New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2002-07-18 10:06:32

Canth

Re: Propulsion methods for the Space Exploration Act

The orion project idea is actually pretty much fallout free if you use pure fusion bomblets. No nation has ever admitted to building a pure fusion bomb though. It would be a safe launch method if the bomblets could be obtained.

By the way I just returned from Washington DC which is why I haven't posted. I even saw some anti nuclear activists in front of the white house with signs. I was sorely tempted to yell nukes rule at them. (I don't think they do but it would be funny.) How come space advocates don't have a booth out in front of the white house?

#27 2002-07-18 11:23:05

C M Edwards

How come space advocates don't have a booth out in front of the white house?

Because outrage is neither their prime motive nor main tactic.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#28 2002-07-18 19:59:41

Phobos

Mmmm-hmmmm.  And Wiccans of this sort make their pronouncements and statements on computers, powered with electricity, in a home or office with artificial heating and cool [comfort], after having gotten a snack from the refrigerator and maybe after having taken a nice hot shower courtesy their water heater and modern indoor plumbing, and later will get into their cars to go to the coven meeting.  Yeah, down with the 'evil spawn' of Patriarchy!  Riiiight. 

I can't understand people who yap against technology and the scientific method, but yet insist on having the luxuries and benefits of it.  They're hypocrites.

I think some of these causes take legitimate movements and then bastardize them into hate mongering fiascos that masquerade under things like "tolerance."  I had a professor who adored Valerie Solanas, the Hitler-wannabe who wrote the SCUM manifesto (Society for Cutting up Men) in which she said all men must be killed to free women.  In my opinion that is as bad as racism.  It's like that one professor at Boston University who refused to admit males to the class.  What's the difference between that and not allowing Asians to attend a certain class?  These hypocrites who go spewing love and tolerance from their lips don't live up well to their own words.  I realize women for far to long have been oppressed and should have exactly the same opportunities in life as men and that this type of "feminism" is a backlash to that oppression, but I think this Solanas style of feminism does a disservice to feminism in general.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#29 2002-07-18 21:30:12

Palomar

I realize women for far to long have been oppressed and should have exactly the same opportunities in life as men and that this type of "feminism" is a backlash to that oppression, but I think this Solanas style of feminism does a disservice to feminism in general.

*Agreed.  Two wrongs won't make things right.  Also, it's pure hypocrisy to denounce and criticize others for certain behaviors when the other party then turns around and behaves in similar fashion.  Besides, women generally don't treat each other with any more respect, courtesy, and compassion than they get from men.  In fact, in my own life, men have generally tended to be a bit more understanding and reasonable than many women I've dealt with. 

Some years ago I came across a magazine which advertised itself as simply being for women.  Included in this magazine was an article by a woman in jail who'd done a pagan religious rite involving the Oak King; she made a little doll, and got a laugh -- along with her cellmates -- when she beheaded it.  Another woman wrote a "feminist creation story" wherein woman is created first [by Goddess, of course] and that she must take pity on the 2nd creation -- the man -- "because something went wrong when I created him, he's not right."  Another image showed a man kneeling before a female goddess figure.  I threw the magazine away. 

This sort of crap is reverse sexism, pure and simple -- IMO.  And yes, I realize ::not all:: pagan, neopagan, Wiccan, etc., people or groups are this way; but quite a few are.

Either you're for equality of the genders or you're not; period.  In the Tai Chi, Yin and Yang are perfectly complementary and of equal size.

Sexism is sexism, and either way it's wrong so far as I'm concerned.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#30 2002-07-18 22:15:22

Canth

I totally agree with the whole equality thing. I think any concessions or courtesies should be given regardless of race or gender. Should get back to the topic though.

#31 2002-07-19 19:46:58

Phobos

Either you're for equality of the genders or you're not; period.  In the Tai Chi, Yin and Yang are perfectly complementary and of equal size.

--Cindy

Couldn't agree more.  Not only is it cruel to deny someone the chance to fulfill their dreams simply because of something like gender, but I think it also takes away from society.  I'm sure there were plenty of female Newtons out there who could have advanced science, math, whatever greatly had they not been denied the chance to express themselves based on something as arbitrary as internal plumbing.

I totally agree with the whole equality thing. I think any concessions or courtesies should be given regardless of race or gender. Should get back to the topic though.

Ah C'mon Canth, it makes it interesting when threads take unseen twists.  There's something Zen about just letting the posts go where they want to go. smile

#32 2002-07-19 19:48:25

Phobos

It seems whenever a message gets caught in limbo land between page 2 and 3 it doesn't show up until another message is posted.

#33 2002-07-20 08:45:54

Palomar

--Cindy

Couldn't agree more.  Not only is it cruel to deny someone the chance to fulfill their dreams simply because of something like gender, but I think it also takes away from society.  I'm sure there were plenty of female Newtons out there who could have advanced science, math, whatever greatly had they not been denied the chance to express themselves based on something as arbitrary as internal plumbing.

*Yes.  One such lady was Voltaire's lover, the Marquis Emilie du Chatelet.  Fortunately for her, her father recognized her intellectual brilliance and provided tutors for her as a child, because only rudimentary education was offered to females at the time; even in the nobility class.  She was a genius.  She was fluent in 3 or 4 languages and had a mastery of mathematics by the time she was in her early teens.  It was she who translated Newton's Mathematica Principia from English into French; she finished it shortly before she died at age 43.  Before her death, however, men in academic circles were already attributing her work as "really" being that of her tutor, a guy named Koenig.  This would be the equivalent of saying Dr. Zubrin's books aren't his really, but rather that of his teachers and professors!  She was outraged, and rightfully so.  Voltaire stood up for her, and not just because she was his lover; Voltaire was one of the extremely rare men of his time who believed women could think and reason with equal ability to that of men.  He was ignored, and during this time Koenig was trying to feather his hat by taking credit for Emilies work; Voltaire "settled accounts" with Koenig soon enough.  Ironically, however, a few years later Voltaire would feel compelled to protect Koenig himself; they both were, along with an adventurist and scientist named Maupertuis, guests of the court of Frederick the Great.  Maupertuis had put forth a "treatise" on some scientific matter which Koenig politely tried to point out was in error; Maupertuis had been made a member of the Berlin Academy of Sciences, and was the King's chief advisor in scientific matters -- thus, Frederick took Maupertuis' side; Maupertuis assembled the Academy and sought to have Koenig ejected from science circles, totally discredited, and he also moved to have the authorities "silence" Koenig, i.e. deprive him of his right to speak on behalf of himself -- all because Maupertuis was the King's favorite scientist and because his pride had gotten pricked.  The gross unfairness of the matter pissed Voltaire off, and he went to Koenig's defense, by writing "The Diatribe of Dr. Akakia" -- which lampooned Maupertuis, ridiculed and exposed him, etc.  He managed to slip this pamphlet alongside of a work the King [Frederick the Great] had approved for publishing, after Frederick had warned Voltaire it ["The Diatribe of Dr. Akakia"] would not be published [Frederick had read the "rough draft" and had laughed along with it, though it was only to be between them].  Voltaire snuck it out for publishing -- and sure enough, it's published with the Royal Crown & Seal on it!  Bookshops all over Berlin are displaying Voltaire's latest 2 works in their front windows!  smile  Frederick was livid, had "The Diatribe" confiscated and burned.  Voltaire left the court, and that pretty much soured their friendship for many years.  Frederick then tried to get even with Voltaire, who responded by having privately published a 2nd edition of "The Diatribe of Dr. Akakia" [which was selling like hotcakes], which made Maupertuis look more ridiculous and discreditable than before.

Anyway [sorry for the digression, can you tell I love this stuff?!], I just wanted to provide an example of Phobos' comment.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#34 2002-07-20 15:08:48

Phobos

I remember reading about an ancient woman in India that developed some of the rudimentary concepts of calculus long before the likes of Newton came along.  She was filleted alive with abalone shells or so the story goes.

#35 2002-07-25 09:10:40

Canth

Wouldn't be at all surprised.

Board footer