New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2005-12-04 22:50:40

GCNRevenger

Re: 4Frontiers

Honestly, if it seemed like they could actually pull it off, I think that the security issues would not be a show-stopper. University run research reactors have used uranium sufficently rich to make bombs with, but not enough of it.

Anyway, I see the uranium issue as a kind of credibility test: no Mars colony is viable without nuclear power for at least a backup source, so it is kind of a "gate keeper" piece of hardware. Thus, whoever is in the base/colony business will have to be very, very credible (ie "not like 4Frontiers") in the sight of the gov't to be permitted bomb-grade fuel to establish a viable base/colony.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#77 2007-03-19 05:56:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think GCNRevenger had it right when he said that patenting technology or ideas was not the way to get to mars, that it was if anything a road block.

Donated patents put to good use

There are countless other patents that are promising but sitting idle, business developers say.

In fact, about 90% to 95% of all patents are idle, according to Ron Sampson, the secretary of the not-for-profit National Institute for Strategic Technology Acquisition and Commercialization in Manhattan, Kan.

"These technologies represent an important national asset but the vast majority remain unused and eventually will be permanently abandoned," Sampson said.

Companies used to receive tax benefits for donating patents but Congress ended the incentive in 2004 after too many companies tried to unload useless patents with little chance of being commercialized.

Now that federal tax breaks have been eliminated, there's less of an incentive for companies to offer unused patents.

#78 2019-01-01 17:16:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

This was a moon direct topic meantion and it seems more of a road block when the technology gets pattented in a way to stop or prevent its use...

Board footer