New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2003-03-27 15:01:23

clark

Re: Naming Martian Settlements 2 - Continued from previous thread

Shall I continue to list some of the many sites of interest on Mars?

Or would others perhaps care to ask about anything we have discussed so far?

#27 2003-03-27 16:10:48

Josh Cryer

Mars-an, is the term for declaring that you are a person of Mars. It is your home. Is it not the same when you declare yourself a Terran? Are you not a person of Terra, Earth?

Some call themselves Earthlings. Others refrain from distinguishing themselves at all, and instead consider themselves just human. I am one of the latter people, who finds such designations silly and unnecessary. Is this wrong?Does this offend you? I could, of course, never say I was born of Mars, that would be a lie, nor could any Martian say that they themselves were born of Terra. But one thing we can all say in common, is that we were all born of the stars. Of Sol.

If I were to assign a designation to myself, I would declare myself a Solan. And you couldn't run from such a designation despite the fact that you're trying to segregate yourself from two characters... characters which were used much longer to refer to inhabitants of Mars than your own.

Martian is nothing more than alien. It is an 'outsider' not of our kind.

Yet you use a word which only differs by two characters?

Should I bandy about complaints that I'm offended that you call me Terran when I've lived most of my life offworld? I've lived on the clouds of Venus, in one of the first large superdomes on Mars, pioneering the earliest Martian machinery, I've even lived in orbit at Terra 6, the first Large Earth Lagrange Station, for a time. I died on Titan, barely managing to be revived by the wonderful scientists orbiting in the Jupiter station. To think that I was reborn on Titan! Does that make me a Titanian? Does it even matter?

Really, this Martian political correctness is annoying.

I have flesh as you have flesh. My body grows as yours does. I laugh, and I cry, just as you. Is this alien?

And yet, I have not called you alien. I have called you a Person of Mars. A Martian is one who is of Mars. A part of Mars. This offends you? Are you rejecting your place on Mars? What then do we call Martian landscapes? Mars-an landscapes? Mars-an sunsets?

clark, in all seriousness, your little posts are quite charming. I won't discuss the merits of each individual vision, of course, but it'd be nice if you gave a thorough breakdown of one of these ?places.? I promise I won't criticize. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#28 2003-03-27 18:07:13

clark

"Some call themselves Earthlings. Others refrain from distinguishing themselves at all, and instead consider themselves just human."

Ah, there is still much I must learn of Terran's! Their ways are indeed strange; and their thoughts, well, my parents spoke well of how Terran's think, and it seems you prove many of their points.

Let me explain my travelled friend, Hu-man is not a term any Mars-an would wish to be associated with. I would imagine that a world filled with as many voices as your own, you might better understand how different people can look upon the same word and give it new meaning.

The word 'human' is recognizable for what it is, a designation of Man. I am of Man, as you are of Man, as indeed, all of the inhabitants of Sol are of Man. Many of the academics on Mars even still use the rather antiquated terminology you refer to. Are you a student of Dr. O'Hare?  No matter.

The Hu-man, pronounced 'Who-Man', is a derogatory term that can be applied to any of the people of Man. It is by far one of the worst insults, at least as far as Mars-an's are concerned. See how our common tongue can be a barrier to communication?

To be Hu-man is to be a stranger. It is to be all that is base and dispicable of Man. It is the Hu-man that led to the Dark Days. It is the Hu-man that destroyed communities.

It is the Hu-man that is truly alien to all that is Mars-an.

We are family, you and I. And from your words, you seem to be well traveled. I will recognize you as Solan, or Offworlder, if you wish. However, no one from my world is aware of any such people of Man that you describe.

Where hails your community among the stars?

#29 2003-03-28 15:07:30

clark

Bacchus

#30 2003-03-28 15:36:14

clark

Flutterby Garden

#31 2003-03-28 18:11:11

clark

New Tomis

#32 2003-03-29 05:10:35

Josh Cryer

Those Mars-ans are quite self-absorbed.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#33 2003-03-29 15:51:48

Josh Cryer

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. What caused it?

--------

#34 2003-03-31 08:33:32

clark

"Hmm, the old city of Tomis celebrated in 1996 2500 years of continous existence, certified by documents (but now it's not called Tomis anymore)."

#35 2003-03-31 08:56:34

clark

"What is this "Dark Days" you are talking about? What caused it?"

#36 2003-03-31 10:59:50

clark

Degu

#37 2003-03-31 14:09:52

clark

The Race of Two Brothers (A Mars-an childrens story)

#38 2003-03-31 17:09:37

clark

Traveler of Sol

#39 2003-04-01 08:20:39

clark

Phases of a Community

#40 2003-04-01 11:46:02

clark

Twin Sisters

#41 2003-04-01 12:16:54

clark

Bloom

#42 2003-04-01 12:55:39

clark

Luna Falls

#43 2003-04-02 16:11:04

Bill White

Grovers Mill

In my work in progress Mars stories this is where the secular humanist (dirty bastard atheists) will live. An ironic name given by the settlers to their impromptu habitat in honor of Grovers Mills New Jersey - a real place near Princeton - and the location where the Martians landed in the HG Wells radio play "War of the Worlds"

Ironic as perhaps these settlers see themselves as invaders.

If anyone likes the name, there is no reason it cannot exist in multiple and parallel fictional universes.

#44 2003-04-02 16:32:15

clark

The Twins

#45 2003-04-03 10:17:00

clark

Grovers Mill

#46 2003-04-17 04:46:59

Gennaro

Well, if planetfall was made in Oxys Planus, on the southern shores of Mare Acidalium, near the equator where it's warm, I'd simply call the settlement Oxis.

It would be your basic early Martian citystate, consisting mainly of agricultultural domes, interconnected by subterrenan passages and hallways, the little kingdom growing and extending organically in all directions.
Close ties would be held with Arcadia, in the west and merchant trades established with 'Alpha' (see: Red Colony) as well as far off Grovers Mill.

Moving northeast along the western shores of the Acidalian sea, you'll eventually reach Cydonia, land of the the great face. Here I might found a city called Sydon.

As terraformation set in, the melting ice would fill the adjoining lowlands and in the far future, both cities would be situated on the shores of the aforementioned Mare Acedalium, by now a real ocean, mighty crystal lit palaces, overlooking the waves.

Oxis and Sydon, does that sound exotically sci-fi enough for you?

:laugh:

#47 2003-04-17 05:08:06

Gennaro

Haven't read any of the earlier posts until now. Must say I quickly fell in love with the names of Degu and Bloom where the garden is. But perhaps most of all the old city of Toomis and its great tower of Mars.

:laugh:

#48 2003-04-17 07:55:58

dicktice

Gennaro: I wish you hadn't used the term "kingdom" in your post. And I know it sounds rediculous, but your Oxis and Sydon made me think at once of Sodom and Gormorra. Sorry for not being more helpful....

Board footer