New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2005-05-09 11:38:01

Palomar

Re: Critters - (Articles pertaining to animals)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/kenya_abandoned_baby]Sweet pooch

*Stray female dog with litter of puppies saves life of abandoned newborn baby.  She carried the baby to her litter of puppies (across a busy road and carefully through some barbed wire, no less!) and cared for the child as best she could.  :*)

Baby is now in a hospital, stable, doing well.

Happy Mother's Day for sure.  She deserves an award.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#27 2005-05-09 12:17:45

dicktice

In Swedish, when you've mislayed something and then find it again, you say, "There it was." The logic is irrefutable, totally un-English. We are such sloppy speakers ... and oh, how we revel in it!

#28 2005-05-24 08:28:20

Palomar

*From universetoday.com article:

Saturday, May 28 - On this day in 1959, the first primates made it to space. Abel (a rhesus monkey) and Baker (a squirrel monkey) lifted off in the nose cone of an Army Jupiter missile and were carried to sub-orbital flight. Recovered unharmed, Abel died just three days later from anesthesia during an electrode removal, but Baker lived on to a ripe old age of 27.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#29 2005-05-28 13:37:33

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050526/sc … abs]Spider crab invasion

*I've seen video of these critters and they're creepy looking.  :-\  Legs average 18 inches long...ugh.

This swarm is 50,000 members strong and apparently "scaring the hell out of" the local fish population.  They are clustered together on an area of the ocean floor spanning the size of a football field.  Yipes.

--Cindy

#30 2005-05-29 11:05:22

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050529/ap_ … ticketed]A chicken crossed a road...

*...and ruffled some feathers. 

"For the last two and a half years, no one has been able to stop the kids riding their bikes in the middle of the road or the neighbors' dogs running around our neighborhood," Linc Moore said.

Yeah, well, you know how it goes:  It's okay when they do it. 

"But when our chicken escaped and crossed the road once it became a huge issue."

Figures.

The Moores said they got the ticket because they were among several people who complained that deputies have done little to curb noisy off-road vehicle riders.

Figures. 

Sheriff's officials said the ticket had nothing to do with the Moores' complaints.

Sure it didn't.  roll 

--Cindy

#31 2005-06-03 13:18:28

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050603/ap_ … harks]Gray nurse sharks

*First to be protected by Aussie gov't in 1984, after overfishing/hunting nearly wiped this breed out.  They estimate there are only aprox 460 gray nurse sharks in the region and that, for a very peculiar reason, the shark might not be able to "regenerate itself naturally"...and could go extinct within 20 years.

The gray nurse shark has a nasty habit which isn't helping:

Embryos harvested from female sharks in the wild will be reared separately in artificial wombs designed to stop the ravenous fish from devouring each other before birth in what is known as "intrauterine cannibalism."

Egad.  sad 

Yeah, I know nature has its ways and we shouldn't impose morals onto it...but that is chilling.  :-\

Apparently these sharks aren't a menace to humans, preferring to snack on fish instead.

I wonder if any of the more aggressive baby gray nurse sharks has ever tried eating its way out of its mother? 

"...in the wild, each female gray nurse shark produces only two pups every two years — not enough to increase species numbers..."

Yeah, well...eat your wombmates and look what happens.  yikes

--Cindy

#32 2005-06-22 09:50:32

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … html]Lions protect kidnapped girl

*An amazing story. 

“Everyone in thinks this is some kind of miracle, because normally the lions would attack people,'' Wondimu said.

They think the lions fortunately mistook the girl's whimperings for the sounds of a lion cub.  I've never read/heard of anything quite like this.

Sometimes animals are more humane than humans.

--Cindy

#33 2005-06-23 06:23:02

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … tml]Gemini:  Kitten with two faces

*Vets have initially given this kitten a 10% chance of surviving.  Gemini was born on Sunday.  This is apparently one for the veterinary journals.  The kitten seems to be feeding better.  Good luck.

--Cindy

#34 2005-06-24 10:20:39

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … r.html]How hummingbirds hover

*I love hummingbirds.  There are always 3 or 4 of them darting about the nearby park we frequently walk. 

Article says they aren't "bugs with feathers."  :laugh: 

They get their lift not only by the downstrokes of their wings (which accounts for 75% of all wingstrokes) but also from the upstroke (25%). 

In comparison, most nectar-feeding insects get equal (50-50) support from the up and down motion of their wings.  Other birds rely entirely (100 percent) on the down stroke.

Hummingbird wings can beat as swiftly as 100 times per second

Cute little critters.

--Cindy

#35 2005-06-28 14:00:01

Palomar

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15 … 00.html]Oh my god...

*Check that article out.  yikes 

Scientists have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

I just found this posted at a different forum I frequent.  Bizarre but fascinating.  Is this familiar to anyone else? 

--Cindy

#36 2005-06-28 14:17:31

Grypd

It cries out suspended animation does it not.

But what will the result be to Humans will they be the same person who goes under. This is sort of steven King material here.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#37 2005-06-28 14:28:07

clark

saw it yesterday.

a cold saline solution helps to prevent deteroiation of the cells. Immediate benefits are for those undergoing major surgery (like heart surgery or organ transplant).

They put you down, freeze ya, do their thing, then reanimate afterwards.

This works for a few hours, not sure how applicable it would be for months or weeks (which is what you would need for practical suspended animation).

But who knows...

#38 2005-06-28 15:07:13

reddragon
Banned

But what will the result be to Humans will they be the same person who goes under.

Provided that no brain damage is done, it should be the same person as it is with any type of resuscitation (heart attack victims, people surviving falling into cold water, etc. where people are brought back after usually no more than a few minutes of "death." If you can manage to bring someone back after a few hours they should still have the same memories, personality, and such. First, however, we'd have to make sure that this does no permanent damage, especially brain damage.

One thing with humans is that many might report near death experiences after something like this. Perhaps it would even provide more insight into the phenomenon.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#39 2005-06-28 19:31:04

Cobra Commander

Oh my god...

I've been following snippets of that sort of work for awhile now, fascinating stuff. But seeing as it's late and I'm in danger of losing power to one of the lightning blasts currently going on. . .

Muahahahaha! It's aliiiiive!

big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#40 2005-06-29 04:32:30

Palomar

Oh my god...

I've been following snippets of that sort of work for awhile now, fascinating stuff. But seeing as it's late and I'm in danger of losing power to one of the lightning blasts currently going on. . .

Muahahahaha! It's aliiiiive!

big_smile

:laugh: 

Grypd:  But what will the result be to Humans will they be the same person who goes under.

reddragon:  Provided that no brain damage is done, it should be the same person as it is with any type of resuscitation (heart attack victims, people surviving falling into cold water, etc. where people are brought back after usually no more than a few minutes of "death." If you can manage to bring someone back after a few hours they should still have the same memories, personality, and such. First, however, we'd have to make sure that this does no permanent damage, especially brain damage.

One thing with humans is that many might report near death experiences after something like this. Perhaps it would even provide more insight into the phenomenon.

*Yes, so much interesting speculation.  The article didn't indicate these dogs had been domestic pets.  Of course an owner, who'd have a dog undergoing the procedure, could tell if the dog's personality and reactions, etc., were the same or not.  But it'd probably be difficult to get pets subjected to this procedure, as most cherished pets are only put to sleep after a serious injury, if suffering from a terminal illness or if they're very old and feeble. 

As for humans surviving near-drowning in cold water, the longest duration of that which has been rather well survived was a young person under water (very frigid temps) for nearly 23 minutes.  He recuperated completely.  But a human being resuscitated after 3 hours?  Not sure of the differences nor similarities in tissue breakdown between a dog and human...

As for your mention of near-death experiences, reddragon:  Wow, yes. 

--Cindy

#41 2005-07-01 12:08:23

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050701/ap_ … ttacks]Yet another Florida shark attack  :-\

*19 year old European man in chest-high water, bitten on the ankle.  Rushed to hospital, no immediate status report.  This makes for the 3rd shark attack in a week, in Florida.

I think I'd stick to swimming pools. 

Wonder if this was another bull shark attack?  The 1st and 2nd incidents were. 

Occurred near Boca Grande...that seems almost an oddly coincidental pun.  :-\

--Cindy

#42 2005-07-01 12:11:52

Cobra Commander

Occurred near Boca Grande...that seems almost an oddly coincidental pun.  :-\

:laugh:

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#43 2005-07-05 05:15:01

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … l]Elephant mimics *truck* sounds

*Because she mistakes the distant sounds as being that of another elephant and is seeking to communicate with it?  Also speculation that perhaps she's simply bored.  Discusses social aspects of this behavior. 

And when it comes to socialization and romance:

This could certainly be the case for Calimero, a 23-year-old male African elephant who spent 18 years living with two female Asian elephants in a Swiss zoo. To get along with the ladies, Calimero learned to make a chirp-like call that is commonly used by Asian elephants.

African elephants don't make this sound, but now Calimero very rarely makes any sound other than the chirp call. This research was published earlier this year in the journal Nature.

Oooo la la.   :;):  Life sure finds a way. 

--Cindy

#44 2005-07-06 08:27:21

Palomar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050706/ap_ … osaur]Dino track found in Denali Nat'l Park, Alaska

*Finding is especially significant in that this track is located in the interior of Alaska instead of coastal Alaska.  Discovery made June 27.  Dino was 3-toed, lived aprox 70 million years ago, was a carnivore probably 9 to 13 feet in length.  The track mark itself measures 9 inches long x 6 inches wide.

--Cindy

#45 2005-07-08 12:05:07

Stormrage

*Vets have initially given this kitten a 10% chance of surviving.  Gemini was born on Sunday.  This is apparently one for the veterinary journals.  The kitten seems to be feeding better.  Good luck.

--Cindy

It died. the picture of it was horrible. Good thing that it snuffed it though. A cat like wouldn't make it without it's owner beign there for it 24/7.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#46 2005-07-08 13:13:54

Palomar

--Cindy

It died. the picture of it was horrible. Good thing that it snuffed it though. A cat like wouldn't make it without it's owner beign there for it 24/7.

*Poor little thing.  :*(  At least Gemini won't suffer anymore.  I'll try to find the news update you mention (I've not seen any additional articles about this kitten).

--Cindy

::EDIT::  http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion … .html]News release -- includes photo

Took a bit of searching; 4 of the 5 links via Google were already inaccessible.  :hm:  Actually, I thought Gemini would look more deformed than this; her faces were perfectly formed.  This is the first photo I've seen.  Guess a twining process failed somewhere during fetal development.

#47 2005-07-08 13:42:05

Stormrage

Look at this. http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articl … N.html]Two headed Kitten

The picture of the kitten is sickining. I don't know why the owners didn't put it down to sleep.

#48 2005-07-09 10:31:54

Palomar

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … s.html]The critters humans REALLY evolved from...

*Nearly 1500 sheep in Turkey followed the lead of a sheep who jumped off a cliff.  450 dead.  The remaining sheep were saved, though:

Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher, cushioning the fall

::shakes head::  I wonder what in the world possessed that first sheep?  What prompted it to that behavior?

Poor folks in the area are financially devastated as a result.  How awful to be powerless to stop it.  :-\

--Cindy

#49 2005-07-09 12:51:31

dicktice

I can understand it, if no sheepdog was on hand, because that's what sheep do: follow each other in a flock from which there is no escape from within. I wonder if a llama, which we use here to fend off foxes and coyotes from attacking small flocks of sheep, would have prevented it. They are mountain evolved aninals, while (non-mountain) domesticated sheep are not. Poor things.

#50 2005-07-09 13:09:27

Stormrage

http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/ … s.html]The critters humans REALLY evolved from...

*Nearly 1500 sheep in Turkey followed the lead of a sheep who jumped off a cliff.  450 dead.  The remaining sheep were saved, though:

Those who jumped later were saved as the pile got higher, cushioning the fall

::shakes head::  I wonder what in the world possessed that first sheep?  What prompted it to that behavior?

Poor folks in the area are financially devastated as a result.  How awful to be powerless to stop it.  :-\

--Cindy

Lol the that's the funniest news i ever heard. I knew sheeps were stupid but not THAT stupid.

Board footer