New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2005-09-08 12:33:42

Mundaka
Banned

Re: Current Gasoline/Petrol Price$

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#77 2005-09-08 13:41:32

Palomar

Ah, the classic reflexive reaction of tolerant MultiCultis when confronted with another culture (or even point of view): sadistic, genocidal fantasies -- and they wonder why we fear to surrender our guns!

OK, on with the Pol Pot (Jr. Grade) quiz of the day:

Yes! It is fun.

So you are a sadist -- the signature of the coward.

and laugh insanely

I'll leave that to you.

lol 

*On a different note:  Oil prices going down?  I saw that headline at Yahoo! yesterday -- gasoline prices expected to drop.  Hopefully prices will dip back down into the $1.89 per gallon range.  Thus far prices continue to hover around the $2.99 p/g range. 

Yet a conflicting report:  The estimated costs of home heating this winter.  I'm grateful we live in a warm climate and have recently replaced our windows; they are saving us a lot of enegy already (cooling).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#78 2005-09-08 16:01:47

Grypd

Oil prices where mostly pushed up by a bout of panic buying and a bit of hoarding not to mention people seeing a means to get profit. (price gouging)

Needless to say it will go down as there has been released a lot of crude oil from the supplies of the USA and refined petrol from the EU. There still is a problem with those 8 refineries being out of action and not liable for being put into action again for a long time.

Hopefully the price drop will not be followed by small price increases as demand again outstrips supply.

PS Do people in the USA know what rice pudding is as there is approximatly 500,000 all day meals going across the atlantic right now. And from my experience of the meals we serve in floods disasters national events they allways have rice pudding (I wonder what regulation insists upon it). They also insist upon feeding us this stuff when we are in operational service.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#79 2005-09-08 16:14:29

Palomar

Grypd wrote:

Hopefully the price drop will not be followed by small price increases as demand again outstrips supply.

*Yeah, good point.  sad  There I went again, being optimistic. 

PS Do people in the USA know what rice pudding is as there is approximatly 500,000 all day meals going across the atlantic right now. And from my experience of the meals we serve in floods disasters national events they allways have rice pudding (I wonder what regulation insists upon it). They also insist upon feeding us this stuff when we are in operational service.

Rice pudding as I recall it was cooked in a thick, sweetened cream -- just enough to make it moist.  Sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon on top, then baked.  My elementary school cafeteria frequently served it and called it rice pudding.  Now I've gotten a sudden wicked craving for it.  ::mouth waters::  Teehee. 

It's not standard to serve it here, in emergency rations, as far as I know.  Likely is cultural for British?  I can think of a few food items which would likely be standard in rations created in various regions of the U.S. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#80 2005-09-08 16:48:22

srmeaney

You got this one right. Of course, Australia has been our ally since at least WWII, so make sure to run out right away and flagellate yourself (don't forget your leather.)

Since ww1 when yours showed up cause the fight was on...Mine were fishing and hunting in the Aral mountains when gengis khan raped his first camel.

Don't know about the arms prices so I can't comment on it. The dead were Americans; however, you should be happy -- so stop whining.

They wernt all American.

I prefer the Browning High Power -- as would you, had you actually witnessed the events you claim to know so much about (I remember a college class I took where the professor gave a detailed blow - by - blow chronology of a battle I took part in. Complete propaganda and lies. The guy not only got the whole thing wrong, he totally made up things that never happened. When I confronted him -- politely -- he responded, "Do not dispute the material." Tolerance and intellectual honesty my eye.)

Prefer the remington high power. And yes, I know all about the ills of propaganda passed as history. According to the Propaganda merchants my Great uncle murdered Aboriginals and was an evil racist. Funny how His Aboriginal wife and kids didnt see him that way. Or if you prefer insult to injury, the history lesson we got when the Government invited us all out to the national park that used to be our farm to visit the restored heritage site named after the politicians family who lived in it after mine built it (the price of leasing out the farm while you go to fight in two world wars and a Boer war).

Wait till China rules your corner of the world -- I pity you and pray for your future. Seriously: I wish your people no harm and am still willing to fight to defend them.

The Chinese dont beleive in Gods, that makes them less likely to be a problem than a Christian Zealot with a hand full of nukes. I am not concerned with a change of government. My current regime is planning to introduce a few anti terrorist laws that target the citizens they deem to be a threat. Mainly people who advocate civil war in response to tyranny of Government and no way covering mercenaries in government employ, rich people who finance terrorists, christians who donate to the fight against communism (by terrorist insurgency), nations who finance terrorists(freedom fighters til they cross a border) and sell us cheap oil or Presidents who have shares in supplying Wars.

Ps. China is desperate to prop up the failing US because they need you...to look on in awe as the first man on the planet Mars turns out to be a farmer's son from Quandong province.

Oh and Cindy...the reason you are thinking about rice pudding is not just because they added pacification drugs to the one you got at school, its cause yo kitty wants some. and it is usin its insidious mind control powers to get what kitty wants...

#81 2005-09-08 18:53:19

srmeaney

Oh and Mundaka, next time you fuel up and head off to New Orleans with a load of water, remember: The petrol you bought financed what happened on september 11, 2001, and the water you bought pails into insignificance considering the staggering amount the suppliers of water to the Government aid program charged for theirs.

Every act of charity on your part is outweighed by an evil empire of profiteering and greed.

#82 2005-09-11 15:06:32

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#83 2005-09-11 15:37:37

John Creighton
Website

Oh and Mundaka, next time you fuel up and head off to New Orleans with a load of water, remember: The petrol you bought financed what happened on september 11, 2001, and the water you bought pails into insignificance considering the staggering amount the suppliers of water to the Government aid program charged for theirs.

You sound like a 2nd year freshman who just got seduced by his professor: "Oh Smarmy! You're so smart! A little lower please, to the left . . .  oh yeah."

What he forgot to do was teach you to think. To ask questions about his proclaimations, for example: The petrol purchased by China and Russia and Australia did not finance terrorism? Or are those countries -- and therefore you -- guilty of terrorism?

And someone forgot to teach you to be civil in your discussions. Part of the reason Russia and France didn't want the US to go into IRAQ is because they were able to get cheap oil from Iraqi. Also smeary didn't say you were guilty of terrorism. He said you were helping to finance it. The US took measures to help reduce the financing of terrorism by freezing bank accounts that could be tied to Alquida. Why not go a step further and say until you contries start doing more to get the terrorism in you countries under control we don't want your oil. Money is a powerful motivator.

Do you drive a car, use lightbulbs, or eat food produced by anything other than ox-driven plows? Do the oxen eat anything produced by anything other than ox driven plows? Do you drink water that comes from anything other than a windmill or is drawn from a well by bucket? Do You use a computer?

By your criteria you support terrorism -- which, considering your enthusiasm for communism, is no surprize.

This is a ridiculous argument. Smeary did not say to stop using gas he said to stop wasting it.  Reduction or elimination of the use of gas in automobile is a good start. Perhaps farm equipment will need gas after automobiles convert too electric or fuel cell. One step at a time. But the less the US relies of Oil the less other nations will be able to accuse them of fighting wars for oil and the more countries with oil will bend over backwards to get them to use it.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#84 2005-09-11 15:49:13

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#85 2005-09-11 16:28:26

John Creighton
Website

And someone forgot to teach you to be civil in your discussions.

Unbelievable. Smarmy posts nothing but anti-american hate and you say nothing. Where was your vaunted civility then, John? I'll bet a paycheck you sat back and giggled. Show a little -- just a little -- even handedness and I'll listen to the rest of your arguments.

What ever Smermy said or didn't say has nothing to do with the posts at hand. Why don't you just trash talk his family to. That would be equally as irrelevant. If you are too close minded to listen to any arguments then there is not really much to discuss.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#86 2005-09-11 17:51:06

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

#87 2005-09-11 18:33:37

John Creighton
Website

What ever Smermy said or didn't say has nothing to do with the posts at hand. Why don't you just trash talk his family to. That would be equally as irrelevant. If you are too close minded to listen to any arguments then there is not really much to discuss.

Well, for once you are right, considering that our arguments will go something like,

You: All Americans are blood drinking imperialist vampires who like to use the bodies of dead baby seals to bludgen baby whales to death.

Me: Well, actually, no.

You: How dare you say something in your defense! RACIST! CAPITALIST! VAMPIRE! WITCH!

OK, now that we have that out of the way, goodbye.

It shows a real sophistication in your arguments to accuse me of being something completely unrelated to what we are discussion in a vain attempt to further you argument. It kind of reminds me of the movie Mississippi burning when they KKK accused people of being communist who didn’t share all their views. I hope someday you will realize what kind of ignorance such attitudes display.

#88 2005-09-12 04:11:11

srmeaney

Do you support legislation restricting Petrol/fuel Retailers to 24 hours at a fixed price and provide 24 hours notice of the new price?

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=30350 US finds reason to invade Venezuela and secure all that oil...Certainly wouldnt want the Chinese Getting it.

#89 2005-09-14 05:22:25

srmeaney

Airline transport industries call oil producers profiteering swine!
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/co … 43,00.html

#90 2005-09-14 18:08:02

Grypd

What is truly hurting the price of Oil is not that we are producing too little from the ground it is that there is not enough refinery capacity to process the Oil. Though the damage to the Gulf of Mexico oil production capacity is bad it is the loss of 8 major refineries that has hurt the most. Those 8 refineries that are out of action are actually of greater capacity in total than the 8 that are present in Saudi Arabia.

Though it is possible to actually produce all the Oil that is needed and an excess for storage too we actually do not have the refinery capacity to process that much. Oil refineries across the world have been on flat out rates for many months now and wear and tear begins to be a big problem. Many refineries are in urgent need for a shutdown and overhaul and a good check.

Sir Richard Branson a major buisness figure here in the UK and incidentally heavily involved in Virgin Galactic the partner for Burt Rutan has announced intentions to build and operate his own refinery. The reason he needs a consistent source of fuel for his aircraft (Virgin Airways) and has offered to the other major European Airlines a chance to join in to secure there Fuel.

There is good news that 4 of the 8 refineries will be back even if to limited production by friday but it still does not solve the problem the world has. Oil demand is often cyclable with demand increasing in the Northen Hemispheres Winter and Spring months and reducing in the other months. We can store Oil but with our lack of refinery capacity we struggle to make enough refined products and the producers know that if they make too much they will have to store it at there cost and sell at reduced prices. These producers are therefore not interested in actually increasing the refinery capacity why should they it would lose them money. What has to be done is to actually have goverments build refineries so that there is surplus refinery capacity and then stockpiling of fuel can be done for major disasters and when reduced oil and petrol production happens.

This will involve a loss to these goverments but you have to ask just how expensive and devisive has the recent oil shock been to the world and it can only get worse. Better put a fix in now as there is plenty of things that could put bigger stresses on the price of Oil. (Major civil war in Iraq spilling across borders!!!!)

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#91 2005-09-14 18:34:00

srmeaney

Hah! Virgin Oil...!!! I'm sure they killed themselves over that joke in the boardroom.

#92 2005-09-15 05:21:53

Grypd

Hah! Virgin Oil...!!! I'm sure they killed themselves over that joke in the boardroom.

They laughed so much that British airways(Virgin Airways arch rival) and the British goverment have come on board. They are now currently looking for sites for this new refinery either Europe or Nigeria. In fact they laughed so much on the stock market it made Virgin airways quite a few points up and Richard Branson another couple of million Pounds.

Airlines are in serious trouble with there biggest problem the 9/11 factor and now the increased fuel costs. Today two US airlines have sued for Bankruptcy protection. This is Northwest and Delta they now join United and US airways in the legal limbo of Chapter 11.

The reason given for this is Costs. The cost of insurance and the cost of Fuel.

Im laughing too I have shares in Virgin  lol

#93 2005-09-15 05:59:07

clark

Im laughing too I have shares in Virgin

I've had my share of Virgins.

#94 2005-09-15 06:41:16

clark

Something a bit more meaningful.

A first! Something to set PETA against the Environmental Wacko Wing!

Lady and Gentlemen, and Mundaka, I give you the brave new future of our coming liberation from petrol!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/09 … index.html

Do your part to fight terroism! Kill a cat today!

20 meows to the gallon!

Make your car purrrrrrrr!

Get more gas, for less, with dead cats!

Here kitty-kitty... time for a road trip...

#95 2005-09-15 11:55:01

John Creighton
Website

Something a bit more meaningful.

A first! Something to set PETA against the Environmental Wacko Wing!

Lady and Gentlemen, and Mundaka, I give you the brave new future of our coming liberation from petrol!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/09 … index.html

Do your part to fight terroism! Kill a cat today!

20 meows to the gallon!

Make your car purrrrrrrr!

Get more gas, for less, with dead cats!

Here kitty-kitty... time for a road trip...

Wow it sounds economical.

#96 2005-09-15 12:19:53

Palomar

*Price of gasoline drops in my area by 10 cents per gallon.  Average price for regular unleaded is $2.89; supreme is $3.09.

Sam's Club is selling for $2.87 per gallon reg/unleaded, as are two other discount stations.

--Cindy

#97 2005-09-15 12:27:19

clark

Sounds as if the cats might get a small reprieve.

#98 2005-09-15 15:59:04

srmeaney

*Price of gasoline drops in my area by 10 cents per gallon. Average price for regular unleaded is $2.89; supreme is $3.09.

It dropped by that much even in Australia. It is purely a temporary reprieve. The price of oil is now very close to its supply vs demand value and will continue to rise.

#99 2005-09-18 08:52:21

srmeaney

Just saw a Docufilm shot in early 2005 about a ficticious Hurricane (Julia) occuring in september 1st 2005 destroying the Louisiana oil network and taking out its rigs.

Price of oil climbs to 70 dollars a barrel by october 1st. Americans are disrespecting the hell out of each other at the gas station, Troops are deployed to Saudi Arabia to support increased oil production by the Saudi government for its American friends... Six tankers are directed to the US to Houstons Oil refineries and sea port. Terrorists take out most of the Oil infrastructure in Saudi Arabia cutting her output by a third.

This pushes oil to 80 dollars a barrel by november. A tanker collision in huston port with a chemical freighter takes out the port over christmas and the price of heating oil pushes to the point where the winter kills tens of thousand of Americans.

To combat the cost of oil which has now reached 100 dollars a barrel by christmas, they cut the farm subsidies which ruins the food production ability of the US. Only half the farms are putting in crops. The Russians direct three tankers to the US before next Easter to help the US.

China bids 120 dollars a barrel for the Russian Oil and suddenly The tankers (privatised oil) divert to China. US market colapse as US becomes the number two country in the World.

US rapidly declines as nation wide rioting breaks out. People killing for a tank of gas which is now at 200 dollars to fuel up the SUV. USa in a crisis, Cuts a deal with the Russians for those Oil tankers. Pays 128 a barrel and invests heavily in Russian oil infrastructure to boost their capacity for output.

Markets slowly drop back to 78 dollars a barrel...The new market price of oil.

The film is called Oil Storm...Wow, It predicted it so well except in reality Saudis said no to upping production. So this winter will be brutal. And the USA will be forced to invade Venezuela for needed oil for personal use in 2006.

#100 2005-09-18 09:31:22

Grypd

Interesting little point here about China and Russia.

Japan and China where in competition with each other to get a new pipeline to the pacific. Needless to say many offers of very low interest loans and orders where on the table from both countries so that they could the energy they need to run as countries.

Japan believed it had won the line that would have then ended in Nakhodka and within very close tankerage distance to Japan and the refineries there. But President Putin this week during an interview with western journalists informed them that it would instead go to China and there lines from Daqing to there refineries.

There was a small sweetner that a future smaller pipeline would be put to Nakhodka but for Japan this an incredible blow and a resumption of what in Britain is called the great game. The gist is that countries in Asia are looking at Russia and the Oil from her as crucial to there economies and so the game is played in how to control it. So Russia gains power and so did China this week.

Board footer