New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2004-12-22 10:22:11

GCNRevenger

Re: 200 LB Man Question???

It doesn't make sense because you are either unwilling or unable to make sense of it.

It ain't rocket science. BIG friction, SMALL gravity. How is this not clear? The SMALL difference in gravity really is TINY compared to the friction force of 10,000km of pipe.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#52 2004-12-22 10:31:35

ERRORIST

The gravity from the center of the Earth to the Equator is not small. Potental energy there.Correct?

#53 2004-12-22 10:34:32

GCNRevenger

Enough of of this, you are beyond help. You are so convinced that your crazy idea will work that you will not properly consider the reasons why it won't.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

#54 2004-12-22 10:48:06

ERRORIST

Yep, the difference of gravity will be different because of the 13 mile difference in elevation. So that should help you get it there some.Gravity would not cause you more energy to get it there. Friction would and rotational velocity of the Earth would. We need to calculate how much energy to get it there for a given amout of volume.Then calculate how much energy we can get from that volume from a 16,000+ft water fall? I bet the fall wins out with the greater value!

#55 2004-12-22 14:39:13

C M Edwards

What a minute...

Where does the 200lb man come in?    ???

Errorist, you've already got three threads devoted to this.  Perhaps you should stop.

I've already discussed the kind of flow rates you can expect from this pipeline arrangement in another thread.  You might get mass flow, but stop expecting to extract energy out of this thing.  That's a pipe dream.   :;):

If you want power, you'd do better to exploit naturally occuring global-scale currents (wind, ocean thermals, etc.) than to try to make your own.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#56 2004-12-22 16:43:38

ERRORIST

Yep, it has evolved to something else again thats for sure! The 200 lb man is just part of the Equation.

#57 2004-12-23 15:00:20

ERRORIST

How much head pressure would it take to pump the water down hill to the pole?

#58 2004-12-23 19:06:42

Euler

How much head pressure would it take to pump the water down hill to the pole?

It is not down hill at all.  The centrifugal affect of the Earth's rotation exactly balances the difference in the distance to the Earth's center.  If it were down hill, then the Ocean itself would flow towards the pole and correct the imbalance.

#59 2004-12-24 01:19:12

Shaun Barrett

Euler:-

It is not down hill at all.  The centrifugal affect of the Earth's rotation exactly balances the difference in the distance to the Earth's center.  If it were down hill, then the Ocean itself would flow towards the pole and correct the imbalance.

Hmmm. Thanks, Euler, but I think we're going round in circles. That's what I told ERRORIST about 400 posts ago!
                                                yikes

[Look ERRORIST, there's tenacity .. and then again there's stubbornness. I think you're leaning toward the latter now.]

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#60 2004-12-24 07:53:49

ERRORIST

Euler,

I think I can explain it better.
The polar radius at both poles are 13 miles less than the equatorial radius. So the sea level at the Equator is actually 13 miles higher than the sea level at the poles. So you would be pumping the water down hill.

It does not flow to the poles because of two reasons.
1.0) The rotational velocity of the Earth.
2.0) The 13 mile difference of gravity between the pole and Equator.

#61 2004-12-24 09:14:26

GCNRevenger

"...The rotational velocity of the Earth."

Completly, 100%, entirely counteracts the height difference Errorist. As in, negates this force you were intending to exploit.

#62 2004-12-24 13:10:43

ERRORIST

NEGATIVE, Not from what I have learned from the internet. Both these forces combined is what makes up the difference.

The centripetal acceleration at the equator is given by 4 times pi squared times the radius of the Earth divided by the period of rotation squared (4*pi2*r/T2). The period of rotation is 24 hours (or 86400 seconds) and the radius of the Earth is about 6400 km. This means that the centripetal acceletation at the equator is about 0.03 m/s2 (metres per seconds squared). Compare this to the acceleration due to gravity which is about 10 m/s2 and you can see how tiny an effect this is - you would weigh about 0.3% less at the equator than at the poles!

There is an additional effect due to the oblateness of the Earth. The Earth is not exactly spherical but rather is a little bit like a "squashed" sphere, with the radius at the equator slightly larger than the radius at the poles (this shape can be explained by the effect of centripetal acceleration on the material that makes up the Earth, exactly as described above). This has the effect of slightly increasing your weight at the poles (since you are close to the centre of the Earth and the gravitational force depends on distance) and slightly decreasing it at the equator.

Taking into account both of the above effects, the gravitational acceleration is 9.78 m/s2 at the equator and 9.83 m/s2 at the poles, so you weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the equator.

#63 2005-01-25 14:36:37

Earthfirst

Silly people go on and on about a simple facts. It true that due to to the earths spin the equator has bluge. Big deal it has little effect on topograph due to the fact the is so big that the hight differences of the poles and equators evens out. The 13 difference is also countored by the spin force that cause the air to pool at the equator. I knew that when I was a kid. The pressure is ofthen so high at the south pole because if you understode weather is that the poles are dominated by high pressure because of falling air.
Also the circumferce decrease as you increase in latitude, so as the air moves across the earth it moves faster at high latitudes and slower at low latitudes. Longer distance more drag so slower the air moves. As air rises whear the sun is overhead it falls, due to the different air speeds at higher latitudes it causes the air to fall at 30 degree N or S, this falling air creates high pressures and deserts. In sense the air flow in the hardy cell if cut off and falls down. Also because of the diiferent air speeds and distance on the earth sphere strom tend to fall down and start to rotate them selfs the corralis effect. Another hardy cell is ar 50 degree N and S from falling airs masses hitting each other and rissing that agian falls at 90 degrees N and S. This explains the patterns of Highs and Low pressure system. Low at 0 d, H at 30, L at 50 d, and H at 90 d both N and S. But this only happens at on equalnox spring and fall, During other times these system are pushed N or south due to the movement of the sun relative to the obsevors on the earth. "Changing seasons" Weather is such an fun topic for me. Question 1.explian why most of earth deserts are near 30 N,S?
Whear are the 3 rainy belts on june 22nd?

I love plants!

#64 2005-01-26 18:32:34

RobS
Banned
Website

Where air rises, it cools and produces rain. Where it descends from on high, it warms and becomes dry and does not produce rain. When the sun stands above the equator at the equinoxes, the air rises at the equator and descends at 30N and 30S. Hence those two areas tend to be very dry; the Sahara, for example.

When the sun heads farther south and the southern hemisphere experiences summer, the rains head farther south as well. The southern Sahara thus has its dry season. On the other hand, the belt of rising air at 50N also shifts southward and the southern Mediterranean and the northern Sahara receive their winter rains.

Then six months later the sun heads northward and soon stands over 23N, making northern hemisphere summer. At that point the rainy belt shifts northward and the southern Sahara gets its rainy season, while the northern Sahara has no rain for six months.

Thus the Sahara, as an example, has three zones; a southern zone (the Sahel) with a rainy summer season and a dry winter season; a northern zone (the Mediterranean) with a dry summer season and a rainy winter season; and a middle zone with little or no rain at all, or very little rain all year round (because the two rainy seasons might slightly overlap in some years). To give two specific examples, southern California and Israel, get no rain at all May through October and rain--some times lots of it--October through April.

-- RobS

#65 2005-01-26 20:16:52

ERRORIST

So if the Earth stopped spinning the water at the poles would rise by about seven miles and the water at the Equator would lower by about seven miles. Correct?

#66 2005-01-28 00:23:22

RobS
Banned
Website

Only for a short time, until enormous earthquakes brought about a redistribution of the crust. The equatoral bulge is supported by the rotational momentum and if the rotation stopped it would collapse.

-- RobS

Board footer