New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-07-04 08:05:57

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Re: Save the Martians! - Why Mar Soc Members are Morally Corrupt

Why worry about destroying any martain life?  I see all focus on preserving it. . .but no rational defense of it.  would the world be worse or better if all the martian life was destroyed?What happens if there is no life?  (hence no ecological balance to maintain)  who is it that has the power to make the rules of preservation of nonsteinent (spelling:() life?  And what is their justification to preserve mars if no life does exsit?  ???

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#27 2003-07-07 04:51:37

Shaun Barrett

There's life on Mars. Trust me.
                                              cool

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#28 2003-07-08 12:59:53

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

'Aboard the Starship Enterprise....'

Okay, I'm a Trek fan. But I read this far, and.... stopped. One thought had I; 'Get back to reality.'

I agree.  using pop culture as a excuse not to terraform reflects poorly on nova. . . . .of course many might say zubrin is sci fi but the arguement he writes is def not sci fi. . . . .use something more canonatical in your agruement  ???

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#29 2003-09-26 14:52:47

Earthfirst

Reality chech, we dont live in the 23 century, we dont have ships that can travel to far off worlds ie other suns. The only aliens we have come into contact are the ilegal kind that are destorying America. We cant even manged to get a little shuttle into orbit with out it blowing up. All of nasa buget goes to the stupid iss, a floating peace of junk. Liberal degenerates are selling America out. "Aclu interfearing with states rights, we have to understand islamic street, instead of blowing them up before they blow us up. "Israle has lreaned this listen the hard way.
So why do we have some stupid prime directive from some stupid scfi show telling us how to do things. Forget about star terk this is the real world. If we kill some mars bacteria big deal, if any thing mars live would benifit from terriforming, allowing it to spreed all over the planet. Its selfish thinking like that will only serve to hamper Mankinds exploration of are solar system and beyond. Only fools would expect the rest of the world live by some silie scfi code. Mankind is going to do what it wants any thing in its way better run, it just the way things are. If you look at are history man does what want with no cocern of it conquences, Beware Mars earth has you in its sights. No one going listen to a bunch sillie scf codes.
Deal with it Star Terk does not matter to the rest of the world
besides you proble got a lot more sillie saying from other scfi books or shows.

I love plants!

#30 2003-09-29 03:46:42

alokmohan

Why save martians?Survival for fittest.Of course we should know mars well enugh to transfomit it like earth.

#31 2003-10-06 14:19:35

Earthfirst

If there one thing that I have lreaned on earth it is this, life is though it can surive in condiction we would find impossble to live in. So maybe the might some sort of bacteria like life living in a saline aguafir deep below the surface. Simliar to what survices in antartica and the artic. So if humans colonys mars and build  citys, in less poeple drain the aguafir than the life know were there. I know about agafirs because it is a big problem in my home state of Arizona. Develpor decde to build a big gulf course for a bunch old people who want to live near sedona, near the verde rivers headwaters to make everything perrty and the use wells to water. but there not a lot to replace from rain and snow so a cone depresion forms sucking the verde river dry. Which is bad for the fish, trees and animals that denpend on it for life, and for people how like trees and fising like me. I realy hate those eastern farts up sedona talking about magic crystals and vortexs, mean while there destorying Arizona and turning into another California, keep your liberal ideas on the other side of the colorado. Stop immargating here and ruining Arizona, we are conseritives and want to stay that way!
Anyways life is tough and if mars is terraformed it will adapt and theirve. You think earth life is a cancer but I am sure earth and mar life will get along just fine.
Fyi I am happy with the liberals just flying over use going back and forth to LA and New York, my problem is from all the califorin and new yorks esacping the hell those places are and trying to turn Arizona into another socialsit liberial utopia. For crying loud there going to hold a national democrat debate here, they must think because of all the illegal alian here that it becoming a liberal state, but the are wrong, mexicans dont vote, they just suck up the state bugets with all the social programs they use. Its what happened in California, but the liberials only solution is to raise taxes, not cut social spending
In my veiw it just sick, and a lot of other people fell the same way! smile

I love plants!

#32 2003-10-07 05:29:26

alokmohan

Back to main point.there is no higher form of life in mars.So terraforming cant be illegal.

Board footer