New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2005-07-20 10:48:22

Palomar

Re: Critters - (Articles pertaining to animals)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_ … cky_turtle

*Turtle saved from soup-pot destination. 

Weighs 33 pounds, is male, an endangered Royal Turtle.  RT eggs used to be fed to kings.  Hmmmm.  They found a microchip on the turtle; it originated from southern Cambodia apparently. 

Article says it's vital to return him to southern Cambodia, where 2 to 8 lady turtles await ...  wink

The turtle's had an adventure, now it's time to be Papa.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#52 2005-07-26 08:51:10

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … .html]Cats don't have a sweet tooth

*Cats are missing 1 of 2 proteins which create sweet receptors on the tongue.  Nearly every other mammal on the planet possesses sweet receptors to some degree.  Losing SR changes dietary habits.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#53 2005-07-26 17:02:53

Grypd

This I could not believe when I read it till they showed coverage of it actually happening on the news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4708899.stm] Mutant mice threaten Albatross population

These mice with there high protein diet are now usually about 3 times the size of normal mice, they also seem to attack in packs.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#54 2005-07-27 08:58:25

Palomar

*Not an article:  We've got a new kitten.  Sonar.  Caused a bit of mayhem.  My husband was supposed to pick the kitten up from a friend.  40 minutes ago she called...please come get the kitten now (at her place of employment).  My husband was supposed to do that at 8:30; she's calling 15 minutes early.  Husband not answering his cellphone.  I try to return her call to say I'll pick up the kitten, and where in the office is she located?  Spoke to someone who doesn't know who this lady is.  Go to the office, fortunately she's at the front desk.

Sonar is smoky gray, perhaps 6 weeks old -- but not more than that.  Huge blue-gray eyes and a peeping "mew."  LOL.  Handed over to me in a pillowcase.  So cute.  He's the nephew of our cat who went missing earlier this year (Radar). 

Turned a corner for home and far down the street is my husband, at a stoplight -- and now turning into traffic.  We just missed each other (he was on his way to pick up Sonar).

My husband is setting up last details of "home" for Sonar:  Fresh kitty litter, etc. 

It's nice having a cat in the house again. 

--Cindy

P.S.:  Just went to check on the little critter (he's suddenly quiet).  Curled up into a ball on the pillowcase in a laundry basket in the bathtub, snoozing away.  Awwwww.  big_smile

#55 2005-07-27 14:01:06

dicktice

Cindy: Empathy for your kitten-post, as an excuse to check out this new system which has had me going nuts trying to reestablish my access to the Mars Society. We had a cat called "Smokey" years ago who looked like that, by the way.

#56 2005-07-27 14:25:44

Palomar

Cindy: Empathy for your kitten-post, as an excuse to check out this new system which has had me going nuts trying to reestablish my access to the Mars Society. We had a cat called "Smokey" years ago who looked like that, by the way.

*Hi dicktice:  Glad your access troubles are over and you're back with us. 

Sonar's sleeping again.  He was mewing for company.  I put a stuffed animal in with him, hoping that'd do the trick (but figuring it wouldn't); yet it did work -- he's stayed close to the stuffed rabbit and now is curled up companionably beside it.  Surrogate mother for him, apparently.   lol

--Cindy

#57 2005-08-02 13:18:30

Palomar

Its]http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050802/ts_nm/life_panda_dc]It's a boy!  big_smile

*Baby Panda is doing fine.  Includes photo.  They are so cute.  He's finally got fur (last photo I saw, he was still at that tiny furless rat-like looking stage).

On a different note:  Our kitten seems to be female.  We'll keep the same name and I'd originally wanted a female feline this time around anyway.  She's growing quickly, becoming rambunctious, likes to claw her way up pantlegs and etc.  Now she's wanting to chase and pounce on our feet.  wink

--Cindy

#58 2005-09-08 21:01:48

Palomar

Rare White Giraffe Photographed

*Is not believed to be an albino, however.  Mr. Foley finally got the pic he's been wanting to get for 12 years after reported sightings about the white giraffe began circulating in 1993.  A year later there were no more sightings.  He doubts the giraffe in the pic is the same one as seen by others in 1993.

"The proof is there to see—a mostly white giraffe with small dark blotches on its body," Foley said. "Only the bottom half of its legs were the more traditional brown color."

cool

Kitten update:  She toots a lot.  roll  P-U, lol!  And we changed her name to Trixie.

--Cindy

#59 2005-10-06 09:40:31

Palomar

400 birds killed by TV tower wires in 1 night

neutral

*And other similar mass deaths reported. 

--Cindy

#60 2005-10-18 06:14:56

Palomar

New Orleans zoo animals confused, stressed out

*Poor critters.  There's some good news among the bad, though.

Panya and Jean, the zoo's two elephants, crave attention. At 5 tons and with flanks hard as concrete, Jean is a puckish entertainer who seems to miss her audience.

She perked up when a National Guard unit set up camp in the parking lot. Whenever the guardsmen visited, she'd come running, says Dan Maloney, Audubon's curator.

"They may have been sneaking her treats. I don't know."

big_smile  Sounds like Jean's a smart girl.

One of the zoo's alligators went missing for 2 weeks after the hurricane; it's okay and has returned.

Unfortunately an extremely rare bird (Bali Mynah) is still unaccounted for and feared dead.  Only 1 dozen are believed to exist in the wild.  sad

--Cindy

#61 2006-01-11 12:35:47

Palomar

Cy:  The 1-eyed kitten

*Died shortly after birth.  A pro checked the film, photos; seems true.  The lady has frozen the kitten's corpse in case medical science would like to examine Cy.

--Cindy

#62 2007-10-21 07:09:50

Yang Liwei Rocket

USC Concept Synthesis Studio Colonizes The Moon With Bugs

"Social animals working toward the survival of the whole," spoke Graduate student Gokee Ince.

Ms. Ince's idea was for Termite Colonies to be grown on the moon and in-situ feedstock from an assumed existing green house. The hydrogen production was also seen to be routed to a fuel-cell that generated power and the by-product water was used to keep the termite colony moist.

Ms. Ince delighted the audience with answers to a question by ISU Board Member Michael Potter about her inspiration. She said something like "I had a termite problem and then had this assignment and the two just clicked." Pure inspiration was a pleasure to see.

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#63 2019-03-17 20:40:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Bump just fixing it later....

#64 2023-09-13 18:40:09

Mars_B4_Moon

For the first time, research reveals crows use statistical logic

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/09 … cal-logic/

Board footer