New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-02-22 23:49:26

Trebuchet
Banned

Re: Living on mars. - Would you personally live on Mars?

The governments of the world basically made sure that Antarctica is off-limits to human colonization, which is why only some scientific teams are there harassing the penguins.

As for...

Who would you want to give up your comfortable lives on this very beautifull planet and go to a planet many times more hostile then Antartica? I mean there are hardly people living on Antartica now, so what makes Mars more special?

This question is quite easy to answer: the people who want to leave either find this planet not beautiful, not comfortable, or both. Or they want a chance to build their own place, or they don't like a lot of their fellow earthlings for whatever reason. They might simply feel that the Earth is going to go up in nuclear fire or whatever someday. There are plenty of good reasons to want to get off Earth. As for "Why Mars?", it's probably because it's a combination of it being comparatively close and nonhostile. I mean, if you could build some sort of warp-drive spacecraft able to cross light years in a flash, people would go looking further afield for less hostile worlds, but since we can't, and Mars is reasonably good and within reach, it's what's available.

Now, were you to be able to build home-built spacecraft sturdy enough to reach Mars - a kind of modern-day Conestoga Wagon - I think you'd be amazed at the number of people willing to head out from Earth to Mars or the asteroids. There are a lot of restless people missing the frontier out there...

#27 2005-02-23 00:03:04

Scnigey
Banned

Uh Oh!  There seems to be a theme developing here.

My own wife has already told me that she would prefer to live on Earth.  Unfortunately, this was revealed _after_ the wedding! 

(Should have included it in the wedding vows.  Dang It!)

:bars3:

Yes, I also asked my girlfriend about this. I would feel bad leaving her for all that time though. Such a hard decision...

#28 2005-02-23 09:41:25

Rakial
Banned

I would definitely go to Mars. What can be better than a satisfaction of exploring new world.

It depends on what kind of life I will have when I get there and who will be there with me.

The life full of challenges, you are going to be so busy every single minute of every single day with things that you love doing even simple laundry is going to be for the better future of the colony. You will have a chance to create a new world for mankind. I think it’s ..I don’t  know … sexy?… Trust me no mater if it’s new town new country or new planet. You will be with people who have the same dream, no mater the conditions in which you live in. Where else do you meet a room (not virtual) full of people that think the same. Oh my G_d to do something that no one ever done before. And I am the girl who likes being pampered who likes fashion more than you can imagine. But when it comes to hiking, canoeing and camping I am first in line. So you will be surprised how many women are out there that are ready “to go where no male has gone before”.
Imagine here on Earth when you doing something you like you don’t care about anything.
Oh well, I should just shut up, I can go on and on forever on this topic.
EL

#29 2005-02-23 12:51:08

Rxke

That Frontier Spirit is not exclusively American, despite what some people like to think...

I'm pretty sure it's in *a lot* of people... the world over.

o.K., we all know about the early hominids leaving Africa, but people *kept* roaming around, Like the Ariers from West Europe that spread out to the East, Atilla the Hun and his merry gang; The Vikings that discovered Vinland (heehee!) Alexander the Great that traveled half the world.. etc etc...

Of course, travelling as 'a people' has all but stopped today, but still a significant percentage of the human race keeps looking for new places, sometimes to better their lives, sometims to follow their dreams, sometimes to just leave their current life behind them...
and the world is seemingly getting smaller and smaller.
As a consequence, the urge to roam, should get into a 'state' of wanting to go further and further... 

As Trebuchet pointe out, now we've run out of conestoga's, horses, planes, ships...

Alt-space, is, IMO for the thrillseekers, not for the real roamers.
We're in a difficult timeframe. No cheap access to the new froontier, and the old ones getting old...

Hmmm... (Coffee-induced-ramblings, my excuses)

#30 2005-02-23 13:03:59

clark

Mars, a land of ex-pat's?  big_smile

For me, I can see the draw. Mars has so much to offer. But like most things, there is a price. They very things that Rakial mentions are but the tip of the ice-berg of what is lost on Mars. Of course there are martian flavoured substutites, but for myself, I am a creature of habit.

Right now, I find myself in a place without an ocean [sigh], and nothing in this environment here replaces the sight of water as far as the eye can see. The sound and feel of the ocean, or the hot sand burning the naked toes on a beautiful summer day.

Mars will never have that, not in my life time at least. Still, it would be something to at least touch the red planet.

#31 2005-02-23 13:28:24

Rxke

We'll fill a vast lavatube with water for you Clark, just like in KSR's trilogy!  big_smile

Just don't weewee into the pool, please...

#32 2005-02-23 13:29:55

clark

You see, this is what I'm talking about. I want to go to get away from the rules, and the first thing you do is start laying down the law.  big_smile

#33 2005-02-23 14:07:39

Rxke

Well, then find your *own* pipe, and fill it up with your choice of stinking goo, you freaking hermit!
big_smile  tongue

Remember people: if Clark ever opens a healthspa on Mars: be weary, be *very* weary!

#34 2005-02-23 15:12:33

BWhite

Mars, a land of ex-pat's?  big_smile

For me, I can see the draw. Mars has so much to offer. But like most things, there is a price. They very things that Rakial mentions are but the tip of the ice-berg of what is lost on Mars. Of course there are martian flavoured substutites, but for myself, I am a creature of habit.

Right now, I find myself in a place without an ocean [sigh], and nothing in this environment here replaces the sight of water as far as the eye can see. The sound and feel of the ocean, or the hot sand burning the naked toes on a beautiful summer day.

Mars will never have that, not in my life time at least. Still, it would be something to at least touch the red planet.

Wake up and smell the sulphur. . .

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#35 2005-02-23 16:14:58

clark

A weed will bloom within a garden,
and stink like any rose.  tongue

#36 2005-03-22 07:37:31

srmeaney

I'd be too busy directing the orbital bombardment of Earth from the bridge of the Commonwealth Carrier Sydney.

"Bring the mass drivers online. Prep the fighter drones for launch."

#37 2005-04-14 11:07:17

Fledi

I often compare today's situation to that of the first fish who came out of the sea into a hostile environment where they could hardly breath in the air, but still they came out.
How much bigger would it be to accomplish what life on earth hasn't for billions of years, namely filling other planets with life.

I would go, I would go at the instant, and I would give everything I have for it.

Of course one would evade srmeaney's orbital bombardment by going...

#38 2005-04-14 11:16:05

clark

Ah, the "price"...  big_smile

Would you give up your soul? Or better yet, more concrete, would you excise your consience to go?

Say you could go, but you had to commit a crime to do it, would you? Are there certain crimes you would consider, but not others?

What about giving up a limb?

No real point to any of this (and it is all absolutely hypotetical) but I find the position of "everything" to be interesting. There are some things I myself would sacrifice "everything" for, those things I hold dear- Mars dosen't make the cut. Not by a long shot.

Afterall, its just a place. An idea, perhaps. A dream, I grant. But it is just another void to fill or project on, and there are enough of those here on Earth. [shrug]

#39 2005-04-14 11:34:05

Fledi

Uhm okay I meant possessions by "everything", not any more.

#40 2005-04-14 11:46:20

clark

I figured.  big_smile  Didn't mean anything by my comments, it was just your understandable desire kind of led me down a tangent.

#41 2005-04-14 12:05:08

Fledi

Of course you were right with your comments, I already thought long and hard about that particular subject.
I found that by giving up one's principles - for anything - one would become easily manipulable and in the end would likely do the opposite of what one intended at the beginning.

Board footer