New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2003-08-21 05:20:51

Palomar

Re: Apropos of Nothing

I also remember that one thought came to my mind: "Well, i could as well sleep on the floor, cause won't help...". Guess what. Next morning i woke up on the floor, covered with a part of the carpet, and with 5 people starring at me and laughing like crazy. Later they told me that i had such a cute, happy face while i was sleeping...  yikes

*LOL!  And what a way to wake up -- people staring and laughing.   :;):

You definitely gave yourself a subconscious suggestion before going to sleep...better be careful the next one isn't "I could probably sleep better if I stepped off a cliff..."

Just kidding! 

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#102 2003-08-21 08:10:21

Byron

P.S.:  I miss Byron and Phobos too; I see Byron here occasionally...haven't seen hide nor hair of Phobos since April or thereabouts.  Come back you guys!  sad

big_smile  I'm back....  Sorry I haven't kept up with the board lately, as I've been busy with my novel. (Getting close now, I'm delighted to say.) I miss you guys too...and it's cool to see some new faces around here too :;):

With Mars now almost right on top of us, those of you with telescopes - what details have you been able to pick out in recent days?  I have a old, beat-up Astroscan (the funny bulb-looking thing) and I was able to discern Syrtis Major the night before last (or maybe I was just imagining it...lol).  Can any of you pick out the southern ice cap?  I'm going to a public viewing at the local observatory on the 27th, so hopefully I'll be able to catch a glimpse of Mars through a "real" telescope.  If I do, I'll report back to let you know what I was able see.

For me, it's pretty dang cool to see Mars glowing bright in the night sky as I draw closer to completing my SF novel set on Mars. Pretty amazing coincidence, as I had no idea that I'd actually be writing a novel until fairly recently.

It's been a pretty intense experience lately - but it's nice to come back to Earth to check out the view every now and then... big_smile

Cindy, Shaun, et al - I'll probably be around on here a lot more once my ms. has been boxed up and mailed to certain addresses in NYC...  tongue   

B

#103 2003-08-21 08:24:51

Palomar

big_smile  I'm back....  Sorry I haven't kept up with the board lately, as I've been busy with my novel. (Getting close now, I'm delighted to say.) I miss you guys too...and it's cool to see some new faces around here too :;):

With Mars now almost right on top of us, those of you with telescopes - what details have you been able to pick out in recent days?  I have a old, beat-up Astroscan (the funny bulb-looking thing) and I was able to discern Syrtis Major the night before last (or maybe I was just imagining it...lol).  Can any of you pick out the southern ice cap?  I'm going to a public viewing at the local observatory on the 27th, so hopefully I'll be able to catch a glimpse of Mars through a "real" telescope.  If I do, I'll report back to let you know what I was able see.

For me, it's pretty dang cool to see Mars glowing bright in the night sky as I draw closer to completing my SF novel set on Mars. Pretty amazing coincidence, as I had no idea that I'd actually be writing a novel until fairly recently.

It's been a pretty intense experience lately - but it's nice to come back to Earth to check out the view every now and then... big_smile

Cindy, Shaun, et al - I'll probably be around on here a lot more once my ms. has been boxed up and mailed to certain addresses in NYC...  tongue   

B

*Hey Byron!  I figured working on your novel was the primary factor of your absence.  Good luck with it!!  How exciting!

Will you still talk with us when your novel has won the Nebula and Hugo awards?   :;):

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#104 2003-08-21 09:26:29

clark

More about the peculiarity of the English language...

Honeymoon.

#105 2003-08-21 22:34:40

sethmckiness
Banned

When did South Korea go from the Land of the Morning Calm to the Land of Soju and the Not Quite Right?

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#106 2003-08-21 22:36:30

sethmckiness
Banned

What is everything that is enjoyable or tastes good bad for you?  And why is everything that is good for you tastes good or is a complete pain in the ass?

#107 2003-08-22 08:31:00

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

There is a local HS whose mascot is the "Norwalk Truckers". 

Imagine what they call the PTA.

"Mother Truckers. . ."

I feel sorry for those guys. . .

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#108 2003-08-22 09:02:36

Palomar

There is a local HS whose mascot is the "Norwalk Truckers". 

Imagine what they call the PTA.

"Mother Truckers. . ."

I feel sorry for those guys. . .

*Hooker, Oklahoma's high school mascot:  The Horny Toads.

--Cindy

#109 2003-08-22 11:51:49

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

Quote (or at least as close as I can remember it) from a WGN broadcast I happened to catch while flipping through the channels.

"After analyzing these latest tapes from Al-Queda, government sources belive that they still hate America..."

I almost wet my pants after hearing this. Is Al-Queda supposed to love us now because we keep droping 1000 lb "hugs" on them, and putting them up in wonderful "bead and breakfasts" in Cuba?

Like is said before, United States of Adolescents (no offense to the intelligent adolescents out there, but I couldn't think of another word for immaturity that begins with an A at the moment. If you have a better one, please PM it to me.  tongue ).

I'd think I'd better get out my trusty Rod of Ignorance (read baseball bat) and get to work in Chicago...

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#110 2003-08-22 14:29:45

prometheusunbound
Banned
Website

United States of Anal-Rententives?

Anyone remember Molotov's breadbaskets?  The Russians claimed they were dropping bread on the finnlanders proir to WWII.  In return, the finnish came up with Molotov Cocktails, which I am sure most of you know what they are. . .

You are gonna need a huge rod of ingorance. . .

"I am the spritual son of Abraham, I fear no man and no man controls my destiny"

#111 2003-08-22 18:51:52

Shaun Barrett

Yeah, Cindy.
    It's been at the back of my mind too that Byron may actually have been busy writing that book.
    Uh-oh!! ... I promised to buy a copy when it comes out ..  yikes

JUST KIDDING !!   :laugh:
    I'm looking forward to it.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#112 2003-08-23 07:34:36

Josh Cryer

This thread has averaged almost 8 replies a day since its inception.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#113 2003-08-23 07:43:34

sethmckiness
Banned

Dreams don't become reality while stuck in peoples minds and conversations.  Only by Action can one's dream bear fruit.

#114 2003-08-23 08:21:11

Palomar

Yeah, Cindy.
    It's been at the back of my mind too that Byron may actually have been busy writing that book.

*And how am I to know what's been in the back of your mind?   tongue

--Cindy   :;):

#115 2003-08-23 10:09:27

clark

why does it feel good to sing in the shower?

#116 2003-08-23 17:50:03

Josh Cryer

Why does it feel better to dance in the rain?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#117 2003-08-23 19:19:58

clark

i dropped the soap.

#118 2003-08-23 20:53:55

Shaun Barrett

I think I dropped my soap a long time ago.

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#119 2003-08-24 09:14:20

clark

The younger you are, the more likely it is that you play kick the can; the older you are, the more likely that you will have kicked the can.

#120 2003-08-25 23:12:39

clark

What is the highest number you have ever counted to?

#121 2003-08-26 01:19:02

Josh Cryer

I just counted to 15511210043330985984000000 in the last few seconds, but I can go a lot higher.

--------

#122 2003-08-26 05:58:04

Palomar

I just counted to 15511210043330985984000000 in the last few seconds, but I can go a lot higher.

*Oh yeah?  Well I spelled "esophagogastroduodenoscopy" correctly one evening, while absolutely drunk (another person was present, who knows the correct spelling).

That's the one and only time I've ever been drunk, btw.  Don't like that feeling at all...

--Cindy

#123 2003-08-26 06:45:39

Byron

If the aliens landed today in the middle of Iraq and said "Hi," what do you think will happen?

B

#124 2003-08-26 07:06:25

Palomar

If the aliens landed today in the middle of Iraq and said "Hi," what do you think will happen?

B

*They'd get roundly attacked by members of every faction fighting over there, and be killed.

--Cindy

#125 2003-08-26 07:17:53

Byron

In that case, they'll set off world-wide EMP bursts, and send us pitiful humans back to the Stone Age....

B

Board footer