New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#276 2005-09-23 03:40:26

Julius Caeser

Re: Mars Exploration Rovers (MER)

Interesting data regarding decreasing snow deposits in south pole as observed by MOC,suggestive of climate change on Mars.I have one query about this...to what extent can these data be indicative of a climate change??I thought even seasonal dust storms over polar caps determined the extent of snow deposition in the poles!!I would like to know what you people in Forum think about this! sad

#277 2005-09-23 05:34:10

Palomar

Interesting data regarding decreasing snow deposits in south pole as observed by MOC,suggestive of climate change on Mars.I have one query about this...to what extent can these data be indicative of a climate change??I thought even seasonal dust storms over polar caps determined the extent of snow deposition in the poles!!I would like to know what you people in Forum think about this! sad

*Hi.  Well, that is new data obtained.  I'm not a professional scientist...and even they are just now poring over these new findings/info.  Based on what I've read, it's indicative of Mars' climate changing more rapidly than previously anticipated.

There was also (posted in the "MOC Pictures" thread) a recent discovery of new and quick gully formation on Mars; noticeable changes seen within 2 or 3 years' time.

NASA has an "Ask NASA" feature.  You'd have to Google for it; sorry, I don't have that link handy. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#278 2005-09-26 16:04:58

Palomar

Spirit & Tennessee Valley

*Most recent update.  Is examining a feature named "Cliffhanger." 

Spirit scuffed the soil using its wheels in the area around Cliffhanger, and then observed both the scuffed and undisturbed soil.

Continued observations/image taking of Phobos & Deimos.  Mentions a stereo panorama Spirit is obtaining.

Spirit drove towards "Hillary" to get a better overlook of Tennessee Valley.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#279 2005-09-27 03:40:38

Julius Caeser

Any idea how far is Opportunity from Erebus Crater and when will it arrive there?It seems they have not considered they would enter the crater just as in Endurance crater but to  keep  on roving to the etched terrain onto Victoria. 8)

#280 2005-09-27 11:15:00

Palomar

Update on Oppy

*Entry of September 16 (not seen in above link) said Oppy was -- at that time -- less than 328 feet from Erebus Crater.  No definite date set as to when it will arrive at EC, based on articles I've skimmed.  Google may provide additional answers for others who may wish to search with Google.

--Cindy  smile

#281 2005-09-29 16:12:55

Julius Caeser

Erebus Crater is clearly visible on the horizon.It looks like its filled with sand dunes even more than Bonneville crater at the Gusev site.Approaching the crater rim looks like will be difficult for Oppy,in view of the surrounding dunes.I'm quite happy if Oppy would continue on driving to the etched terrain onto Victoria. 8)

#282 2005-10-03 07:16:51

Palomar

Spirit reaches true summit

*...of Husband Hill.  Mentions again the panoramic camera thing and observing Phobos & Deimos. 

Spirit has reached the true summit, which is in the eastern portion of the nearly level hilltop crest that Spirit reached in late August. Plans are to drive to a good imaging location. From the new location, Spirit will acquire a panorama of the plains and valleys below.

Sol-by-Sol summaries given.  To date, Spirit has traveled 3.09 miles.  Also, the summit of Husband Hill is aprox 348 feet above Spirit's landing site. 

--Cindy

#283 2005-10-04 11:26:50

Palomar

Good news

*Scientists have -stopped- placing bets on when Oppy & Spirit will kick the bucket.  They're post 1-1/2 years past their original "expiration date," still going strong of course.  Squyres believes their longevity is due in great part to winds blowing dust off their solar panels.

Here's to another 1-1/2 years.  ::toast::

--Cindy

#284 2005-10-05 05:33:17

Palomar

Oppy has a "hiccup"

*Last week Oppy "suffered a warm reboot" and went into safe mode.  This involved a bug -- the type of bug and how it effects the MER is described.  Two Odyssey passes were missed as a result.  The team sent real-time commands and regained control of Oppy.  Otherwise O is in good health.  This is the 1st time Oppy's experienced a failure of this type; it's occurred twice before on Spirit.

Prior to, Oppy had been examining "Deception," a target on "South Shetland."  Sol-by-Sol summary given, like usual.

--Cindy

#285 2005-10-10 06:49:41

Palomar

Spirit healthy

*Is continuing science work on Husband Hill's summit.  Has taken a 360-degree panorama of the surroundings.  Drove down to clean "Hillary" -- a rock outcrop -- for robotic arm work.  Sol-by-Sol summary covers 9/30 through 10/2.  To date, Spirit has traveled 3.10 miles from its landing site. 

--Cindy

#286 2005-10-12 05:21:51

Palomar

Update on Oppy

*Is healthy and moving westward around Erebus Crater.  They've been driving Oppy ala "restricted Sols," i.e. driving it every other Sol. 

On Sol 603 Oppy experienced 44.5% slippage.  The slip limit is 40%, so the drive was stopped.  Sinkage was also reported:  2 inches for the left front wheel and 1.6 inches for the right front wheel.

On Sol 605 they performed slip checks, and movies of the wheels were taken with the hazard-avoidance camera.

Total current odometry is 3.73 miles.

--Cindy

#287 2005-10-14 05:02:19

Julius Caeser

Nothing to do with the rovers but just a thought;scientists are arguing that Arctic ice on Earth will completely disappear by the end of the century due to global warming on this planet.How can one explain the same phenomenon occurring on Mars with the shrinking of the polar caps indicative of a similar global warming and yet there is no such burning of oils and industrial pollution as on Earth.Could the global warming on both planets be indicative of a solar origin rather than an  8)  earthly one???

#288 2005-10-20 06:43:42

Palomar

Update on both MERs

*Spirit's descending from Husband Hill, along a southerly slope, towards a science target named "Home Plate."

Oppy's recovered from that bout of glitches, is making progress around Erebus Crater.

Check out the bit about the Martian anniversary.  Squyres enthused, saying we'll have seen an entire seasonal cycle on Mars, if the anniversary is reached. 

--Cindy

#289 2005-10-26 05:45:33

Palomar

Oppy:  Out of the blueberry zone?

*Blueberries were getting progressively smaller out from "Strawberry" and "Lemon Rind", before Oppy got onto the Erebus Highway.  Now at Erebus, there seems to be no "blueberries" at all.  Better images will be obtained to ascertain this. 

Squyres describes Erebus as a "nasty place" with wide spaces between outcrops populated by potentially MER-eating dunes and drifts.

One feature has been named Mogollon Rim.  Interesting; the Mogollon Indians were native to southwestern New Mexico.

Brief update on Spirit also given.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  Angular Sand

#290 2005-10-29 18:52:44

Palomar

Sandstorm spreading into Oppy's vicinity:

Photo

The storm is spreading into the Sinus Meridiani region of Mars where NASA's rover Opportunity is located.  In the days ahead, the rover might be able to photograph hazy skies or even experience blowing dust.

Prior to today's development we've been following this sandstorm in this thread (devoted to amateur and professional observations during the "close encounter").

As the current development pertains to Oppy I thought I'd do a rare cross-post.

--Cindy

#291 2005-10-30 16:49:55

Julius Caeser

Interesting stuff...watching weather on Mars as it evolves by the hour!!Havent seen any pics from the orbiters yet:MGS and Mars Odyssey/Mars Express??!!

I must congratulate Marsgeo.com for the splendid feature showing us the various rock types identified at Gusev Crater by Spirit rover;Must see wink

#292 2005-11-02 06:20:54

Palomar

Havent seen any pics from the orbiters yet:MGS and Mars Odyssey/Mars Express??!!

*JC, this folder (Unmanned Probes) has a thread for MOC (MGS) pictures and another for Mars Express.  Both are on the 1st page of Unmanned Probe thread listings; it should only take a few seconds to locate and access them.  smile

As for photos from Oppy of that impending (and now -gone- it seems) dust storm mentioned in my previous post...I haven't seen any (nor from MOC or ME; there hasn't been much activity in those threads recently).

Oppy Update

*Oppy is sniffing around the NW side of Erebus Crater.  It's having to zigzag to avoid sandy ripples.  They're driving Oppy every possible Sol.  In the mornings Oppy's been doing sky and horizon surveys, and is also on the lookout for dust devils.  "Mogollon Rim" mentioned again.

Oppy experienced a software glitch which resulted in the loss of an afternoon relay session with Mars Odyssey.  On a different Sol Oppy experienced a battery-recharging difficulty.  Total odometry currently is 3.89 miles.

A link to a Spirit update is located at the end of the article.  Spirit is at an outcrop named "Kansas," performing robotic arm activities on a target named "Kestrel."

--Cindy

#293 2005-11-02 08:06:09

REB
Banned
Website

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#294 2005-11-03 12:14:51

C M Edwards

I'm discovering that I hate MER auto-mode...

Opportunity is currently experiencing a sand-storm, which got so bad a few days ago that it delayed its automatic powerup and put the rover in safe mode.  Apparently, that means no new pictures for the next few days, even though the rover is presently out of safe mode and transmitting data.  NASA's got the pictures - they're just not posting properly here on earth.

It looks like a hardware glitch on Mars is foiling NASA's web server millions of miles away.  Forget any minor inconveniences: That's just science fiction amazing.   8)

I do fear that events like this will become more and more common as the rovers begin to wear out, though.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#295 2005-11-04 13:41:48

Julius Caeser

Just seen Mars thru a 7 inch telescope....happened to see the same hemisphere  I saw 2 years back!!!mare cimerium and elysium;was hoping   I could get a glimpse of the dust storm over meridiani :cry:

PS. How was Haloween!!?? :twisted:

#296 2005-11-09 06:53:47

Palomar

Archived update page

*I just read the entries for both MERs dated November 4.  The recent dust storm on Mars in Oppy's vicinity didn't faze it; in fact, Oppy's energy levels are up.  On Sol 631 Oppy drove 128 feet to the edge of an outcrop.  The next Sol it drove 16 feet to check a target named "Olympia."  The RAT is being used on a target named Kalavrita.

Spirit is healthy.  East Basin is mentioned.  Spirit had 3 overnight observations and is continuing to drive downhill.

--Cindy

#297 2005-11-10 06:20:53

Palomar

"Everest" panorama

*Just in from Spirit.  Obtained Sols 620 - 622 (Oct. 1 - 3).  The clarity is akin to human 20/20 vision.  Is a mosaic of course, looking outward in every direction from Husband Hill. 

The sky's color and brightness changes are due to atmospheric dust variations from Sol to Sol.  Mentions occasional haze.  Dust devils also seen in the pic.

Excellent.  smile

--Cindy

#298 2005-11-15 09:15:35

C M Edwards

Look at this panoramic camera shot from sol 642.  It looks like dried flakes of something on the next outcrop over.  There also appear to be traces of similar material under the dune on the right side in the panoramic camera shot taken to the left.  The deposit reaching under the dune doesn't appear to have curled, though.   

My guess is that these deposits are the remains of a layer running underneath the surrounding dunes, but if so, it would be something easily weathered to be worn away at the dune edge and leave only traces here and there on the rock face. 

Of course, there's always the chance that the large deposit is also newly deposited.    :idea:  I think Opportunity should roll over and have a look.

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#299 2005-11-16 07:44:05

Palomar

Spirit captures Phobal eclipse

*Terrific.  Includes photo and diagram.

This image is a time-lapse composite of eight Pancam images of Phobos moving across the martian sky. The entire eclipse lasted more than 26 minutes, but Spirit was able to observe only in the first 15 minutes. During the time closest to the shadow crossing, Spirit's cameras were programmed to take images every 10 seconds.

In the first three images, Phobos was in sunlight, moving toward the upper right. After a 100-second delay while Spirit's computer processed the first three images, the rover then took the fourth image, showing Phobos just starting to enter the darkness of the martian shadow. At that point, an observer sitting on Phobos and looking back toward the Sun would have seen a spectacular sunset! In the fifth image, Phobos appeared like a crescent, almost completely shrouded in darkness.

In the last three images, Phobos had slipped entirely into the shadow of Mars. However, as with our own Moon during lunar eclipses on Earth, it was not entirely dark. The small amount of light still visible from Phobos is a kind of "Mars-shine" -- sunlight reflected through Mars' atmosphere and into the shadowed region.

Rover scientists took some images later in the sequence to try to figure out if this "Mars-shine" made Phobos colorful while in eclipse, but they'll need more time to complete the analysis because the signal levels are so low.

--Cindy

#300 2005-11-22 03:01:14

Rxke

Happy Birthday Spirit!  big_smile

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotligh … 51121.html

And long live the DustDevils, making this all possible, check out the article, scroll down to that pick of the sundials, before and after a Martian 'carwash'  :shock:

Board footer