New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-10-10 10:07:53

dickbill

Re: Mercury Terraformation?

Terraforming mercury interests me precisely because it is nearest to sun.

why ?

#27 2003-10-11 05:12:27

alokmohan

tHE ONLY ONE OF ITS TYPE.tHERE WILL BE TWO SUNRISES PROBABLY.iT WILL BE NICE TOURING PLACE.

#28 2003-10-11 08:50:59

~Eternal~

Terraforming mercury interests me precisely because it is nearest to sun.

why ?

Do you realize how much O3 would be need for it 8).
The skys would be filled with a purple haze and a magnificent brillant Star taking up most of the sky.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#29 2003-10-12 04:48:02

alokmohan

But for tourists wont it be nice?I long to go.

#30 2003-10-12 07:40:41

dicktice

Regarding Mercury: My single suggestion for making it habitable, on the surface away from the Sun, would be to slow its rotation to match its orbital period. This should be possible since it's nearly that now, with a tendency towards synchronism already in force--it just needs a little help to "lock-in" for our purposes sooner. (The best way to do this is left as a "student exercise.") Domed surface colonies, shielded from the Sun, should then not only be feasible, but practical places to live, work and transport metals and minerals from, returning with tourists via Solar sailing ships galore! employed in continuous Mercury-Earth, Mercury-Venus and Mercury-Mars orbital commerce.

#31 2003-10-12 07:55:28

Shaun Barrett

Makes as much sense as anything else I've read about terraforming Mercury!
                                          :;):

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#32 2003-10-12 10:24:41

Byron

Makes as much sense as anything else I've read about terraforming Mercury!
                                          :;):

I agree!  big_smile

B

#33 2003-10-13 04:49:29

alokmohan

Regarding Mercury: My single suggestion for making it habitable, on the surface away from the Sun, would be to slow its rotation to match its orbital period. This should be possible since it's nearly that now, with a tendency towards synchronism already in force--it just needs a little help to "lock-in" for our purposes sooner. (The best way to do this is left as a "student exercise.") Domed surface colonies, shielded from the Sun, should then not only be feasible, but practical places to live, work and transport metals and minerals from, returning with tourists via Solar sailing ships galore! employed in continuous Mercury-Earth, Mercury-Venus and Mercury-Mars orbital commerce.

We may think of it seriously.

Board footer