New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2002-10-06 09:44:07

Palomar

Re: Food! - Marsians=vegetarians?

To answer your challenge, chile relleno is stuffed chile peppers; quite delicious.

For a colony the greenhouse will mean survival. Rangpur is a variety of orange; the fruit is 2 inches diameter and very tart. Technically it is a lime, although the colour is orange. My sister had one growing in a pot in her living room; fully grown it is about 8 feet high including pot. You can also grow grapes for fuit, grape juice, or wine.

*Aw, dang...yep, you know what a chile relleno is.  They are indeed delicious.  smile

I've never heard of a 'rangpur' before...unless I know it by a different name.  I suppose fruits, for a colony/settlement, will be a real premium delight...especially in the early years.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#77 2002-10-07 21:14:09

Shaun Barrett

Hi guys!
    I'm quite partial to a little chile (chilli? ... whatever! ) in my food and would be glad to know it was available at Mars Base 1.
    But eating STUFFED CHILE PEPPERS right out of a jar!!
                                        ???

Is that as uncomfortable on the tongue as it sounds?   :0

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#78 2002-10-29 13:54:53

Palomar

Quote (RobS @ Oct. 29 2002,17:43)
I can think of three problems with low air pressure: (1) sound does not transmit as well, so you can't hear as easily; (2) cooking is more complicated because of the lower boiling point of water; and (3) your farts would last longer (because the same mass of gas takes up a larger volume). My, my, think of the jokes. . .

-- RobS

*Beans, beans, the musical fruit...the more you eat, the more you toot...

Looks like beans will be the Outlaw Food of Marsian habitations!

Actually, I heard a few weeks ago that scientists have found the enzyme [??] which causes flatulence production, i.e. this enzyme [or whatever] won't break down properly in the digestive system.  Thus, you toot.  Maybe they'll have genetically-modified beans on Mars.

--Cindy

[brought this over from "Optimal Air Pressures" thread]...

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#79 2002-10-29 14:03:34

Palomar

Hi guys!
    I'm quite partial to a little chile (chilli? ... whatever! ) in my food and would be glad to know it was available at Mars Base 1.
    But eating STUFFED CHILE PEPPERS right out of a jar!!
                                        ???

Is that as uncomfortable on the tongue as it sounds?   :0

*Oh Shaun, I feel so bad!!  sad  I didn't know you had responded.  I wasn't ignoring you.  I apparently didn't see the yellow flag next to the folder after you posted, and didn't come back to check; I do so much reading here and there, and I guess I lost track and didn't come back to check for further responses.  Sorry!!!  :*(

Chile rellenos are not like stuffed olives, which you eat out of a jar.  They are long green chile peppers [I can probably hunt up a link to a web site in my area which shows them in a photo] which are roasted, peeled, de-seeded, and then stuffed with a mixture of [usually white] cheeses, such as Monterrey-Jack, muenster, and/or asadero -- or a combination of these 3. 

Eggs then come into the picture.  Whites are separated from the yolks.  The egg whites are whipped until they form stiff peaks [like making meringue].  The egg yolks are whipped.

A bed of the beaten egg whites is spread onto hot oil and allowed to begin browning.  The stuffed chile pepper is dipped into the egg yolk and then placed onto the center of the egg-white bed, then the edges of the egg-white bed are brought up to surround the chile pepper with a spatula.  The bed of beaten egg white then completely encases the chile pepper.  It is allowed to brown on all sides, then removed from the skillet and allowed to drain on absorbent paper.

It really takes 2 people to make them, unless one is extremely experienced.  A lot of work, but definitely worth the effort.  My husband and I prefer ours fried in olive oil, well drained, then placed in a fresh flour tortilla with a bit of mayonnaise and salt.  HEAVEN!!!  big_smile

--Cindy

#80 2002-10-29 14:19:33

Palomar

*Didn't take long to find exactly what I wanted; this web article is courtesy of Zianet, which is my ISP provider:

http://www.zianet.com/focus/chile.htm

Around here they spell the peppers "chile," as to differentiate from the bean and meat stew called "chili."  And it's the GREEN chile peppers which are used to make chile rellenos -- and usually the "Big Jim" variety of green chile pepper [mentioned at the web site], as they are milder [though can still have a sting] and also have more room to stuff cheese in and thus make a bigger relleno.  smile

--Cindy

P.S.:  I live on the "Southern New Mexio Chile Trail," shown in the middle of the web page; I live in Las Cruces.

#81 2002-10-29 23:52:29

Shaun Barrett

Thanks Cindy!

Absolutely no need to apologise, though. I'm probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to responding to posts. Sometimes it's lack of time at that particular moment, combined with forgetfulness later! Sometimes it's just failing to realise someone has asked me something.
    If I've failed to reply to anybody with a query, I offer MY apologies now!    ???

Chile rellenos sound very very tasty! And the pictures you so kindly provided have helped to round out my education about the local produce in your neck of the woods.   smile

As a result of your taste-bud-tempting description, I have resolved to visit New Mexico before I die and sample the culinary delights! Thanks again!   
                                               tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#82 2002-10-31 23:46:58

Josh Cryer

Hmm, I regularly eat hot peppers from Popeyes. I've had an allergic reaction to hot peppers for most of my life, but I've grown accustomed to eating them over time. When I was a kid my throat would swell up, but now I can handle them fine, and I actually enjoy the taste.

My face still gets red, though. And I break out in a nice sweat. But man, talk about opening up the sinuses. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#83 2002-11-01 08:30:53

Palomar

Hmm, I regularly eat hot peppers from Popeyes. I've had an allergic reaction to hot peppers for most of my life, but I've grown accustomed to eating them over time. When I was a kid my throat would swell up, but now I can handle them fine, and I actually enjoy the taste.

My face still gets red, though. And I break out in a nice sweat. But man, talk about opening up the sinuses. smile

*Yes indeed.  There's a guy who regularly frequents a mom-n-pop type restaurant my husband and I go to.  He orders a large helping of pureed habanero atop his eggs.  Habanero is one of the hottest peppers, and this guy sings the praises of it opening up his sinuses.  wink  He must have a steel-coated mouth, because I would be DYING if I ate that much habanero; I mean, a pea-sized lump of that stuff is volcanic.  :0

--Cindy

#84 2002-11-04 08:36:39

turbo
Banned

Hello All!
So far my inquiring mind has found out that radishes, carrots, and especially broccoli do well in cold conditions.  Lettuce can handle some cold, but broccoli is the champ since it can endure freezes (millions of eight year-olds shudder). 

One of the only things the Environmental Science class taught me was that the higher the lifeform, the more food it takes to sustain.  I love animals, really, but there is no way I'd spend eighteen months in a soup can with chickens.  Japanese or not, the hens would be either quickly consumed or just plain flushed out the airlock.  I figure I could take the noise and the mess for about three weeks, then the ammonia producers would be standing on my last nerve.

So, now that I know greenhouses on Mars could let me make a chef's salad, I have to ask your esteemed personages about a concoction I have occasionally seen, but as yet unwilling to try.  The stuff is called "soy milk", and if it turns coffee into concrete, I think I'll stay in Mission Control.  I'm wondering though, since the methane generators that go "moo" would be very difficult to transport, could a Yank like me actually get along with soy milk?

Any room in the greenhouses for peanuts?  Not only do they happily return nitrogen to the soil, but they can be roasted, boiled, or turned into peanut butter.  Let's have potatoes as well, now those are flexible! 

A note of caution:  I don't care if the package does say "Meal, Ready to Eat", the "meatloaf" and the "peanut butter" are supposed to be used to build fortifications.

turbo

#85 2002-11-04 15:53:46

TJohn
Banned

Now that you mentioned it, turbo, MREs would probably make up quite a bit of the provisions taken to Mars.  You can eat them w/o water but it definitely helps.  All MREs now have a heater.  Plus they come with a small bottle of Tabasco!  tongue

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#86 2002-11-04 16:50:54

turbo
Banned

Ah yes, I remember the tobasco bottles.  If one is forced to consume the "meatloaf", then liberally applying tobasco to ones eyeballs leads to forgetting just how awful it is consuming recycled brake pads.

Unfortunately, MREs will have to be part of the supplies. At least the days of food in a tube seem to be over. 

What's the shelf-life on Vegemite?  I shudder to think of 18 months of MRE and ramen noodles!
turbo

#87 2002-11-04 18:48:23

nebob2
Banned
Website

The military is working hard to develope better tasting storible food. By the time we go to Mars, foul tasting MREs (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians as they have been called by some of my military friends) should be a thing of the past. I heard that the secret was to liberaly apply Mrs. Dash to the MRE to improve its taste.

#88 2002-11-04 20:21:17

Phobos

MREs (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians as they have been called by some of my military friends)

LOL, yet another abbreviation interpreted. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#89 2002-11-05 07:42:16

TJohn
Banned

Meals Refusing to Exit is another term that I have heard.

One day...we will get to Mars and the rest of the galaxy!!  Hopefully it will be by Nuclear power!!!

#90 2002-11-05 16:32:35

Lil_vader
Banned

Ok, that was more than I wanted to know...

#91 2003-08-08 12:19:56

Palomar

*What about growing peanuts on Mars?  Might be nice for settlers/colonists to have peanut butter (easy to make, easy to store, loaded with protein).

--Cindy

#92 2003-08-08 12:24:49

Josh Cryer

Mmm, peanuts. I had a major craving for toasted peanut butter sandwiches last week. It's all I ate for deserts and snacks. Very yummy. smile

I've been reading a lot about soy lately. We've come a long way with regards to synthetic soy foods (ie, taste-wise). Have you had soy meat?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#93 2003-08-08 12:47:43

Palomar

Josh:  Mmm, peanuts. I had a major craving for toasted peanut butter sandwiches last week. It's all I ate for deserts and snacks. Very yummy.

*Awww...just as I'm trying to shed 3 "stray" pounds, you tempt with toasted peanut butter sandwiches!  sad

Josh:  I've been reading a lot about soy lately. We've come a long way with regards to synthetic soy foods (ie, taste-wise). Have you had soy meat?

*No, I've not had the inclination.  However, ground beef -- even ground sirloin -- gives me massive indigestion lately; must be my body changing as I'm getting older.  I thought about ordering a soy burger at a restaurant the other evening, but declined in favor of grilled chicken.  I dunno...when I see those soy patties, the word "sawdust" always pops into my mind...

You know, it's a pity about the gravity situation.  I'm thinking that beekeeping will be an improbability.  It'd be nice to have honey available on Mars, to stir into tea or coffee, and to drizzle over flat breads; it beats growing sugar cane.

Will beekeeping ever be (pun, ha ha) possible on Mars?

--Cindy

#94 2003-08-08 13:07:27

Josh Cryer

Hah, Cindy, no need to shed any weight. :;):

Unless you're following doctors orders, of course.

I'm scared of going vegetarian, but my galfriend wants me to. I love meat. I absolutely adore it. I can go without it (I've lived on diets consisting of no meat before), but I mean, if it's not in my diet I'm displeased. Mmm, I am craving a salami sandwich right about now (sorry!).

Apparently soy meat is supposed to be good (some argue indistingushable from actual meat), but I'm skeptical. And I still worry about some chemicals within soy (like protease inhibitors- which make it hard for the body to process certain proteins).

It just amazes me how far along we've come with synthetics. I wonder if the processes can be used with hemp.

On edit: Ahh, bees would be a pain; maybe we could have witchetty grubs instead! big_smile

--------

#95 2003-08-08 13:26:21

Palomar

Josh:  Hah, Cindy, no need to shed any weight.  Unless you're following doctors orders, of course.

*Husband's orders, actually.

Josh:  I'm scared of going vegetarian, but my galfriend wants me to. I love meat. I absolutely adore it. I can go without it (I've lived on diets consisting of no meat before), but I mean, if it's not in my diet I'm displeased. Mmm, I am craving a salami sandwich right about now (sorry!).

*If you go vegetarian, do it because YOU want to.  I tried the vegetarian lifestyle for nearly 2 months in 2000.  My hubby and I dine out a few times a week...and let's just say you don't realize how many food items have meat in them until you try vegetarianism.  Most soups and stews have meat, etc.  Of course, it's the same for home cooking; he continued to eat meat while I didn't.  I got tired very quickly of eggs, salads, peanut butter, Mexican food stuffed only with cheese, cottage cheese, etc.  I tried "Morning Star" vegetarian breakfast patties...yuck.  Talk about dry and disgusting; my dog wouldn't even eat them after I prepared, tasted, then threw them out.  It's bad, when a dog won't eat something!  sad  I'm very picky about meat, how it is prepared, etc.  I've cut down enormously, but I have to admit:  I'm a carnivore.

Josh:  Apparently soy meat is supposed to be good (some argue indistingushable from actual meat), but I'm skeptical. And I still worry about some chemicals within soy (like protease inhibitors- which make it hard for the body to process certain proteins).

*Yep.  I don't know the finer details, but vegetarians run a very real risk of becoming anemic, developing digestive problems unique to the lifestyle, problems with mineral and vitamin absorption, etc. 

Josh:  It just amazes me how far along we've come with synthetics. I wonder if the processes can be used with hemp.

*What about hemp?  How used?

Josh:  On edit: Ahh, bees would be a pain; maybe we could have witchetty grubs instead! 

*What in tarnation are witchetty grubs??

--Cindy  smile

#96 2003-08-08 13:57:02

Josh Cryer

Uh oh... big_smile

If you shed weight, do it because YOU want to. :;):

I actually do want to go vegetarian, just to show her it's in me, if you will. Plus, I figure that being vegetarian is more of an indepdent move to make (it's potentially easier to grow your own food, than it is to have cattle and so on for meat).

I have discussed the vegetarian lifestyle, and yeah, I realize that basically your dining out life becomes hell. Fortunately for me, though, she has a sister who has been a vegetarian for a long time, and they know all the good places to go, as it were. Becoming a vegetarian for me could be easier than it would be for first-timers.

The main problem with soy is that it has too much unneeded stuff in it. It can be processed out, but that's an extra step and it's expensive (as far as I know, it's not done extensively). A good site about the nutritional value of soy is here: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

Hemp food is made from hempseed. I say hemp to dumb it down, but we know that hemp is cannibas. Apparantly, hemp was a food source for quite awhile there, and it provides more human-friendly proteins than soy. Unfortunately, however, it's not as prominent as soy, because, of, well, the ban on cannibas (and thus, I would definitely say that the assertion that it's better is inconclusive). It would be nice to have some studies on the plant, because a colonization effort needs a good generic fast growing plant that can efficiently provide all our nutritional needs without degrading our health. Soy so far is the true candidate, but if hemp can be better than it for the same purposes, I see absolutely no reason not to chose it. A plus for hemp is that most UV light doesn't harm it. Soy, however, can't take UV light at all. Now, if only the Mars Society had a license to grow industrial hemp.

Also...
Witchetty Grubs. big_smile smile

--------

#97 2003-08-08 14:41:17

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

How about potatoes?  I think they have little or no roots and are very nutritoius.  I don't know if they have made them with hydroponics but it is the number one vegatable that americans eat!  Don't forget the Irish subsited on potatoes for quite a while.   Hail, Potatoe!

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#98 2003-08-08 14:44:37

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

Oh as for MRE I came up with another intrepation of it. . . .

here goes!

MRE:  Meals Rejected by the Enemy

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#99 2003-08-09 06:00:55

Palomar

How about potatoes?  I think they have little or no roots and are very nutritoius.  I don't know if they have made them with hydroponics but it is the number one vegatable that americans eat!  Don't forget the Irish subsited on potatoes for quite a while.   Hail, Potatoe!

*I love potatoes too.  But in at least the early days of settlement/colonization, there's not much you can do with the humble and yummy spud, unless you like them plain or simply seasoned with herbs.  There won't be any butter or sour cream or cheese for dressing them up.  There might not be a way to fry them (either pan or deep-fried); simply mashed or boiled, and basically plain.

Hmmmmm.  Suggestions, anyone?  I can't be without potatoes for 2 days straight; I'm a spud fiend, I admit. 

What can we do to help the spud on Mars?

--Cindy

#100 2003-08-09 09:08:06

Josh Cryer

I'm weird, I just like spuds with salt! Nothing else. A sprinkle of salt brings out the taste really well for me.

I think that potatoes could definitely be a food source. They grow fast, they're quite nutritious, and with with other herbs (which we would also grow), they could be quite appetizing. We could grow our own vegetable oils, to make french fries to snack on (home-made french fries are delicious, and have longer-lasting snack ablities, because they're crisper- leave the skin on!- it's good for you!).

I love potatoes. I often find that whenever I make potato salad, I can't help but eat a freshly boiled potato right out of the pan (with a sprinkle of salt!).

I think that we could potentially grow anything we wanted, of course, but I think it's sensable to say that we'd probably have a primary food source. This food source has to be fast growing (so that we can't consume it faster than it grows), very nutritional, and almost as importantly; tastey. Herbs can make food taste much better than it is, so I would recommend putting aside part of our greenhouse specifically for herbs (until we have a large surplus, of course). I love my food spicey.

Food shouldn't be consumed right away, there should be some way of preserving it. Drying vegetables, or pickeling them is the way to go. There should always be a surplus of food. These are just things to think about. Food is the most important thing on Mars, now that we know that water is practically everywhere. Argiculture is going to be the only way we can survive anywhere in space for any extended periods of time.

Vegetables can make for delicious meals. Just imagine. We could make mustard and ketchup, and put it on our soy (or hemp) synthetic meats. Can you imagine a bbq inside a dome on Mars? smile

--------

Board footer