New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-08-09 07:24:57

Cobra Commander

Re: July 16, 1945

*Change is inevitable.

Too many lives lost, too much suffering for the sake of stasis (which, societally speaking, ultimately proves itself to be an illusion).

Japan was an interesting case, an essentially feudal mindset with advanced (imported) industrial capacity. They had the tools of modernity but not having developed them themselves they hadn't moved into the modern age socially or culturally.

No doubt the new ways were strange and threatening to those rooted in a more traditional mindset. A modern Japanese military was bad enough, at least the core ideals of the culture were carried within it. Unconditional surrender? No, I can understand their willingness to fight on.

One could even argue that the demand for unconditional surrender, both in Europe and the Pacific, prolonged the war and cost far more lives than a couple nukes. Plenty of bloody hands to go around.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#27 2005-08-09 07:44:34

Palomar

One could even argue that the demand for unconditional surrender, both in Europe and the Pacific, prolonged the war and cost far more lives than a couple nukes.

*What sort(s) of conditions of surrender should have been negotiated for, then?  Just curious.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#28 2005-08-09 07:58:54

Cobra Commander

*What sort(s) of conditions of surrender should have been negotiated for, then? Just curious.

I was just being Devil's advocate more than anything, I probably would have pushed for unconditional surrender as well.

That said, and excusing that we actually did allow Japan to surrender conditionally by keeping the Emperor in place, there are any number of approaches that could have been taken. With Japan it could have involved withdrawal of all forces threatening US, British and Australian assets with a pledge from the allies to do the same for example. Many in the Japanese leadership wouldn't go for it, but who can say. Let them have China and the big bones of contention are cut down.

In the case of Germany it's simpler, Hitler never wanted war with England and had the allies been willing to sacrifice France for the time being in order to let Germany and Russia pound each other with full might things may have gone smoother from the perspective of the Western Allies.

Again, not my preferred approach but if one argues that the Japanese leadership is responsible for the deaths at Nagasaki by not surrendering after Hiroshima one can just as well argue that the American leadership is responsible for every Allied death from some arbitrary point onward by not allowing terms of surrender to be negotiated.

I suppose the real truth is that it takes two to have a war just as it it takes two to have a will imposed. Some Japanese decided more war was preferable to being imposed upon.

But then, I'd not only put the Enola Gay on public display unapologetically if it were my call, I'd gladly allow the bombing to be commemorated on stamps as well. It was a war, we won with honor, nothing to be ashamed of.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#29 2005-08-09 08:10:57

Palomar

Again, not my preferred approach but if one argues that the Japanese leadership is responsible for the deaths at Nagasaki by not surrendering after Hiroshima one can just as well argue that the American leadership is responsible for every Allied death from some arbitrary point onward by not allowing terms of surrender to be negotiated.

*But the A-bombs were in a class all of their own.  They were literally hell on Earth unleashed.  Not being argumentative, just reiterating...yes, I do blame the Japanese leadership for Nagasaki.  It was easy for the ones with the "fight on to the bitter end" mentality to be that way, sitting there "safely" in Tokyo and all those miles from Hiroshima; and of course the media was primitive compared to what it is today.  How much suffering must the people endure?  The initial blast, the shockwave, the inferno of flames, the radiation poisoning, the "black rain," the corpse-choked rivers...

At that point the Japanese leadership should have called for negotiations. 

Nagasaki could have been avoided.  Should have been avoided. 

Their culture was going to change one way or another.

Enough is enough.  Hiroshima was enough.  Should have been enough.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#30 2005-08-09 08:18:56

Cobra Commander

If your entire culture and way of life were threatened with destruction at the hands of utterly foreign invaders how much force would be required for you to give up and accept the new masters?

Those who answer along the lines of God himself could not make me kneel may have a profound insight into the mindset not only of the Japanese leadership of the time but the Jihadi wackos we face today.

#31 2005-08-09 08:33:49

Palomar

If your entire culture and way of life were threatened with destruction at the hands of utterly foreign invaders how much force would be required for you to give up and accept the new masters?

:?  The Japanese themselves were imperialist.  They also adopted some Westernisms (clothing, automobiles).  So they were, in part, willfully bringing about a change to their own culture.

How were we the foreign invaders?  They invaded Pearl Harbor prior to Hiroshima, of course. 

Those who answer along the lines of God himself could not make me kneel may have a profound insight into the mindset not only of the Japanese leadership of the time but the Jihadi wackos we face.

I agree with this, so I'm a bit confused as to the why of this interjection.  That is the mentality which I don't understand and which brought about Nagasaki.  I would have surrendered after Hiroshima. 

Oh...and prior to the Hiroshima mission, the guys who were slated to be part of that mission/on board the Enola Gay were to be shown a movie of the Trinity detonation.  The projector jammed and the film was ruined, so they were unable to see it.  I wonder what their reactions would have been if the projector hadn't jammed.  Guess we'll never know. 

--Cindy

#32 2005-08-09 08:46:22

Cobra Commander

The Japanese themselves were imperialist. They also adopted some Westernisms (clothing, automobiles). So they were, in part, willfully bringing about a change to their own culture.

Willfully adopting something and being forced to are very different things.

How were we the foreign invaders? They invaded Pearl Harbor prior to Hiroshima, of course.

We were preparing to conquer the Japanese main islands. Not sayign they didn't have it coming, but from their perspective we most certainly would be invaders.

Just as from their perspective the US Pacific fleet was the backbone of the blockade against Japan, thus giving them a strategic reason for eliminating that fleet by attackign Pearl Harbor.

I wonder what their reactions would have been if the projector hadn't jammed. Guess we'll never know.

Honestly my guess is that it would have been a mixture of "oh good lord, what are we doing" and "Kick ass!"

#33 2005-08-09 09:06:57

Palomar

*Just want to reiterate:  The Japanese leadership, IMO, should have surrendered after Hiroshima.  I'm genuinely surprised they did not, but again they were removed from the event and the instant media access we have today of course didn't exist back then.  Nagasaki could have and should have been avoided, and that event is entirely the fault of Japan's leaders.

Pres. Truman gave warning and requested surrender on July 26.  It was ignored.  Hiroshima.  Pres. Truman gave issued another warning and another request for surrender.  Ignored again.  Nagasaki.

We gave warning and requested surrender beforehand.  The Japanese certainly didn't pay us this courtesy prior to Pearl Harbor.

If the projected 1,000,000 lives (casualties) were ultimately spared (if that's true and not spin or hype), then I suppose it was unavoidable. 

Probably I'll always wonder how and why things can get so drastic so quickly...and will humans ever learn?  Damn that Japanese leadership for bringing this onto their people.  Regardless of all the factors combined, I'll always feel sorry for the people who were caught up in H and N.  I have compassion on them which their own leaders didn't have.  But isn't that the way it works?  Hitler was willing to sacrifice his people and said he'd abandon them if they failed him; Stalin slaughtered, tortured, imprisoned thousands of his fellow Russians.  Humans are truly a sad bunch.

--Cindy

#34 2005-08-09 09:28:27

Cobra Commander

*Just want to reiterate: The Japanese leadership, IMO, should have surrendered after Hiroshima. I'm genuinely surprised they did not, but again they were removed from the event and the instant media access we have today of course didn't exist back then. Nagasaki could have and should have been avoided, and that event is entirely the fault of Japan's leaders.

I understand what you're saying. It's not my intent to be confrontational either, merely to say that I understand why they wouldn't surrender.

Perhaps they also interpreted the American eagerness to get a quick surrender as us covering our lack of capacity to keep bombing on that scale. We only had two nukes, what if they'd still refused to surrender after Nagasaki? Interesting to ponder.

#35 2005-08-09 09:50:03

Palomar

*Just want to reiterate: The Japanese leadership, IMO, should have surrendered after Hiroshima. I'm genuinely surprised they did not, but again they were removed from the event and the instant media access we have today of course didn't exist back then. Nagasaki could have and should have been avoided, and that event is entirely the fault of Japan's leaders.

I understand what you're saying. It's not my intent to be confrontational either, merely to say that I understand why they wouldn't surrender.

Perhaps they also interpreted the American eagerness to get a quick surrender as us covering our lack of capacity to keep bombing on that scale. We only had two nukes, what if they'd still refused to surrender after Nagasaki? Interesting to ponder.

*No problem, Cobra.  I have this tendency to interpret things very literally which sometimes leads to communication gaps.  Hard to describe, but your playing at devil's advocate did throw me a bit. 

As for your last paragraph, it was mentioned on the Discovery Channel program that Mr. Suzuki (IIRC) misunderstood Pres. Truman's message.  Or it was perhaps a matter of translation.  His interpretation of the message was that Truman feared defeat and so was "bluffing."  Thus, the silent treatment (a Japanese word was mentioned at that point in the program, which has a couple of nuances of meaning...but basically silence of disdain/contempt).  Yeah, I thought about that (what if they'd continued to refuse surrender after Nagaski?).  The U.S. gov't had already spent $2 billion on the Manhattan Project by that point, which included the cost of the Hiroshima bombing.  I suppose it included the "Fat Man" bomb dropped on Nagasaki as well.  Did the U.S. have the wherewithal to build more A-bombs?  2 billion was a lot of money in 1945 (still is, of course). 

And would the U.S. have had the resolve to go beyond Nagasaki with additional A-bomb missions? 

I'm glad we never found out.

--Cindy

#36 2005-08-09 09:50:12

BWhite

-- Some experts estimate that, if D-Day had been delayed for only another 6-12 months, the Nazis would probably have had weapons in their hands which could have turned the tide of the war in their favour.

Perhaps and perhaps not. This point is controversial.

But anyway, the Soviets still would have been darn close to Berlin by the Summer of 1945 and without D-Day a few A-bombs would have killed maybe one or two hundred thousand Russian soldiers but even that would not have changed the final result.

No D-Day? Joe Stalin would have rolled all the way to the English Channel, a Nazi A-bomb or not.

Google Operation Bagration, which started on the Russian front within days of June 6, 1944. Wikipedia has a decent article.

= = =

My idea for a "what if" alt-history novel?  Moved to the new fiction section.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#37 2005-08-09 09:54:44

BWhite

Those who answer along the lines of God himself could not make me kneel may have a profound insight into the mindset not only of the Japanese leadership of the time but the Jihadi wackos we face today.

Indeed!

In Iraq we are fighting against testosterone more than we are fighting against Islamo-fascism.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#38 2005-08-09 20:31:53

Shaun Barrett

Bill:-

Perhaps and perhaps not. This point is controversial.

But anyway, the Soviets still would have been darn close to Berlin by the Summer of 1945 and
without D-Day a few A-bombs would have killed maybe one or two hundred thousand Russian
soldiers but even that would not have changed the final result.

No D-Day? Joe Stalin would have rolled all the way to the English Channel, a Nazi A-bomb or
not.

Google Operation Bagration, which started on the Russian front within days of June 6, 1944.
Wikipedia has a decent article.

I agree absolutely that this whole game of "what if" is wreathed in controversy - that's what makes it such a fascinating pastime over dinner and a few glasses of good wine!
-- In this case, the scenario postulated by "the experts" delays D-Day by 6-12 months, probably an unlikely eventuality, since Stalin had been screaming for a second front for a long time at that stage. The 'fun' part is wondering whether, and when, Hitler would have released his divisions in the west and whether their introduction into the fray on the eastern front would have substantially slowed the Soviet advance. If D-Day had been delayed for only a few months (say, 4 months), the prospects of crossing the notoriously treacherous English Channel in October most likely would have meant its postponement until at least May the next year. As it was, finding an opening in the weather in June '44 proved to be very difficult, and that was supposed to be summer! (I've seen enough English 'summers' to know whereof I speak, too!  wink )

-- If ... more 'ifs' (! ) .. Hitler had felt safe enough in the west, or sufficiently desperate in the east, by September/October '44, to transfer his 59 divisions in France to the Russian front, how much time might that have bought for the Nazis?
-- Naturally, we can never know the answers to any of these kinds of questions. But the disconcerting fact remains that Nazi Germany was close to getting hold of some scary hardware as the war drew to a close. And even small changes in the fortunes of that war could conceivably have given them just enough time to do so, although I admit it's all very unlikely given the ferocity of the Soviet attacks at the time.
-- However, a German A-Bomb in December '44, and if they'd had enough of them of course, may yet have turned back the red hordes in my opinion. Stalin may have urged his troops onward between the mushroom clouds but I think the sheer 'shock and horror' of nuclear explosions would have caused disarray in the Soviet ranks - especially as hundreds of thousands of burns and radiation-sickness victims began pouring back into Russia from the front lines. The Soviets were a tough battle-hardened people but you can't pit human flesh against nuclear fire -
morale would have cracked I'm sure.

-- Incidentally, I followed the discussion, with interest, between Cindy and CC about the Japanese failure to capitulate after Hiroshima and before Nagasaki. But I'm not sure there actually is any correct interpretation of those events because it may not be possible to see the situation from the perspective of each side after such a long interval. Maybe there is some truth in the suggestion that Japan didn't believe America had a second bomb (?). Who knows?  :?
-- It was a horrifying part of history and I'm just glad it we were able to bring hostilities to a close without having to stage a massive invasion of the Japanese home islands. I think that would have made D-day and its immediate aftermath look like a church social.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#39 2005-08-10 09:03:56

BWhite

Operation Bagration was launched June 22, 1944 with 1,700,000 Russians attacking 800,000 German defenders. Army Group Centre was destroyed, utterly. In July, 1944 the Red Army drove the Germans entirely out of the Ukraine with several hundred thousand german casulaties and prisoners.

During that time period, about 20% of Germany's total military forces were in the West. To delay D-Day might have freed up a fraction of those numbers. Not enough to stop the Soviet onslaught.

Postpone D-Day and Joe Stalin ends up in Belgium, Holland and France. 

Germany did have two million soldiers and civilians committed to air defense against the RAF and US Army Air Corp. 10,000 AA guns including many thousand 88 mm which were superb anti-tank weapons.

Stop D-Day AND stop the air campaign and perhaps the Soviets gets stopped when the Western forces along with a million people commtted to air defense move eastwards and set up a defensive line. Stop the bombing and the Luftwaffe turns east as well.

= = =

A dozen A-bombs and Stalin might have been deterred. Two A-bombs and the Soviets would have come on even harder, in my opinion. In 1945, the USA did not have a dozen A-bombs.

= = =

I think Truman made the right choice at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as the lesser of evil options. Many more people would have died had we attempted landings on the Japanese home islands.

#40 2005-08-10 09:07:29

BWhite

-- Incidentally, I followed the discussion, with interest, between Cindy and CC about the Japanese failure to capitulate after Hiroshima and before Nagasaki. But I'm not sure there actually is any correct interpretation of those events because it may not be possible to see the situation from the perspective of each side after such a long interval. Maybe there is some truth in the suggestion that Japan didn't believe America had a second bomb (?). Who knows?

My recollection is that the emperor and the military (Tojo) disagreed about surrender. Hiroshima and Nagasaki helped the emperor win the argument.

When the emperor told the citizens to surrender and not resist the occupation that made our job significantly easier. Had the emperor said "Fight to the last man, woman and child" and then been killed by US bombs we might be fighting a Japanese insurgency today. At least into the 1950s.

#41 2005-08-10 09:20:57

Cobra Commander

When the emperor told the citizens to surrender and not resist the occupation that made our job significantly easier. Had the emperor said "Fight to the last man, woman and child" and then been killed by US bombs we might be fighting a Japanese insurgency today. At least into the 1950s.

Without question.

Stop D-Day AND stop the air campaign and perhaps the Soviets gets stopped when the Western forces along with a million people commtted to air defense move eastwards and set up a defensive line. Stop the bombing and the Luftwaffe turns east as well.

Pretty much agree with this as well. Simply postponing D-day probably wouldn't have given Germany enough breathing room to halt to Soviets. But an armistice with the Western Allies very likely would have.

A dozen A-bombs and Stalin might have been deterred. Two A-bombs and the Soviets would have come on even harder, in my opinion. In 1945, the USA did not have a dozen A-bombs.
/quote]

Very difficult to say. Stalin probably would not have been deterred by a couple nukes, but the Red Army is quite another matter. They weren't quite the monolithic, loyal communist force bent on the destruction of the Hitlerite invader that they were made out to be. It was quite common for advancing Soviet forces to have another line behind them not for support but to shoot them should they try to flee. It would not have taken all that much to crack the rank and file. Particularly if their allies (namely us) withdrew support.

#42 2005-08-10 09:26:38

Palomar

Maybe there is some truth in the suggestion that Japan didn't believe America had a second bomb (?). Who knows?  :?

*I'm glad I watched that Discovery Channel special about Hiroshima, because all other accounts of the situation make it sound like America simply dropped two A-bombs on Japan with only 1 prior warning.  Truman gave the Japanese leaders 2 warnings; the 2nd came, of course, between Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Maybe Japan's leaders didn't believe we had a 2nd bomb.  Considering the magnitude of devastation wrought about by the 1st incident, I can understand they might have been skeptical that we possessed the money and means to have more than just one go-round.  But after Hiroshima...to call a bluff then??  I won't beat a dead horse on this, but honestly -- I don't get it.  And of course the leadership themselves were removed from Hiroshima; maybe they didn't understand the extent and severity of what had happened (until far too late) or maybe they played deaf and blind. 

Then there's that old warrior mentality that one guy had:  Kill us all, we won't surrender.  They should have driven him to Hiroshima ASAP; maybe seeing the horrific aftermath first-hand would have changed his mind.  That's the one thing I despise and hate the most about many leaders:  They're up in their cushy offices with all the amenities -- removed.  Not having to actually see nor deal with what is really going on, so they shrug it off or divorce themselves from reason just like they've divorced themselves from reality, preferring to nurse their delusions instead.  Who cares what Ordinary Joe and Jane are going through?  roll 

I've often wondered if Hitler himself would have had the guts to actually drop Zyklon B tablets into the chambers or shoot groups of civilians lined up at the edges of mass graves or to push half-starved people into crematory ovens?  Probably not.

I really despise leaders who think they know what's good for the populace...when only the populace get consequenced for it; meanwhile, the leader skips off or floats away on a golden parachute or seeks (and is given) asylum elsewhere with a decent rest of their life or has the privilege of ending his/her own life however s/he chooses.

Now I'm ranting a bit.

Anyway, I'm glad that program pointed out the 2 warnings issued by Truman and enough time given to respond.  It's unforgiveable that some in the Japanese leadership were still considering NOT surrendering even after Nagasaki. 

There's more I could say but I'm too angry.

--Cindy

#43 2005-08-10 09:32:05

BWhite

Pretty much agree with this as well. Simply postponing D-day probably wouldn't have given Germany enough breathing room to halt to Soviets. But an armistice with the Western Allies very likely would have.

Very difficult to say. Stalin probably would not have been deterred by a couple nukes, but the Red Army is quite another matter. They weren't quite the monolithic, loyal communist force bent on the destruction of the Hitlerite invader that they were made out to be. It was quite common for advancing Soviet forces to have another line behind them not for support but to shoot them should they try to flee. It would not have taken all that much to crack the rank and file. Particularly if their allies (namely us) withdrew support.

= = =

Which poses the "what if" question.

In June 1944, Hitler has 2-3 A-bombs with maybe 1 more coming 6 months thereafter. When and where can they be used to best change the outcome of the war? 

My answer? The Normandy beachhead a few days after the landing, seeking an armistice. Late last night I was reading about the Mulberry artificial harbor that were landed 9 June. Perhaps a few days of delay to let more Allied forces ashore before  dropping the bomb would have been better for pushing for a western Armistice.

As an aside, I was reading about the undersea pipeline built from England to France to fuel the Allied soldiers. The Normandy operation saw a tremendous number of technology advances.

#44 2005-08-10 10:11:00

Cobra Commander

The Normandy operation saw a tremendous number of technology advances.

Large scale war usually does.  wink

The fastest path to any advance is to make it a military necessity.

#45 2005-08-11 21:00:28

Trebuchet
Banned

It's interesting to see the debate here, as I got to run through the scenario twice in college, for a history of  Japan course and a history of WWII course.

First things first, I'll handle the non-Japan stuff. The German atomic program (Virus House) was more off track because of dissension in the ranks of the physicists and a general lack of serious pushing from Berlin than anything. Not until later in the war, when the Amerika Bomber project and the A-9 rocket start getting support suddenly, is there any sign that the German government is taking it seriously. However, they were still off course - the US was going to beat them to nuclear weapons, possibly just barely if there's no Normandy invasion, which means a small nuclear war in Europe. Fun.

Also, while the Germans almost-but-not-quite invented a lot of interesting stuff, this is true of the UK and Russia to a minor extent, and the US to an even greater extent than Germany! Lockheed noticed the British experiments with jets and offered to build a fighter based on it in 1940; they were turned down. In late 1944, the USAAF asked them for the plane, and the fighter in question entered production just after the war ended. Well before WWII, Howard Hughes built an incredibly fast light plane, which he intended to sell to the Navy. The Navy turned him down. The Japanese, who were quite impressed, borrowed heavily from the design in making the Zero. A guy named Christie developed an excellent tank in the 1920's; the US Army turned him down, but the Soviets were very interested and licensed the technology; his tank is the grandfather of the T-34. The US developed SAMs and air-to-air missiles to the prototype stage, then scrapped them because we had control of the air... then restarted them in 1945 because of the kamikaze threat. The skills gained in those two programs ended up assisting the Nike SAM and Sidewinder AAM programs. There are other examples, but those should suffice.

As for Japan...

well, the plans for the invasion of Japan are well known. The numbers involved were staggering: Spruance was going to be commanding a fleet of over 3000 vessels, including something like 70 fleet, light, and escort aircraft carriers. 450,000 US troops would be invading Kyushu. All the planes that had been burning Germany to the ground were to be moved over to the Pacfic and assist the planes already there in blasting the crap out of everything. They knew the Japanese would be throwing everything including the kitchen sink into throwing them off the beaches, so plans were drawn up to carpet bomb southern Kyushu with chemical weapons.

The Japanese, for their part, intended to use radioactive materials to contaminate the beach, and were likewise planning on throwing the rule book out with regards to prohibited weapons. There were only a few beaches where the US could invade, so they loaded up the two target areas with troops and had around 2,000 kamikaze planes in the area to go after Spruance's monster fleet. In short, it would have been the most horrifically massive, destructive, and lethal battle ever fought, and would have made Stalingrad look like Family Day at the county fair.

And that was act one; if Japan didn't surrender after that, the whole show would be replayed on Honshu near Tokyo.

As for nukes - there actually was a third bomb en route to Tinian in case Japan didn't surrender after the second shot. The target was Kokura, which actually was wupposed to be hit by the second bomb. Nagasaki got blasted because Kokura was completely obscured by clouds. Actually, Nagasaki was mostly obscured by clouds, too; the nuclear bomb missed its intended aim point by a few miles, unlike the Hiroshima bomb, which hit reasonably close to the Japanese army HQ it was aimed at.

BTW, part of the reason that the Japanese did not surrender immediately after Hiroshima, and why Nagasaki got nuked, probably unneccessarily, is because the US planned the spacing of the two attacks for maximum psychological effect, but neglected to consider what the USAAF's targeting would do to disrupt this careful plan. The USAAF, knowing it had a 'big bomb' but not really understanding the sheer devastation an atomic weapon would cause, targeted the Japanese army HQ for southwestern Japan as the most important thing to destroy. Reasonable enough. However, when they vaporized it, they also took out the phone lines to Hiroshima and also the people who Tokyo would normally recieve reports on attacks in progress from, and whom Tokyo would call in order to find out what was going on. Naturally, being fairly close to ground zero, no HQ personell reported the explosion to Tokyo, as they were all killed instantly. So no one in Tokyo even realized anything was wrong until NHK noticed their Hiroshima affiliate had mysteriously dropped off the air, and could not be reached by phone. This was brought to the attention of the Japanese government, who then radioed the HQ to report on what was going on. It was not until 4 hours after the attack and scattered reports of smoke from Hiroshima that they stuck an officer on a plane and flew him out to the city; he landed the plane several miles away and phoned back that the city was gone.

The Japanese still had no clue what the hell had happened until the US made a press release, 16 hours later, and Truman issued his second warning. They really didn't have the time to process the attack before Nagasaki.

#46 2005-08-11 21:13:12

Trebuchet
Banned

As a further expansion on the above, the third nuclear bomb was almost dropped - the Japanese didn't say anything after the first bomb, and also didn't say anything for a few days after the second bomb. Curtis LeMay ordered the third bomb readied - I believe the plane slated to deliver it was The Great Artiste, but I could be wrong - but the Emperor forced the surrender before the bomb was flown out. If the delay was dragged out a bit longer, Kokura would have bit the dust on August 21st.

Nine extremely unlucky people survived both nuclear explosions, fleeing Hiroshima for Nagasaki.

EDIT: When you think about it, perhaps those nine people might be unimaginably *lucky*, on the other hand, to survive two nuclear explosions... what are the odds of that?

#47 2005-08-12 05:30:07

Cobra Commander

As for nukes - there actually was a third bomb en route to Tinian in case Japan didn't surrender after the second shot.

<Jogs memory> Ah yes, the "third bomb" or rather components that were arriving for it. If I recall correctly they had all the parts but the plutonium core (a Fat Man bomb) which was projected to be delivered a few days after Nagasaki.

In which case we presumably could have kept the rate of bombing up until Japan ceased to exist except as a glowing mound off the coast of China.

Have to dig into the figures on this a bit more.

#48 2005-08-12 05:54:33

Palomar

As for nukes - there actually was a third bomb en route to Tinian in case Japan didn't surrender after the second shot.

<Jogs memory> Ah yes, the "third bomb" or rather components that were arriving for it. If I recall correctly they had all the parts but the plutonium core (a Fat Man bomb) which was projected to be delivered a few days after Nagasaki.

In which case we presumably could have kept the rate of bombing up until Japan ceased to exist except as a glowing mound off the coast of China.

*I wonder.  Would the U.S. gov't have had the resolve and guts to continue bombing with A-bombs to the point of near-obliteration of Japan?  I doubt it.  Generally I don't "get into" speculation but if the Japanese leadership still hadn't surrendered, I think (or rather, would like to believe) our gov't would have stopped after a 3rd and then perhaps gone the land invasion route.  Especially when reports of the horrific devastation and human suffering (particularly the gruesome black rain and radiation poisoning after-effects) started reaching *our* shores; no, the U.S. public would have become alarmed and called for a halt (despite Pearl Harbor and the hostilities towards Japanese-Americans).  At least I'd hope so.  neutral 

--Cindy

#49 2005-08-12 06:03:28

Cobra Commander

but if the Japanese leadership still hadn't surrendered, I think (or rather, would like to believe) our gov't would have stopped after a 3rd and then perhaps gone the land invasion route.

I seriously doubt it. From a military perspective, devastation of the enemy's civilian population is always preferable to massive losses of your own troops. A land invasion when another option existed just wouldn't have been defensible.

#50 2005-08-12 06:23:01

Palomar

but if the Japanese leadership still hadn't surrendered, I think (or rather, would like to believe) our gov't would have stopped after a 3rd and then perhaps gone the land invasion route.

I seriously doubt it. From a military perspective, devastation of the enemy's civilian population is always preferable to massive losses of your own troops. A land invasion when another option existed just wouldn't have been defensible.

sad  Of course you're more knowledgeable in these respects than I. 

There certainly was a lot of animosity towards Japan after PH; I've talked with plenty of older folks who lived then.  Nearly all of them (if not all of them) retained their bitterness and anger over it.  And we had the internment camps.

I hope eventually the American populace would have said "okay, enough already; let's try a less drastic approach" to the gov't.  But often my sentiments are very different from what actually happens.  roll 

Pointless to speculate but I can't help wondering.

--Cindy

Board footer