with the re-entry module being reusable) and just bolting together the parts remaining in orbit to build a station. Like what China is planning on doing.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#57 2008-04-16 12:22:52

GCNRevenger

Yes an ISS replacement... that when the present ISS wears long in the tooth, the ESA and Russia might consider building a brand new station based on multiple ATVs (up to six?) with a Russian hub, or maybe ATV(s) with inflatable modules on the front.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#58 2008-04-16 14:34:56

Terraformer
Website

But the ATV would have to be reinforced. Remmber The ATV as a Tug: Why dump it after six months in orbit.

Well, if it's posible, they might as well start now. The hub could be sent up unmanned, the ATVs could join using the normal docking procedure, then send up the Astronauts using either Soyuz or (hopefully) an actual European rocket.

#59 2008-04-22 02:37:21

cIclops

From ISS daily reports for 21 Apr 2008:

ATV Reboost Test:   The single-burn reboost firing test of the ATV “Jules Verne” overnight at 12:10am-1:52am was conducted successfully.  Burn duration was 4m 33s, with a delta-V of 1.04 m/s (3.41 ft/sec).  Mean altitude gain was ~1.49 km.  The purpose of the reboost was to test the ATV main engines prior to the scheduled reboost on 4/25 (Friday).  ISS attitude control authority was handed over to the Russian MCS (Motion Control System) thrusters at ~12:00am and returned to US momentum management at ~2:47am.

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#60 2015-02-22 20:50:33

SpaceNut
Administrator

Almost 7 years of posts since the last one hopefully not many for the topic...

The ATV’s final mission was the last chance in the foreseeable future to monitor the guided, destructive re-entry of such a large spacecraft.

Artist_s_view_of_ATV-5_reentry.jpg

ATV’s re-entry camera returned no images

The ATV’s five missions sent up 31,446 kilograms, or 69,327 pounds, of cargo, fuel, water and air to the space station. They five flights spent a cumulative 776 days docked to the space station on missions launched in 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.

ESA wished to stop producing ATVs after the fifth model, preferring to focus European industry on the development of a new project using technologies from the cargo resupply program.

The five ATV flights were part of a barter agreement with NASA to pay Europe’s share of the space station’s operating costs through 2017.

ESA and Airbus Defense and Space, the ATV’s prime contractor, are now working on a propulsion and power module for NASA’s Orion crew capsule. It will fly on the Orion spacecraft’s next test flight around the moon and back to Earth in 2018.

The Orion service module contribution covers ESA’s cost commitment to the space station through 2020.

#61 2018-12-28 12:23:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

This topic has evolved into the Service Module for the Orion capsule on the SLS rocket. To which the first few have been delivered and tested for use and are going through the mating process.

#62 2019-03-19 10:29:23

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #62 above ....

In past years (as I understand it) the NewMars forum had a review process for applications for membership in the forum.

I'd like to ask for a collective review of that idea. 

How did the system work (way back then) and why did it fail?

The registration process seems to be effectively unrestricted right now.

An interview could be requested by an applicant.

The interview could be requested with an existing member who has agreed to serve as a gatekeeper.

If I were to serve as a gatekeeper, for example, I would ask the application a set of questions which would be agreed upon by the forum community.

Among these might be:

Why are you interested in NewMars forum?  (eg, are you wanting to sell something?)

How could you contribute to the forum?

(th)

Board footer