New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1051 2021-05-16 09:08:39

Mars_B4_Moon

Re: Martian Calender - I have created a martian calender...

tahanson43206 wrote:

For Mars_B4_Moon re #1048

If you (or anyone active in the forum) learns of a web site where Earth can be "seen" from Mars, I'd be happy to include a link in the daily report.

(th)

Hi Tahanson I believe Starry Night might be one, I believe the technology and software is already out there and in open and free in public domain, a person from an astronomy club once pointed me to this stuff a while back. At one time I was at work in another city and went to a talk at one of their local astronomy group clubs, this might be hard to do these days with all this virus lockdowns but you could probably ask one of your local clubs when things get back to normal. There are also other astronomy clubs with websites with people who can point you to the software, there are amateur local community clubs all over the world in the USA in each State of the USA, in each country in France, in Australia, in Peru, in Canada, in Japan so you don't really have an excuse not to be able to visit a club when the lockdowns end.
In these software you have Night Sky updates that allow an Earth hover view, a view from a Backyard from any part of the world, you could hover outside our own Galaxy and count stars with exoplanets like a view from a scifi movie and you had a view from the Moon itself. All of it updated with hubble measurements and current mathematics, if I remember correct you could look back at Earth from the Lunar surface, a view from Saturn's Tethys moon, a view from Jupiter I'm not sure which Jupiter Moon and yes a view from Mars...I bought one of the software I believe 'Starrynight' its still on an old computer of mine. I believe the ones that are free to download are ones like Sky Charts and Stellarium, there was another Star Cartography thing that was also supposed to be good but I never used it. The software is a big thing with astro-photographer people and comet hunting guys, some people use software like Starry Night to guide and control their big expensive backyard telescopes and I believe it saves them having to search for certain stars, planets or nebulae they want to see or photograph.

Knowing the way mobile cell phones, i-pads and i-phones are going there will probably be some app for looking at the sky from Mars soon.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-16 09:09:38)

#1052 2021-05-16 09:43:16

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon re #1051

For anyone reading this topic ... this is the Calendar topic ... a view of the sky around Mars as seen from Earth is available to anyone who follows the link provided in the daily report.

Mars_B4_Moon and I are discussing the possible availability of an online link that could provide a similar view of Earth, from Mars.

For Mars_B4_Moon  ... thank you for your helpful suggestion of Starry Night!  This is a proprietary package that I own and definitely recommend to all who can afford it.  However, in the Linux world, there are free packages that are similar in function, so I definitely encourage anyone running Linux to investigate.

The issue at hand is whether there is an online resource able to provide a view of Earth as seen from Mars that can be run in a browser over the Internet.

The web site used to prepare the daily calendar report is provided at no charge.  It appears there is some modest advertising displayed to help defray the cost of the server rental and whatever other expenses there might be.  I am ** very ** impressed with the performance of the site, which appears to include a display of the sky from the perspective of Earth accumulated over many years in the form of glass photograph plates, as well as the more recent satellite observations in digital form.

There may very well be a web site that offers for free what the Starry Night program offers for a fee, and if there is, I'd like to include a link in the daily report.

Thanks again to Mars_B4_Moon for taking an interest in the daily calendar for business purposes on Mars.  We are well into the second (Mars) year testing the proposed calendar, and I am quite pleased with how well it is holding up to the rigors of real "Universe" testing.

(th)

#1053 2021-05-17 06:21:54

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/12 Thursday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/17 Monday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Per http://www-mars.lmd.jussieu.fr/mars/tim … _time.html

Martian Year: 36  Martian Month in 12 month format: 2 <<== The Astronomical month will increment when longitude reaches 60 degrees

Solar Longitude: 046.0  Sol Number: 96  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      045.6  Previous Sol: 95

Note that Solar Longitude measurement varies as a function of location in orbit. 

Note#2: https://theskylive.com/mars-tracker  This web site shows the astronomical position of Mars.
Minus prefix means Mars is approaching the Sun.  Perihelion occurred at Ls 253 on Sol 485 - Earth Date 2020/08/03
Plus prefix means Mars is moving away from the Sun. Aphelion will occur near 70 degrees Ls (per www.planetary.org)

Note#3: The computations below are dependent upon both the computations provided by the reference web site and by accuracy of recording of the time of observations.  The calculations use tenths of hours.  The Sun Distance needs to be captured at the moment the time increments to a given tenth.

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,875,008 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +082007 <= 3446 km/hour at 8.2 on 05/17 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,793,001 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +081257 <= 3502 km/hour at 8.2 on 05/16 (time:8:12)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,711,744 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +092582 <= 3561 km/hour at 9.0 on 05/15 (time:9:00)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1700550 RA 7h 4m 23.9s above path Day 0 about 12 hours ahead
There's a Boomer in the view today! HIP 33927 Magnitude 5.09 above path and about 5 hours behind Mars
Star TYC 1895-1438-1 Magnitide 9.36 above path Day Day 1 about 12 hours behind

As a general observation ... In recent days I've become increasingly interested in knowing what the larger view of the sky might be like.
The site: theskylive.com does a terrific job of matching the view from Earth towards Mars, against a background of actual astronomical plates.
I wish there were a way (or rather, I wish I ** knew ** about a way that may exist) to enlarge the view until the entire galaxy is in view.

Note: The curve of the path of Mars as seen against the background of stars is now a line trending noticeably down and East as seen from Earth
In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 319,406,405
Light travel in one second is (about) 300,000 kilometers. The distance covered in one minute is about 18,000,000 kilometers.
Light travel time today is between 17 and 18 minutes. Communications delay would be 34+ minutes round trip. [17:306,000,000] [18:324,000,000]

In his online interview with Dr. Zubrin at the 2020 Mars Conference, Elon Musk reminded the audience that communications with Mars will necessarily include an intermediary station to handle traffic when the Sun is between Mars and Earth.  Communications delays in that circumstance will increase due to the extra distance to be covered.  Mr. Musk indicated he expects such communication will be handled by laser.  Location would be optimum at poles of solar plane.

Mars is executing the "Retrograde" movement as seen from Earth. Earth is passing "under" Mars.
Progress of Mars (as seen from Earth) is transitioning back to Eastward as the retrograde movement continues.
The online solar system display at the link below shows clearly how the Mars retrograde movement will occur in months ahead.
Retrograde movement started 2020/09/08 Sol 520

This web site offers an online model of the solar system: www.solarsystemscope.com  It requires Chrome 57, Firefox 52 or Safari 10.1

Sol 096 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Month 04 extends from Sol 085 through 112. See post 82 of Holidays topic for current details. <<== There are 28 days in Month 04
Direct path to source: http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p154257
Sol 096 is Thursday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

The Next New Year's on Mars will occur when Solar Longitude reaches 360 degrees. <<== The current year on Mars is 36
Per www.planetary.org this occurred February 7, 2021 (on Earth). The new Mars Year is 36.

The next Skip Day will occur in June (10th) on Earth. A Skip Day occurs when the longer Mars Sol accumulates 24 Earth hours.
For those who may be following this proposed calendar closely, there exists a "feature" I had not anticipated.
Days of the week fall behind Earth due to the longer Sol, but they gain when Friday is omitted at the end of a Quarter
337 Earth days were observed to elapse in the 2020 weekday cycle. There were 7 week day transitions and 2 Quarter ends.

For current weather on Mars see:

***https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/weather/***
   ***Insights weather info has been suspended and now is directing to msl***

https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/weather/

Per SpaceNut: Here is another web page by NASA containing the latest news releases

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/?page=0&per_ … ope=Latest

All forum members are invited to post significant events for this day.
Events of interest will be ON Mars, or relate to Mars. Examples are launches, landings, discoveries

Recruiting text may be found at the bottom of this post:  http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p154257

Month 4 of 24 Quarter 1 of 4 [Month 1-6]

#1054 2021-05-18 07:24:58

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/13 Friday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/18 Tuesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Martian Year: 36  Martian Month in 12 month format: 2 <<== The Astronomical month will increment when longitude reaches 60 degrees

Solar Longitude: 046.4  Sol Number: 97  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      046.0  Previous Sol: 96

Note that Solar Longitude measurement varies as a function of location in orbit. 

Note#2: https://theskylive.com/mars-tracker  This web site shows the astronomical position of Mars.
Minus prefix means Mars is approaching the Sun.  Perihelion occurred at Ls 253 on Sol 485 - Earth Date 2020/08/03
Plus prefix means Mars is moving away from the Sun. Aphelion will occur near 70 degrees Ls (per www.planetary.org)

Note#3: The computations below are dependent upon both the computations provided by the reference web site and by accuracy of recording of the time of observations.  The calculations use tenths of hours.  The Sun Distance needs to be captured at the moment the time increments to a given tenth.

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,959,706 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +084698 <= 3388 km/hour at 9.0 on 05/18 (time:9:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,875,008 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +082007 <= 3446 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/17 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,793,001 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +081257 <= 3502 km/hour at 8.2 on 05/16 (time:8:12)

Next up: a middling Boomer: HIP 34351 above path RA 7h 7m 16.9s Magnitude 6.59 about 12 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1700550 RA 7h 4m 23.9s above path Day 1 about 12 hours behind - last day for 550

As a general observation ... In recent days I've become increasingly interested in knowing what the larger view of the sky might be like.
The site: theskylive.com does a terrific job of matching the view from Earth towards Mars, against a background of actual astronomical plates.
I wish there were a way (or rather, I wish I ** knew ** about a way that may exist) to enlarge the view until the entire galaxy is in view.

Note: The curve of the path of Mars as seen against the background of stars is now a line trending noticeably down and East as seen from Earth
In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 319,406,405
Light travel in one second is (about) 300,000 kilometers. The distance covered in one minute is about 18,000,000 kilometers.
Light travel time today is between 17 and 18 minutes. Communications delay would be 34+ minutes round trip. [17:306,000,000] [18:324,000,000]

In his online interview with Dr. Zubrin at the 2020 Mars Conference, Elon Musk reminded the audience that communications with Mars will necessarily include an intermediary station to handle traffic when the Sun is between Mars and Earth.  Communications delays in that circumstance will increase due to the extra distance to be covered.  Mr. Musk indicated he expects such communication will be handled by laser.  Location would be optimum at poles of solar plane.

Mars is executing the "Retrograde" movement as seen from Earth. Earth is passing "under" Mars.
Progress of Mars (as seen from Earth) is transitioning back to Eastward as the retrograde movement continues.
The online solar system display at the link below shows clearly how the Mars retrograde movement will occur in months ahead.

This web site offers an online model of the solar system: www.solarsystemscope.com  It requires Chrome 57, Firefox 52 or Safari 10.1

Sol 097 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Month 04 extends from Sol 085 through 112. See post 82 of Holidays topic for current details. <<== There are 28 days in Month 04
Sol 097 is Friday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

The Next New Year's on Mars will occur when Solar Longitude reaches 360 degrees. <<== The current year on Mars is 36
Per www.planetary.org this occurred February 7, 2021 (on Earth). The new Mars Year is 36.

The next Skip Day will occur in June (10th) on Earth. A Skip Day occurs when the longer Mars Sol accumulates 24 Earth hours.
For those who may be following this proposed calendar closely, there exists a "feature" I had not anticipated.
Days of the week fall behind Earth due to the longer Sol, but they gain when Friday is omitted at the end of a Quarter
337 Earth days were observed to elapse in the 2020 weekday cycle. There were 7 week day transitions and 2 Quarter ends.

Per SpaceNut: Here is another web page by NASA containing the latest news releases

Events of interest will be ON Mars, or relate to Mars. Examples are launches, landings, discoveries

Recruiting text may be found at the bottom of this post:  http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 57#p154257

#1055 2021-05-19 07:13:53

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/14 Saturday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/19 Wednesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 046.9  Sol Number: 98  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      046.4  Previous Sol: 97

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,036,308 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +076602 <= 3331 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/19 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,959,706 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +084698 <= 3388 km/hour at 9.0 on 05/18 (time:9:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   246,875,008 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +082007 <= 3446 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/17 (time:8:00)

Next up: Galaxy below path PGC 90771 RA7h 9m 49.4s Day 0 about 12 hours ahead
HIP 34351 above path RA 7h 7m 16.9s Magnitude 6.59 about 1 hours behind on day 1 - last day for 34351

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 323,772,203

Sol 098 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 098 is Saturday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1056 2021-05-20 07:03:44

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/15 Sunday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/20 Thursday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 047.3  Sol Number: 99  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      046.9  Previous Sol: 98

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,114,958 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +078650 <= 3275 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/20 (time:8:01)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,036,308 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +076602 <= 3331 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/19 (time:8:00)

Next up: Galaxy UGC 3737 RA 7h 12m 25.8s below path Day 0 about 12 hours ahead
There are a number of galaxies in the view, and one mini-Boomer at the edge of the top.
Galaxy below path PGC 90771 RA 7h 9m 49.4s Day 1 about 11 hours behind - last day for 90771

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 323,772,203

Sol 099 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 099 is Sunday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1057 2021-05-21 05:26:27

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/16 Monday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/21 Friday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 047.8  Sol Number: 100  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      047.3  Previous Sol: 99

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,114,958 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +078650 <= 3216 km/hour at 7.0 on 05/21 (time:7:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,114,958 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +078650 <= 3275 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/20 (time:8:01)

Next up: Mini-Boomer: HIP 35099 Magnitude 7.81 above path Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
Galaxy UGC 3737 RA 7h 12m 25.8s below path Day 1 about 10 hours behind

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 325,864,661
Light travel time today is between 18 and 19 minutes. Communications delay would be 36+ minutes round trip. [18:324,000,000] [19:342:000,000]

Sol 100 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 100 is Monday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1058 2021-05-22 07:07:31

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/17 Tuesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/22 Saturday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 048.2  Sol Number: 101  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      047.8  Previous Sol:100

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,269,433 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +080547 <= 3159 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/21 (time:8:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,114,958 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +078650 <= 3216 km/hour at 7.0 on 05/21 (time:7:00)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1692859 RA 7h 18m 35.2s above path Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
HIP 35099 Magnitude 7.81 above path Day 1 about 8 hours behind - last day for 35099

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 325,864,661
Light travel time today is between 18 and 19 minutes. Communications delay would be 36+ minutes round trip. [18:324,000,000] [19:342:000,000]

Sol 101 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 101 is Tuesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1059 2021-05-23 06:43:41

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/18 Wednesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/23 Sunday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 048.7  Sol Number: 102  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      048.2  Previous Sol:101

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,343,813 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +074380 <= 3099 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/22 (time:8:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,269,433 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +080547 <= 3159 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/21 (time:8:30)

Next up: Mini-Boomer HIP 35596 Magnitude 8.30 just above path Day 0 about 16 hours ahead
Note ** large ** edge-on galaxy in lower right corner of view ... NGC 2357 RA 7h 17m 40.9s - this is the largest galaxy image I've seen so far
Galaxy PGC 1692859 RA 7h 18m 35.2s above path Day 1 about 4 hours behind - last day for 859

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 328,067,078

Sol 102 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 102 is Wednesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1060 2021-05-24 06:12:56

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/19 Thursday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/24 Monday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 049.1  Sol Number: 103  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      048.7  Previous Sol:102

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,415,274 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +071461 <= 3041 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/24 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,343,813 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +074380 <= 3099 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/23 (time:8:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,269,433 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +080547 <= 3159 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/22 (time:8:30)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1686034 RA 7h 22m 43.1s below path Day 0 about 12 hours ahead
HIP 35596 Magnitude 8.30 just above path Day 1 about 8 hours behind - 35596 ** might ** still be in view tomorrow. It is centered on screen today.

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 328,067,078

Sol 103 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 103 is Thursday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1061 2021-05-25 08:57:01

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/20 Friday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/25 Tuesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 049.5  Sol Number: 104  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      049.1  Previous Sol:103

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,489,847 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +074573 <= 2982 km/hour at 9.0 on 05/25 (time:9:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,415,274 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +071461 <= 3041 km/hour at 8.0 on 05/24 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,343,813 km [22.2 km/s] Difference is +074380 <= 3099 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/23 (time:8:30)

Next up: Star TYC 1910-1080-1 Magnitude 11.30 just above path Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1686034 RA 7h 22m 43.1s below path Day 1 at extreme edge of view about 12+ hours behind

Sol 104 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 104 is Friday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1062 2021-05-26 07:31:03

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/21 Saturday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/26 Wednesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 050.0  Sol Number: 105  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      049.5  Previous Sol:104

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,560,251 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +070404 <= 2921 km/hour at 9.1 on 05/26 (time:9:06)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,489,847 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +074573 <= 2982 km/hour at 9.0 on 05/25 (time:9:00)

Star TYC 1910-1080-1 Magnitude 11.30 just above path Day 1 just above Mars - 1080 might remain in view another day.
Next up: Galaxy GC 1683863 RA 7h 28m 5.2s Day 0 below path and about 10 hours ahead

Sol 105 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 105 is Saturday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1063 2021-05-27 06:22:31

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/22 Sunday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/27 Thursday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 050.4  Sol Number: 106  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      050.0  Previous Sol:105

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,626,423 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +066172 <= 2865 km/hour at 8.2 on 05/27 (time:8:12)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,560,251 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +070404 <= 2921 km/hour at 9.1 on 05/26 (time:9:06)

Next up: Start TYC 1910-1458-1 Magnitude 10.24 below path and Day 0 about 12 hours ahead
Star TYC 1910-1080-1 Magnitude 11.30 just above path Day 2 Still in sight at far right of view -
Galaxy GC 1683863 RA 7h 28m 5.2s Day 1 about 12 hours behind - likely last day for 863

Sol 106 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 106 is Sunday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1064 2021-05-28 05:27:38

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/23 Monday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/28 Friday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 050.9  Sol Number: 107  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      050.4  Previous Sol:108

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,690,500 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064077 <= 2810 km/hour at 7.0 on 05/28 (time:7:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,626,423 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +066172 <= 2865 km/hour at 8.2 on 05/27 (time:8:12)

Star TYC 1910-1458-1 Magnitude 10.24 below path and Day 0 about 10 hours behind
Note Mini-Boomer at bottom of view ... HIP 36690 Magnitude 6.42 Day 0 below and about 10 hours ahead

Sol 107 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 107 is Monday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1065 2021-05-29 06:14:33

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/24 Tuesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/29 Saturday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 051.3  Sol Number: 108  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      050.9  Previous Sol:107

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,757,850 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +067350 <= 2749 km/hour at 7.5 on 05/29 (time:7:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,690,500 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064077 <= 2810 km/hour at 7.0 on 05/28 (time:7:00)

Next up: Star TYC TYC 1911-158301 Magnitude 10.43 RA 7h 36m 24.9s directly IN path Day 0 about 16 hours ahead
Next up: Star TYC 1911-1683-1 Magnitude 10.14 RA 7h 36m 15.2s Just above path Day 0 about 15 hours ahead
Star TYC 1910-1458-1 Magnitude 10.24 below path -- Can't find 1458 in the view today - Needed RA which was not recorded yesterday
Note Mini-Boomer at bottom of view ... HIP 36690 Magnitude 6.42 Day 1 below and about 14 hours behind - last day for 36690

Sol 108 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 108 is Tuesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1066 2021-05-30 06:21:02

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/25 Wednesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/30 Sunday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 051.8  Sol Number: 109  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      051.3  Previous Sol:108

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,822,398 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064548 <= 2690 km/hour at 7.5 on 05/30 (time:7:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,757,850 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +067350 <= 2749 km/hour at 7.5 on 05/29 (time:7:30)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1679166 RA 7h 39m 9.5s above path Day 0 about 16 hours ahead
Star TYC TYC 1911-1583-1 Magnitude 10.43 RA 7h 36m 24.9s directly IN path Day 1 about 10 hours behind slightly above
Star TYC 1911-1683-1 Magnitude 10.14 RA 7h 36m 15.2s Day 1 now ** in ** path and about 9 hours behind

Sol 109 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 109 is Wednesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1067 2021-05-31 06:45:42

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/26 Thursday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/05/31 Monday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 052.2  Sol Number: 110  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      051.8  Previous Sol:109

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,888,128 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +065730 <= 2629 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/31 (time:8:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,822,398 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064548 <= 2690 km/hour at 7.5 on 05/30 (time:7:30)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1666649 RA 7h 41m 53.1s above path Day 0 about 18 hours ahead
Nice Boomer in the view today: HIP 37428 Magnitude 5.77 above path Day 0 about 7 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1679166 RA 7h 39m 9.5s above path Day Day 1 about 9 hours behind - last day for 166

Sol 110 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 110 is Thursday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1068 2021-06-01 08:10:52

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/27 Friday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/06/01 Tuesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 052.6  Sol Number: 111  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      052.2  Previous Sol:110

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,952,842 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064714 <= 2568 km/hour at 9.7 on 06/01 (time:9:42)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,888,128 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +065730 <= 2629 km/hour at 8.5 on 05/31 (time:8:30)

Next up: Star TYC 1912-2232-1 Magnitude 8.92 Day 0 in path and about 20 hours ahead - might be good for two days
Galaxy PGC 1666649 RA 7h 41m 53.1s above path Day 1 about 10 hours behind - last day for 649
Nice Boomer in the view today: HIP 37428 Magnitude 5.77 above path Day 1 Still visible at top of view and abut 20 hours behind

Sol 111 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 111 is Friday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1069 2021-06-02 08:11:56

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/04/28 Saturday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

One day note: This is the last day of month 04 in the proposed Business Calendar for Mars.

Today on Earth: 2021/06/02 Wednesday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 053.1  Sol Number: 112  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      052.6  Previous Sol:111

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,010,017 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +057175 <= 2508 km/hour at 8.5 on 06/02 (time:8:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   247,952,842 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +064714 <= 2568 km/hour at 9.7 on 06/01 (time:9:42)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1674574 RA 7hg 46 44.0s Above path Day 0 about 10 hours ahead
Next up: Star TYC 1912-2197-1 Magnitude 9.36 in path Day 0 about 10 hours ahead
Star TYC 1912-2232-1 Magnitude 8.92 Day 1 just below path about 7 hours behind - likely last day for 2232

Sol 112 is in Month 04 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 112 is Saturday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1070 2021-06-03 06:28:26

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/05/01 Sunday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

One day note: This is the first day of month 05 in the proposed Business Calendar for Mars.

Today on Earth: 2021/06/03 Thursday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 053.5  Sol Number: 113  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      053.1  Previous Sol:112

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,067,608 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +057591 <= 2451 km/hour at 8.0 on 06/03 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,010,017 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +057175 <= 2508 km/hour at 8.5 on 06/02 (time:8:30)

Next up: trio below path: TYC 1374-711-1, TYC 1374-441-1, TYC 1374-297-1 Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1674574 RA 7hg 46 44.0s Above path Day 1 about 11 hours behind - last day for 574
Star TYC 1912-2197-1 Magnitude 9.36 in path Day 1 about 11 hours behind - last day for 2197

Sol 113 is in Month 05 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Month 05 extends from Sol 113 through 140. See post 82 of Holidays topic for current details. <<== There are 28 days in Month 04
Sol 113 is Sunday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

Month 5 of 24 - Quarter 1 of 4 [Month 1-6]

#1071 2021-06-03 20:14:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Mars is nearing its farthest point from the sun, which means InSight was already gathering less sunlight but with a bit of scooped sand being applied to the panels the dust was slowly being removed to gain power so that it could make it into the next year....

#1072 2021-06-04 05:04:42

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/05/02 Monday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/06/04 Friday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 054.0  Sol Number: 114  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      053.5  Previous Sol:113

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,122,640 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +055032 <= 2393 km/hour at 7.0 on 06/04 (time:7:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,067,608 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +057591 <= 2451 km/hour at 8.0 on 06/03 (time:8:00)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1668350 above path RA 7h 52m 15.8s Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
TYC 1374-711-1, TYC 1374-441-1, TYC 1374-297-1 Day 1 - about 5 hours behind - last day for the trio

Sol 114 is in Month 05 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Month 05 extends from Sol 113 through 140. See post 82 of Holidays topic for current details. <<== There are 28 days in Month 04
Sol 114 is Monday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1073 2021-06-05 06:34:20

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/05/03 Tuesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/06/05 Saturday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 054.4  Sol Number: 115  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      054.0  Previous Sol:114

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,180,964 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +058324 <= 2333 km/hour at 8.0 on 06/05 (time:8:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,122,640 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +055032 <= 2393 km/hour at 7.0 on 06/04 (time:7:00)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1666395 RA 7h 54m 52.6s just above path Day 0 about 18 hours ahead
Note mini-Boomer right at Mars in today's view: HIP 38495 Magnitude 6.94
Galaxy PGC 1668350 above path RA 7h 52m 15.8s Day 1 about 8 hours behind

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 340,250,791

Sol 115 is in Month 05 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 115 is Tuesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1074 2021-06-06 05:47:53

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/05/04 Wednesday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/06/06 Sunday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 054.8  Sol Number: 116  Change in degrees is +.4
Previous SL:      054.4  Previous Sol:115

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,234,362 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +053398 <= 2272 km/hour at 7.3 on 06/06 (time:7:30)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,180,964 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +058324 <= 2333 km/hour at 8.0 on 06/05 (time:8:00)

Next up: Galaxy PGC 1662988 RA 7 57m 6.3s Directly in path Day 0 about 15 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1666395 RA 7h 54m 52.6s just above path Day 1 about 8 hours behind

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 340,250,791

Sol 116 is in Month 05 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 116 is Wednesday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

#1075 2021-06-07 05:19:44

tahanson43206

Today on Mars: 0036/05/05 Thursday <<-- Days of the week are not in alignment with Earth. 

Today on Earth: 2021/06/07 Monday (Earth Date) Post Title: Today on Mars   [Perihelion occurred August 3, 2020 Earth Calendar]

Solar Longitude: 055.3  Sol Number: 117  Change in degrees is +.5
Previous SL:      054.8  Previous Sol:116

Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,286,386 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +052024 <= 2214 km/hour at 7.0 on 06/07 (time:7:00)
Distance: Mars >> Sun per theskylive.com:   248,234,362 km [22.1 km/s] Difference is +053398 <= 2272 km/hour at 7.3 on 06/06 (time:7:30)

Next up: Star TYC 1388-1150-1 Magnitude 11.79 in path Day 0 about 20 hours ahead
Galaxy PGC 1662988 RA 7 57m 6.3s Directly in path Day 1 about 10 hours behind - last day for 988

In recent days, the curve has been slowly bending down through horizontal.  Earth Distance at last update here) was km 343,152,510
Light travel time today is between 19 and 20 minutes. Communications delay would be 38+ minutes round trip. [19:342:000,000] [20:360,000,000]

Sol 117 is in Month 05 of a Proposed 24 month calendar. See Post 19 of Holidays topic for a summary.
Sol 117 is Thursday  in the Proposed Business calendar for Mars.  <<== Skip day occurred May 5th on Earth ... next will occur in June on Earth

Board footer