New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2004-11-22 11:43:23

ERRORIST

Re: Upside down "U" shaped manometer carbon nano tube

That is why both ends are open within this 7 km airspace. It would allow for natural circulation throughout the whole tube that is an enclosed pipeline.

#52 2004-11-22 12:09:30

John Creighton
Website

That is why both ends are open within this 7 km airspace. It would allow for natural circulation throughout the whole tube that is an enclosed pipeline.

So what. What do you do for the next 7km. GSO is 36 000 km.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#53 2004-11-22 12:50:53

ERRORIST

It should siphon throughout the whole column just as liquids do at sea level. As long as one end is lower than the other the liquid will rise up over a higher wall and then flow downward to the lower elevation untill the tank is empty above it. It plays a trick on gravity SO TO SAY.

#54 2004-11-22 13:03:54

GCNRevenger

FINALLY, he said the magic word...

Errorist, did you know that a syphon doesn't cheat gravity? Did you know that gravity affects all things, including gasses and liquids, no matter what?

Apparently you don't know.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#55 2004-11-22 13:15:47

GCNRevenger

You also don't seem to understand a SINGLE THING about the compressability of gasses either.

Gasses are not liquids. Gasses do not behave as liquids.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#56 2004-11-22 15:21:17

ERRORIST

They do once you compress them into a liquid.

#57 2004-11-22 15:24:15

GCNRevenger

But then they aren't gasses anymore, and don't behave like them.

#58 2004-11-22 15:31:40

ERRORIST

They do once you compress them into a liquid.

#59 2004-11-22 15:35:54

GCNRevenger

Time to Get Small again Errorist...

A gas is the name we give to the state of matter when molecules are unbound; that is, they are free to move about at random and are not strongly associated with eachother at all.

A liquid falls under the catagory of "condensed matter," that is, the molecules are bound pretty strongly, and are essentially in continuous contact with eachother. They can however reposition themselves at will, but they have to stay together as one "blob."

Now, if you compress a gas enough at low temperatures, the natural speed of the molecules will be slow enough that it cannot overcome the attractive forces between them, so they stick together, and so you have a liquid.

Liquids are not gasses.

#60 2004-11-22 15:42:57

ERRORIST

They are once you heat them up enough.

#61 2004-11-22 15:44:10

John Creighton
Website

They are once you heat them up enough.

So what. What is your point?

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#62 2004-11-22 15:49:04

ERRORIST

Whats GCNs point?

#63 2004-11-22 21:32:58

Austin Stanley
Website

This is realy getting quite looney.

There is no way a siphon could lift water up to orbit.  First off it be incredibly impracticle to try and prime such a huge siphon.  Even a perfect vacume can only lift water like 10m against Earth's gravity. 

Secoundly, even after you have primed the siphon, it doesn't get the water into orbit.  A siphon cannot raise water higher than when it started, only lower.  So all you might manage to achive is sending the liquid on several thousand kilometer trip, for no pupouse.  Congradulations.

Thirdly, it still won't work.  Gravity will counteract the force of atmospheric pressure after only about 10 METERS!  Much less the many kilometers you need to get up into orbit.  The entire idea is incredibly stupid.

As for pumping anything to oribt, while it might be possible, it is incredibly impracticle.  The mass of the pipes, and the water would be incredible.  Halling the water up in elevator cars is SO much simpler and more practicle.  The idea of a pipline to orbit is just looney.  (Well on Earth at least, it might make sense elseware, but that's another story).

Also, people need to just face it, you can't cheat your way to oribt.  Not via capilary action, not via siphons, gravity wheels, or whatever other loony idea you might come up with.  It takes alot of energy to get up there, and you have to spend that energy to get there. period.

Lastly, these topics rightly belong in Interplanetary transportation I think, not here.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#64 2004-11-22 22:17:57

ERRORIST

There is no way a siphon could lift water up to orbit.  First off it be incredibly impracticle to try and prime such a huge siphon.  Even a perfect vacume can only lift water like 10m against Earth's gravity.

How do you know did you ever try it?

Secoundly, even after you have primed the siphon, it doesn't get the water into orbit.  A siphon cannot raise water higher than when it started, only lower.  So all you might manage to achive is sending the liquid on several thousand kilometer trip, for no pupouse.  Congradulations.

That is why the other end of the siphon is 1000 feet lower than the upper end. It should take the path of least resistance. It doesn't matter how high in altitude the water raises. The acceleration of gravity is greater on the long side of the U tube compared to acceleration of gravity on the short side of the tube thus creating an imbalance of pressure and therefore creating a flow.Gravity is working on both sides of the tube but not in = amounts.

#65 2004-11-22 22:36:07

GCNRevenger

Ah typical, when a man's opinion is so deep seated, that even when presented with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, demands personal verification, hence placing the burden of proof on the man with the evidence instead of the man without.

This is getting quite pathetic Errorist, you HAVE to address the problems in the fundimental principles of your idea. They are called fundimental principles because they underpin all things, and it is principle with a definite statement which is a logical test for your idea.

If your idea violates the fundimental principles, there is no need for experimentation, because we know it is wrong in advance... it isn't worth even bothering with. Your idea violates the fundimental principles of gravity, the kenetics of gasses, and probobly thermodynamics depending on how you look at it.

How a syphon works is to create a zone of low pressure inside a tube, where liquids flow through it by being pushed by the outside air. As Austin has stated, even if priming the pipe creates a perfect vacuum, the Earth's gravity will pull the water down harder then the vacuum pulls it up after only 100ft, not 24,000 miles.

I think that there are so many contradictions to fundimental principles in your idea that you might as well scrap the whole thing.

#66 2004-11-22 22:36:38

Austin Stanley
Website

It's physics man, physics.  And to answer your question while I have personaly never done it, I have seen it demonstrated on Mr. Wizard when I was younger.

#67 2004-11-22 23:03:34

Austin Stanley
Website

Errorist, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.  A quick talk with any science teacher, or about 30 secounds on goggle should prove all this to you.  You are seriously mistaken about how and why a siphon works.

You see a siphon works due to diffrences in air-pressure on the two sides, which I guess is indirectly due to gravity.  And while you are semi-correct in that there is more pressure on the low-side, in this case it still doesn't matter.  As that diffrence in pressure in no where NEAR great enough to draw the water up several thousand kilometers.  There is a limit to the power of vacume, it's not some magical force.

And again, even if it did work, what the heck is the point in sending water up to orbit and back?  Why, oh why would you want to do that?

#68 2004-11-22 23:03:59

ERRORIST

Help me Mr. Wizard. Where are you? Well, in the case for gasses since the two openings are at two different elevations what would happen? one is at or near sea level and the other at 1000 feet?

#69 2004-11-22 23:16:01

GCNRevenger

Nothing. Nothing would happen. The gasses would just sit there.

I've told you why five times now, and you continue to hammer away with your insane idea, oblivious.

#70 2004-11-22 23:22:49

ERRORIST

The gas would no more just sit there then it would just sit in a non used smoke stack. Natural circulation would take place because of the elevation difference of the two openings....

#71 2004-11-22 23:38:39

GCNRevenger

Think for just once, just THINK.

What would happen if I used a big smoke stack. Say it was a MILE wide. Would there be an air flow then because of circulation? That goes all the way up to GEO?

#72 2004-11-23 11:05:49

GCNRevenger

No, there wouldn't be any flow, would there? What if it were as wide as the Earth? Still no flow. Our atmosphere is like this, and it doesn't blow away. So why would a tiny one have a flow?

Board footer