New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2005-12-24 13:13:29

Rxke

#77 2005-12-24 17:34:41

Josh Cryer

Re: Spammer

Thanks.

What would you say about becoming a moderator Rxke? Only thing is that you shouldn't feel like you have to do anything or be here more often than you are, it's not a burden, just a bit of ability for when you are around. I think things are okay for now, but I could see adding you to the list of green guys.

Merry Christmas guys! smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#78 2005-12-25 03:34:33

Rxke

Fine by me, Josh,

We'll talk more about this at the monthly skull and bones gathering?  lol

#79 2005-12-25 06:17:20

Rxke

spammer/troll

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 5248#85248

hard to say, when one can post w/o logging in, but in a very short timeframe (I mean minutes, not hours) several borderline senseless posts, all by a guest and some spamming on the wiki...

#80 2005-12-25 06:29:15

Rxke

Spammer

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 5254#85254

Clearly someone is enjoying himself...

#81 2005-12-25 18:01:09

Josh Cryer

Thanks.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#82 2005-12-26 01:58:22

Rxke

Thanks.

That's the first person I've met that says 'thank you' to spam!  lol  wink

#83 2005-12-26 07:05:39

Rxke

#84 2005-12-27 09:02:25

Rxke

I see I'm a moderator  big_smile

So I won't bother you anymore in this list. Thanks, Josh.

#85 2005-12-27 10:19:33

Cobra Commander

I see I'm a moderator

Welcome to the Skull and Bones gang Rxke! Now you can dispense dictatorial decrees and indiscriminate censorship with us!  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#86 2005-12-27 10:22:44

Rxke

AAAaaaaaaRRRRR!

lol

#87 2005-12-27 15:06:11

clark

A misfit, a crank, a throwback, and a melodramatic nut.

This is the making of a very bad joke. I leave it to you all to figure out which one is which.

Of course, I’m just the self proclaimed idiot, off in a dusty corner. So don’t mind me. Not that you do. Or did, much, anyway. tongue

Remember, Reach For Your Toes!

#88 2005-12-28 01:49:33

Rxke

I reached for my toes and crashed my jaw into my desk. Hard.

lol

#89 2006-01-05 04:08:26

Rxke

Is it really neccesary to keep Meta New Mars open to unsubscribed people?

I've seen little or no reason for it, and it gets abused on a regular basis by 'guests' just posting spam...

If someone wants to post something meaningful, what's keeping them from registering? This is not a controversial politics-forum (not supposed to, anyway... wink ) so privacy-issues are not the reason. Anyway it's not that registering is making sure your stuff gets sent to the CIA/FBI/ISA lol

Only reason I could see is peeps losing their login details, but a button "contact ye Admin" could cater for that rare situation.

I just hate spam. I just hate to see every day the first section of the board being spammed.

So why not do away with the whole "unregistered persons may post" policy?

#90 2006-01-05 06:57:48

clark

An unregistered user posting means I can generally ignore anything they post. Don't muck that up.

If people don't want to register, then don't force the issue. 99% of this board is only open for posting to registered users, so what do we really get by walling off the last section?

Besides, how else will I be ablt to tout my latest sex-enhancer toy?  tongue

#91 2006-01-05 07:21:56

Rxke

An unregistered user posting means I can generally ignore anything they post.

So in the best case unregistered posts are just there, taking up space and bandwidth. Cruft in other words.

If people don't want to register, then don't force the issue.

No, if they don't want to register, feel free to go elsewhere.

99% of this board is only open for posting to registered users, so what do we really get by walling off the last section?

Less spam, less idiots, less uninterested time-wasters.

Walling-off? You make it sound like it's a big deal, It's not like you have to give your SSN to get registered or something. you can make up an identity, use a throwaway email-adress etc.

If one thinks registering is too much asked, It's saying something about the 'drive' behind that person, IMO.

#92 2006-01-05 09:48:32

clark

So in the best case unregistered posts are just there, taking up space and bandwidth. Cruft in other words.

Most registered posts are just taking up space and bandwidth. This would be a pointless exercise in patting ourselves on the back without actually accomplishing anything.

No, if they don't want to register, feel free to go elsewhere.

So Rxke, are you just tired of fighting the endless wave (after wave) of spam? Thank you for your staunch defense, but you did step forward for the job.

Less spam, less idiots, less uninterested time-wasters.

I don't think walling off this area is going to really improve the situation all that much. Who posts in here anyway? The occassional person needing help with their account, or you admins.

Walling-off? You make it sound like it's a big deal, It's not like you have to give your SSN to get registered or something. you can make up an identity, use a throwaway email-adress etc.

If one thinks registering is too much asked, It's saying something about the 'drive' behind that person, IMO.

It's not a big deal, but I prefer to let others interact on their own terms. Then I tear them apart.  tongue  big_smile

I just feel it is more welcoming to allow at least one part of the place to be open. Think of it as an electronic ‘welcome mat’. Sometimes you get solicitors. Maybe we can put up a sign, like “beware of dog”… instead it could be, I dunno, “beware of clark”.  lol

#93 2006-01-05 10:15:20

clark

I'm guessing Josh.

#94 2006-01-05 11:01:16

Rxke

So Rxke, are you just tired of fighting the endless wave (after wave) of spam? Thank you for your staunch defense, but you did step forward for the job.

No, I'm pointing out a problem. Spammers. If you know a better way to prevent them, good, point it out.

It's just that I don't like the fact that the spammers get free advertising space here. One script could flood the board with nonsense, spam, and other niceties.

#95 2006-01-05 11:12:42

clark

Okay, the alternative then is to do as you suggest, and only allow registered users to post. We then end up with a whole slew of registered users with small post counts, and the admins having to guess if the "new guy" is a spammer or not based on a handful of posts and only after some warnings.

You end up trading your time upfront because now you have to research each individual that registers and determine if they are really spamming. You then have to give warnings. You then have to start banning registered users, deleting posts in the rest of the forum because now the only way for the spammers to post is to become registered.

By keeping the threshold low for spamming, the lazy spammers just go for the open window- the honey pot as it were. This is generally why the rest of the forum is not littered with spam. The spammers just go for the easy area.

I would rather see it confined, and i think having one small area to confine it to makes the most sense. You will never escape spam.

For what it is worth, lock down meta thread and create a new area that is open to non-registered users. I don't care what you call it, but I for one generally never get involved into a board if I have to register first before posting anywhere. I just find it offensive on some level (i don't know why). But that is me.

#96 2006-01-05 11:37:40

Rxke

Okay, the alternative then is to do as you suggest, and only allow registered users to post. We then end up with a whole slew of registered users with small post counts, and the admins having to guess if the "new guy" is a spammer or not based on a handful of posts and only after some warnings.

Why give warning to a spammer? And I'm talking about the ones that now just add a bunch of links to medication and such.

Spammers go to the easy spot, so shutting that 'pot' rids you of 'lazy' spammers. (bots) the other kind is far rarer, and another class of spammer altogether.

'nother pointless discussion, I know.

#97 2006-01-05 11:42:32

clark

Is spamming really that out of control?

#98 2006-01-05 11:52:13

Rxke

i have the -admittedly subjective- impression it is rather bad. Every time I log in, there's one or more guest-posts touting stuff. And I (of course wink ) assume most of it i don't ever see, 'because it gets deleted by other people before I can go shopping lol .

And I think, if someone would start actually clicking the supplied links with cookies etc. enabled, it could get worse fast, refferals go around in those circles rather quickly, I'd guess

Again, subjective... Dunno if Josh can go through logs or something, otherwise admins could agree to not delete it for a week and see how bad or not-bad it is. The wiki got quite some page-filler bots, but it seems to've tailed off recently due to some merciless banning... (I'm sure that last observation will bite me in the rear, soon, heehee)

#99 2006-01-05 12:21:55

clark

meh.

Do as you see fit. None of this really concerns me.

I don't read the spam. I don't follow the spam. I think those that do either deserve what they get.

If people don't want to register, more power to them. if they do, more power to them. Whatever.

I choose to embrace my personal ambivelance.

Board footer