New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2004-11-08 18:14:43

DonPanic
Website

Re: Saw this coming... - Weaponization of space proceeds...

LO

If it wasn't us, sooner or later someone was going to do it.

So lets make them play catch up.

Do it  big_smile  After all, if you have so much money to waste... YOU PAY, we watch

We prefer to have medicare for everybody, free schools, free nurseries, universities which's fare is 300 $ A YEAR. 
safe trains that go at 200 miles an hour, owning half the production of Soyouz, 52 nuclear plants that assure us cheap electricity cool

We're so stupid froggies

By the way, I said destroying missiles by laserbeams was very difficult, unless impossible,
I never said that destroying satellites by laserbeams was impossible...

#27 2004-11-08 18:38:46

John Creighton
Website

By the way, I said destroying missiles by laserbeams was very difficult, unless impossible,
I never said that destroying satellites by laserbeams was impossible...

Interesting. Well maybe in the future air power will not be used for the intial strike I am not sure of how easy it will be to target ground based anti-air/space weapons. My guess is if you have a lot of suborbital fighters performing evasive flying patterns. Then once the ground base laser firers once it will be a quickly identified target. Falcon type fighters can get anywhere in the world in what was it 40 minutes? If such wars occurred allot of systems would go down very quickly. Satellites might be easy to target but maybe not suborbital fighters.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#28 2004-11-08 18:52:09

DonPanic
Website

LO

Interesting. Well maybe in the future air power will not be used for the intial strike I am not sure of how easy it will be to target ground based anti-air/space weapons. My guess is if you have a lot of suborbital fighters performing evasive flying patterns. Then once the ground base laser firers once it will be a quickly identified target. Falcon type fighters can get anywhere in the world in what was it 40 minutes? If such wars occurred allot of systems would go down very quickly. Satellites might be easy to target but maybe not suborbital fighters.

Being based on the ground doesn't mean immobile.
D'you mean that you want to go at war at the whole world ?
Or d'you try to convince me you have all gone weaponmaniacs ?

#29 2004-11-08 18:55:50

Commodore

LO

If it wasn't us, sooner or later someone was going to do it.

So lets make them play catch up.

Do it  big_smile  After all, if you have so much money to waste... YOU PAY, we watch

We prefer to have medicare for everybody, free schools, free nurseries, universities which's fare is 300 $ A YEAR. 
safe trains that go at 200 miles an hour, owning half the production of Soyouz, 52 nuclear plants that assure us cheap electricity cool

We're so stupid froggies

None of those things are free, and none will exist without national security.

But you just just sit tight while we do it, and you can sit safely under the umbrella, so that we can hold one more thing over your head every time you disagree with us.  :;):

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#30 2004-11-08 18:58:38

Grypd

The US airfoce has always wanted a means to be able to pummel a target from space. Space bombardment being almost impossible to stop and as it is automated Quick with little to risk for friendly casualties. Just a guided Tungsten Nickel round coming down like a meteor 5 minutes after the order to strike, result large terrorist target now a crater no fallout, just a hole, no warning radar never saw it. That is why its called the rod from god.

As a first strike weapon it is excellent especially as the current US first strike stealth weapons are not 100% invisible and certain french systems can see them reasonably easy. This is the weapon that would be used to start to create air superiority.

And this explains the American resistance to Galileo it is a lot more accurate than the US GPS system as it lends itself to industry rather than military applications and will be made available to all. It reduces the USA,s domination of space.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#31 2004-11-08 19:16:45

DonPanic
Website

LO

None of those things are free, and none will exist without national security.
But you just just sit tight while we do it, and you can sit safely under the umbrella, so that we can hold one more thing over your head every time you disagree with us.  :;):

We know perfectly how much we pay for our social system free services : half of what we earn with our jobs.
Go tell the Spanishes how well you protected them "under your umbrella"...
You're getting paranoîac, India, China, Europe, need you for commercials, not for your so-called umbrella.
With one satellite launcher out of ten exploding at ignition, throw up these nuclear load satellites.
They start from your country.

#32 2004-11-09 07:41:44

clark

The US isn't all that concerned about Galileo.

Through NATO, they have compromised the band frequency, and the current development of ASW is designed to shut it down if we need to. While it will provide an economic competitive edge, the USA is also busy launching the second/third generation of GPS which will be superior to Galileo.

Galileo also hedges our bets since if GPS is crippled, we can borrow their system. I might add, the more infrastructure that other countries invest in space reduces the liklihood that these same nations will not choose to make space a battleground, lest they damage their own investment.

Current research involves disabiling without destroying sats- blinding them, which Russia, China, and the US are all capable of doing now.

Of course, the military is planning to hedge bets even further by moving towards micro-sats that work in a constellation (kind of like the internet, reroute when one node is disabled), and launch on demand (as in hours and days, not months and years) so that sats can be quickly replaced.

#33 2004-12-20 12:39:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

Well it is either this thread or the other or maybe both in fact I will post in both on how can russia turn its military missile into space ready vehicles. I know they feel safe, that they are no longer being threaten by the US or any of its allies.

To easy Nasa's budget maybe the military should do like kind as the russians have done. Changing weapons into something that can do good instead of distruction.

Russians harness Cold War demons for space

Military plans test launch of ICBM from Russian missile silo,
as part of peaceful space strategy.

Just maybe it is time to convert some of them also. :;):

#34 2005-02-10 13:56:27

SpaceNut
Administrator

Weapons of any form should not be tolerated in space but here is a space trek enterprise not really a weapon but a means to get there. ‘Beam me up, general!’ Could ‘Star Trek’ technology help transport troops?

Feb. 9: The Air Force recently spent $25,000 investigating whether it might be possible to "energize" someone across long distances, as in "Star Trek." Is it money well spent? NBC's Tom Costello examines.

#35 2005-02-24 21:31:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

US Downs Dummy Ballistic Missile in Successful Test

The Pentagon plans to spend roughly $10 billion a year over the next five years on all aspects of missile defense.

I sure would wish and want that much to be spent on the vision.

#36 2022-08-12 10:51:51

Mars_B4_Moon

Satellite evidence suggests Russia suffered its worst aircraft loss since Second World War

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/ukr … -world-war

Board footer