New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-09-19 16:26:49

VTTFSH_T
Banned

Re: Provide the Moon with atmosphere - oxygen one

It's simple.  100º C is the boiling point, and 0º is the freezing point of water.  This is "everiday" chemistry.  I guess you FAILED that class.

P.S. What the hell is "everiday logic?"

ggkthnx big_smile

#27 2005-09-19 16:37:02

VTTFSH_V
Banned

Do you need some credible support?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Scroll about 1/8 down "Index to HyperPhysics at the right," and select "boiling point."

Have a nice day.  big_smile

#28 2005-09-20 02:05:09

karov

It's simple.  100º C is the boiling point, and 0º is the freezing point of water.  This is "everiday" chemistry.  I guess you FAILED that class.

THiS is everyday logic.

#29 2005-09-20 19:11:31

VTTFSH_T
Banned

I see we have come to an accord.

ggkthnx big_smile

#30 2005-09-20 22:16:46

VTTFSH_V
Banned

THiS is everyday logic.

My friend was not actually asking "what the hell is everyday logic?"  He meant to make fun of the misspelling, made by Earthfirst, "everiday."

Have a nice day.  big_smile

#31 2005-09-21 07:01:53

karov

OK. I undestand - perhaps the misspelling was mine not to Earthfirst. English is not my best language. I beg you pardon.

#32 2005-09-21 11:22:57

VTTFSH_T
Banned

It's ok.  Read the end of the forum to understand the Earthfirst joke.
http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=400

ggkthnx big_smile

#33 2005-09-22 01:38:06

Austin Stanley
Website

While I agree that the plan to add an oxygen atmosphere to the moon is an ambitious and exotic one, that doesn't necessarily mean it is impossible.  It is to simplistic to look at the current day-night cycle of temperature on the moon and the reject the idea as impossible.    This is the everyday logic which Karov was referring to.

For one the addition of an atmosphere will add a huge heat sink to the planet which it currently does not posses.  A large oxygen atmosphere will do a much better at retaining heat and maintaining a common temperature than the ground will.  This is due to both it's superior Specific and Volumetric heat capacity AND because the solar radiation will be spread out across a much larger amount of mass then it is currently.

Also, an atmosphere is obviously not constrained to remaining in one location as the ground is.  As gasses are heated they expand and cooled they contract.  The expansion (which results in a rise in pressure) will force the hotter gases over to the cooler side of the planet, which will create weather on the planet, which has a moderating effect on overall temperature.  Although these storms may be sevear without rotation and the coriolis effect, there will be no hurricanes on the moon.

The movment of air also allows heat to be transmited by convection which is by and large the most effective method of heat transfer.  Currently on the moon heat is only transmited by conduction, which is not very great in dirt.  The action of an atmosphere will certianly be several orders of magnitude greater.

It should also be rembered that the moon's much smaller diameter ~3500km, about 1/4 of Earth's, makes for a much smaller area for the heat to be transfered in.

All of these reasons make you simplistic reasoning inadiquate for the challange at hand.  And we have not even begun the discussion of artifical methods that could be employed (such orbital mirrors and shades).  Most certianly this is an exotic and ambitious project that we wouldn't be looking at doing for the next milliniea at the earliest.  But nearly all terraformation projects are so, since they are on a scale so much larger than what we have done before.  And rejecting it out of hand (much less making fun of someone's spelling) is uncalled for.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.

#34 2005-09-23 04:53:39

karov

Before you consider if an atmosphere would be sustainable on the moon, it is desirable to know something about meteorology.

The moon is about 100ºC at noon, and about -173ºC at night.  Now say an atmosphere was introduced.  The cool air would want to sink, causing high pressure, and the warm air would want to rise, causing low pressure.  But because of the major temperature differences, you would have insane pressure systems at both extremes.  Since an atmosphere always works to restore equilibrium, air moves into low-pressure areas from the high-pressure areas (always in that sequence).  This is more commonly known as "wind."  So, on the moon, the air would be RUSHING to low-pressure zones, madly trying to maintain equilibrium in such largely different pressure zones.  Such an atmosphere would be very turbulent and therefore very unpleasant in which to live.

On the moon, we should stick to enclosed atmospheres.

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … c&start=80

read this about lunar meteorology.

Board footer