New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2002-11-29 22:25:19

el scorcho

Re: Flags and governments - Political and humanity conflicts on Mars

I'm sorry, but if I ever see that flag I might have to PUT a swastika on it. Somehow it doesn't inspire confidence in the government.

Haha, you're right...not too inspiring to the native Martian, nor intimidating to outside observers.

In all seriousness, I would have to say that for an official flag, there should either be small images of the flags of every nation involved in the mission (they would be superimposed on some larger design) or no national flags at all.  I REALLY don't want to see this 'flags and footprints' business on Mars.

I would love to see a flag or symbol that embodied the entire population of Earth (ANYTHING but the UN flag). If placing a national flag symbolizes a nation claiming land, then there should be some sort of universal symbol for humanity, as if to say, "this land is claimed by Earth and all humankind."

I seem to remember from my fourth grade science class that each planet in the solar system has some sort of symbol. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If Earth's symbol were used on a blue or red backdrop, we could be on to something.

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#27 2002-11-29 23:25:21

AltToWar

If I went to mars, The first thing I would do once there would to plant the flag of The Soverin Planetary Government of Mars and declare independance.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -Henry David Thoreau

#28 2002-11-30 02:30:33

Cobra Commander

I seem to remember from my fourth grade science class that each planet in the solar system has some sort of symbol. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If Earth's symbol were used on a blue or red backdrop, we could be on to something.

Not a bad idea. The symbol for Earth is a cross within a circle, or perhaps better described as a circle divided into four equal parts.
Given the recent discussion, I'm gonna suggest we use that symbol in black, on a white circle centered on a red field.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#29 2002-11-30 02:45:05

Shaun Barrett

Deutschland Erwache !!

Heil Cobra!!!

big_smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#30 2002-11-30 11:43:34

el scorcho

Not a bad idea. The symbol for Earth is a cross within a circle, or perhaps better described as a circle divided into four equal parts.
Given the recent discussion, I'm gonna suggest we use that symbol in black, on a white circle centered on a red field. big_smile

Haha, ZEIG! COBRA, DER FUHRER!

The Earth symbol on a blue backdrop or Mars' symbol on a red backdrop. Or perhaps a combination of the two?

"In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#31 2002-12-02 10:15:34

Cobra Commander

I'm getting this weird image of people goose-stepping through red dirt with big clunky boots and helmets on. Comical, more than anything. Ah, the spectacle of Martian Fascism. big_smile

Might have to get a t-shirt with this Earth flag for the next conference. If nothing else, it's more aesthetically pleasing than that red-green-blue tri-color.

Ein Volk, Ein Mars. (Don't read too much into that.)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer