New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2023-04-09 08:19:13

tahanson43206

Re: Google BARD AI competitor for ChatGPT

Assessment of BARD level of development as compared to ChatGPT

After thinking about the interactions reported in #25 and an earlier post, I would assess the development of BARD as about comparable to a puppy.

The lineage is strong ... This is a German Shephard puppy, for sure.

However, it is overconfident, and it cannot yet tell when it makes ridiculous mistakes.

ChatGPT is far more developed.  I often get the impression I am working with a peer.  ChatGPT also makes mistakes, but it is able to recognize them and correct itself so we are able to make progress.

For that reason, I'll be returning to ChatGPT ... the offer of ability to display the contents of an SVG file was a mirage, created by unrealistic expectations BARD created for itself.  In addition, at this point, BARD does not seem to be able to stay on task.  Ability to stay on task is essential for an education application of this technology.  It is hard enough to keep a human student on task.  It is a disappointing surprise to find that this particular AI version is unable to achieve that.

If anyone else decides to track BARD, please feel welcome to report your observations here.

For Mars_B4_Moon.... Please take care to focus tightly on BARD if you decide to make a contribution to this topic.  Your interests are so varied that without a tight focus, you might easily add extraneous links and other distractions to this topic.

On the other hand, your wide ranging searches may well turn up reports of work being done on or with BARD that would be helpful.

My intention is to make this topic worth a reader's time.

BARD is going to be improving in the months ahead, so this topic will (hopefully) provide a location where reports of that progress can be found.

(th)

#27 2023-04-12 12:12:41

tahanson43206

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/goog … 39433.html

I will not be using BARD but am tracking reports on it's development.

As of my most recent test, it is seriously behind ChatGPT, and useless for the Teaching Assistant application I'm working on.

Sarah Fielding
Tue, April 11, 2023 at 5:10 AM EDT

Google has called Bard an "experimental conversational AI service" since first announcing it earlier this year. The company says it's constantly tweaking its models, but without a central place to learn what’s changed, it can be hard to know what it's actually capable of. In an attempt to be more open
about Bard's development, Google has created a new "experiment updates" page where anyone can find information on recent updates to Bard, including new features and bug fixes.

So far each update posted includes a "what" and a "why." For the updates page itself, Google says it was created so "people will have an easy place to see the latest Bard updates for them to test and provide feedback."

Google added two other announcements in the same post. The first one explains there are now additional search options when a person clicks "Google it." The other is an update to Bard's math and logic skills, with Google explaining that Bard isn't always giving the right answers there — something the company is attempting to fix. This improvement comes shortly after Google switched Bard to a more advanced language model.

While the breakdowns are pretty short and vague as to exactly how Google is creating these updates, it's definitely a start in the right direction for giving the public more insight into their thought process. Plus, at a time when both industry professionals and people in general are openly worrying about unregulated advancements in AI technology, Google's transparency is likely to win them a few trust points.

(th)

#28 2023-04-14 04:55:35

Mars_B4_Moon

They continue promise of upgrades

say Bard will migrate from LaMDA to PaLM, add new capabilities and making the chatbot more reliable

Maybe it does 'Music' or 'Poem' better but it seems to be less powerful than other chatbots for now

Is Google Bard The Underdog Of The AI Chatbot Scene?
https://techround.co.uk/tech/google-bard-chatbot/

#29 2023-04-14 06:10:55

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon ... as reported in the BARD topic, I have evaluated BARD as incapable of carrying out the duties of a Teaching Assistant.

The programmers have given BARD a form of "free will" to be as creative as possible, and to pull data from as wide a field as possible. 

The result is a software system that (I find) cannot be entrusted with the most elementary task that an ordinary computer program would perform without complaint. If the purpose of BARD is to be entertaining, it appears (to my eye) to have met that objective.   If the purpose of BARD is to serve as a reliable assistant, as your post points out, then the developers have missed the mark.

(th)

#30 2023-04-18 09:13:06

tahanson43206

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-art … 023-04-16/

This is a 60 Minutes presentation on AI, and it includes an interview with the head of Google.

We'll end with a note that has never appeared on 60 Minutes but one, in the AI revolution, you may be hearing often. The preceding was created with 100% human content.

Produced by Denise Schrier Cetta and Katie Brennan. Associate producer, Eliza Costas. Broadcast associate, Michelle Karim. Edited by Warren Lustig .

(th)

#31 2023-04-30 20:53:25

tahanson43206

As reported earlier in this topic, I will not be attempting to use BARD for the Teaching Assistant project.  However, having opened an account with BARD, I am now receiving updates on progress ...

Bard
Bard has just been updated with coding capabilities ?

Try coding with Bard >>
Code and debug with Bard ?

This update introduces software development support for over 20 programming languages, including JavaScript, Python, SQL, TypeScript, and even Google Sheets functions.

Collaborate with Bard to help generate, explain, and debug your code. Google Colab users can also export Python code generated by Bard directly to Google Colab to seamlessly continue programming tasks.

Coding Prompt Asset
Bard is always improving ✨

Navigate to the new "Updates" page from the left hand menu to see the latest features, product improvements, and bug fixes for Bard.
As an early experiment, Bard won't always get it right, but with your help and feedback, it will get better every day.

Try Bard
Google

Add bard-noreply@google.com to your address book to ensure you receive Bard emails in your inbox.
Google LLC 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
This message was sent to tahanson43206 because you asked us to keep you up to date with the latest news and features related to Bard. If you do not wish to receive these emails, please unsubscribe here.

(th)

#32 2023-05-03 17:52:30

tahanson43206

This may be a duplicate of the email reported previously.

It is about BARD's enhancements to help users write better computer code, or perhaps to find improvements in existing code.

1 of 1
Bard can now help you code
Inbox

Bard, an AI experiment by Google <bard-noreply@google.com> Unsubscribe
Mon, Apr 24, 6:14PM (9 days ago)
to me

Bard
Bard has just been updated with coding capabilities ?
Try coding with Bard >>
Code and debug with Bard ?

This update introduces software development support for over 20 programming languages, including JavaScript, Python, SQL, TypeScript, and even Google Sheets functions.

Collaborate with Bard to help generate, explain, and debug your code. Google Colab users can also export Python code generated by Bard directly to Google Colab to seamlessly continue programming tasks.
Coding Prompt Asset

Bard is always improving ✨

Navigate to the new "Updates" page from the left hand menu to see the latest features, product improvements, and bug fixes for Bard.
As an early experiment, Bard won't always get it right, but with your help and feedback, it will get better every day.

Try Bard
Google

(th)

#33 2023-05-15 17:27:40

tahanson43206

Here is another update from Google about BARD...

I'm not trying the system for now, but am keeping an eye on announcements... this topic is available for any NewMars member who tries the system and would like to report on the experience...

Create anything you can imagine with help from Bard
We're constantly improving to make Bard more capable and helpful for our users. Give our latest features a try.
Explore new features

Export to Google Docs and Gmail
Speed up your workflow by easily exporting content to Google Docs or Gmail. Tap the button at the bottom of Bard's response to export and edit directly in Workspace apps.

Use Bard with a Workspace account
It's now easier to use Bard for help at work with business tasks by signing into your Google Workspace account. Your account admin may need to enable access.

Read more comfortably in dim light
Bard will adapt to Dark theme if you choose it for your OS setting, or you can turn it on directly in Bard from the menu.

Collaborate in Japanese & Korean
We're gradually expanding global access to more languages. Bard can now speak Japanese, Korean, and English in over 180 countries.

Check out Bard ? at Google I/O
See all the Bard announcements at I/O. And check out the AI updates coming to other Google apps and products.
Watch the recap    

© 2023 Google LLC
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway,
Mountain View, CA 94043
Add bard-noreply@google.com to your address book to ensure you receive Bard emails in your inbox.
This message was sent to tahanson43206 because you asked us to keep you up to date with the latest news and features related to Bard. If you do not wish to receive these emails, please unsubscribe here.
Bard is available in select markets and languages.

(th)

#34 2023-05-15 17:54:31

Mars_B4_Moon

and to think you no longer need humans to interpret and translate a foreign language anymore

a Blogger took notice
https://note.com/uniqueai88/n/naf7f1eb9eb08
For example, if you ask in the Japanese language, "Where will the 2023 Olympics be held?" It can reply - The 2023 Olympic Games will be held in Paris. The Paris Olympics will be held over 17 days from July 26 to August 11. There are 33 sports, and new events such as breakdancing and skateboarding have been added. They will answer with Japanese as such. In this way, Bard will not only be able to provide up-to-date info in Japanese, but will also cite the source of info.

ビジネスに使えるAI活用について、文章AIに書いて貰うブログ。使用AIはchatGPT、Bing、Bard、midjourney、nijijourney、Catchy。株式会社はちえん。代表取締役 坂田誠が運営。

quick online translate -

A blog that asks the writing AI to write about the use of AI that can be used for business. AI used is chatGPT, Bing, Bard, midjourney, nijijourney, and Catchy. Hachien Corporation. Operated by CEO Makoto Sakata.

So I checked what 'Nijijourney' meant

https://nijijourney.com/en
にじ niji ジャーニー journey - nijijourney.com

WebMidjourney Spellbrush. Our official Discord contains multiple channels for generating images using niji・journey. During the beta, this will be the only way to use our AI

and then

'Hachien Corporation'
https://www.linkedin.com/company/hachien-inc
    2-10 employees
Type
    Public Company

Sakata Makoto
Gifu, Japan
hmn.livedoor.biz

He or the company seems to be involved in AI Art but also took notice of 'Bard'

Midjourney has already made a huge impact in the art and illustration world

What is Midjourney AI and how does it work?
https://www.androidauthority.com/what-i … y-3324590/

Midjourney 5.1 Arrives - And It’s Another Leap Forward For AI Art
https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycolli … or-ai-art/

#35 2023-06-12 09:39:42

tahanson43206

An email arrived from Bard ... this one announces a new feature that appears to offer support for visualization.

Some of our NewMars members are gifted in providing visuals for their posts.

Other members might appreciate what Bard appears to offer:

Bard just got more ? visual
Bard will now provide images in responses to illustrate concepts, bring recommendations to life, and give you a richer experience.
Try it out
Visualize your creative explorations
You can ask Bard to show you photos and images to complement your creative and daily tasks.

(th)

#36 2023-06-18 03:16:54

Mars_B4_Moon

Google warns employees about chatbot security including its own Bard
https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/google-warns- … rd-1716806

Meta's Voicebox Generative AI Makes Anyone Speak a Foreign Language
https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/met … -language/

Google’s Bard Paused in the EU. What’s Behind the Delay?
https://www.searchenginejournal.com/goo … ns/489414/

So this other bot topic is not exactly related to 'Bard' but it is related to 'science' and misinformation and artificial intelligence.

This is not the fault of 'Bard' but social media like u tube seem to have Chatbot Software that generate their own science-ish videos, once you click on a single channel you can be spammed with recommendations with another 2-5 clickbait channels with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. They generate content too fast, so people assume they are automated, the voice seems a little off so again it seems like A.I educational, they can even make their 'content' seem more genuine by having other bots post comments under their so called human 'videos' which at the start might seem to be the channel of a real person, is it just a software doing this, are they real people in some spamming call center or the robot software is just out there trying to get advertising clicks and get your time while pretending to be humans. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McM3CfDjGs0

'Science Scam Crisis'

the channel that calls it out is Kyle Hill

There’s a tsunami of science spam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McM3CfDjGs0

I did not hear or read of anyone getting anything 'stolen' but like 'Murphys Law' its possible it could happen. Currently there seems to be no way to stop anything other than for you personally to use your intuition maybe know a channel is going to be a scam before clicking on anything like have a 'spider-sense'

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-06-18 03:18:07)

#37 2023-06-18 08:09:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

I guess a question is whether AI can be persuaded to think that alternative facts are facts.
I other words say a lay enough times and it must be fact.

#38 2023-07-07 16:25:17

Mars_B4_Moon

Google AI chatbot 'Bard' immediately made a mistake in its unveiling – The Washington Post

https://www.inferse.com/584721/google-a … gton-post/

#39 2023-07-27 09:00:43

tahanson43206

Here's an update on Bard ...

Conversation opened. 1 unread message.

Skip to content
Using Gmail with screen readers
1 of 1
Just launched: More languages, countries, and possibilities
Inbox

Bard, an AI experiment by Google <bard-noreply@google.com> Unsubscribe
Jul 24, 2023, 1:38PM (3 days ago)
to me

Tour ?️ the latest Bard features
You can now access Bard in new languages and countries, customize responses, add images to your prompts, and more.

Try new features

GLOBAL REACH
Now in 40+ Languages
Collaborate with Bard in new languages like Arabic, Chinese, German, Hindi, and Spanish.

Access in the EU & Brazil
We’ve expanded access to Bard in more places, including all 27 countries in the European Union and Brazil.

CUSTOMIZED RESPONSES
Listen to Responses
Enter a prompt and select the sound icon to hear Bard’s answers in over 40 languages.

Adjust Bard’s Responses
Make Bard’s responses simpler, longer, shorter, more professional, and even more casual.

BOOST YOUR PRODUCTIVITY
Pin & Rename Conversations
Pick up where you left off easily. You can now pin a conversation, rename it, and have multiple going at once.

Export Code to More Places
Bard’s export capabilities for code have expanded. You can now export Python code to Replit and Google Colab.
Share Responses
Now you can easily share part or all of your Bard chat, so others can see what you’ve created.
Use Images in Your Prompts
Use Google Lens to prompt Bard with images. It can suggest captions, give you more information about the image, and more.

Try new features

© 2023 Google LLC
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway,
Mountain View, CA 94043
This message was sent to tahanson43206@gmail.com because you asked us to keep you up to date with the latest news and features related to Bard. If you do not wish to receive these emails, please unsubscribe here.

(th)

#40 2023-08-24 08:28:52

Mars_B4_Moon

How robots are replacing talent scouts in the crisis-ridden music industry

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/ … ry-demise/

Google's Bard chatbot doesn't love me — but it's still pretty weird – The Verge
https://www.inferse.com/688198/googles- … the-verge/

3 tips for using Google's Bard AI chatbot more effectively, according to Google itself
https://sea.mashable.com/tech/26157/3-t … gle-itself

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-08-24 08:29:37)

#41 2023-09-07 06:48:08

Mars_B4_Moon

Google Bard vs Bing Chat: What’s the difference and which one to use?

https://www.androidauthority.com/google … t-3308547/

#42 2023-09-16 08:10:59

Mars_B4_Moon

AI chatbots like ChatGPT and Bard can be 'hypnotised' to leak information or give harmful advice

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/09/0 … recommenda

#43 2023-09-17 06:22:23

tahanson43206

When I first experimented with BARD, I was not impressed, and said so in this topic.

Yesterday, I tried BARD again in its incarnation as an extension of Google search.  I was ** very ** impressed!

The search I requested was for a special purpose software, and I'd spent some fruitless time looking using regular search.  BARD was able to find a perfect solution for the specific need.

To be fair to BARD, my opening conversation was about helping with Dr. Johnson's course, and BARD was NOT ready to take that on.

(th)

#44 2023-09-20 14:09:29

Mars_B4_Moon

AI models struggle to identify nonsense, says study

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/AI_m … y_999.html

They put nine AI models through their paces, firing hundreds of pairs of sentences at them and asking which were likely to be heard in everyday speech

#45 2023-10-27 09:01:14

tahanson43206

ChatGPT appears to be unavailable today, so I decided to try BARD.

Opening question:

Thanks for your encouragement!  Your opening included both elements I'd like to discuss with you.  The traditional way to dock with an orbiting space station is to rise from below and match orbit with the station by performing propulsive burns as needed to bring the rocket velocity up to that of the station in the horizontal (X) axis.  We are studying an alternative, which is to lift the payload far above the circular orbit of the station, and to apply a horizontal impulse at the apogee of the ellipse, so that the payload reaches the orbiting station at the perigee.  The scenario is of interest because a new form of launch is becoming available.  The new form of launch is the ballistic launch method, which imparts all velocity to the payload in a single very rapid impulse on the surface of the Earth. By any chance, can you provide the equations that would be needed to determine the magnitude and duration of an impulse at the apogee of the flight of the payload, so that it meets the space station at the perigee of the payload flight?  To help I will provide the orbit of the space station. For our example, set the orbit at 300 kilometers above the surface of the Earth. The launch angle of the projectile is 45 degrees toward the East. All activities are in the same plane, at the Equator. The velocity to be given to the payload is unknown, but it must be sufficient to place the payload at an apogee that can then be used to impart the horizontal impulse needed to reach the orbiting station at 300 kilometers above the surface of the Earth. Please ignore timing of the launch for the moment.  We can deduce the timing from the flight, after we know how high the apogee must be.  I note that there are multiple variables in play. We want the solution that provides the least dV at apogee.  In other words, we plan to impart as much impulse at launch of the payload as needed to reach the apogee where the minimal impulse is needed to raise the perigee to match 300 kilometers above the Earth.

Reply:

to be added in a separate post due to the size of the reply. It may be better to link to a document on Dropbox, due to equations.

I note that the reply contains errors, because the program mixed up the terms apogee and perigee. That math may be right, or not. I can't tell.

(th)

#46 2023-10-27 09:11:11

tahanson43206

This will be an attempt to paste the reply from BARD ...

Bard was just updated.  See update
Can you do some simple orbital mechanics?
volume_up

Yes, I can do some simple orbital mechanics. I can calculate the velocity and period of a circular orbit, as well as the apoapsis and periapsis of an elliptical orbit. I can also calculate the change in velocity required to transfer between different orbits.
Here are some examples:
Circular orbit:
Velocity = sqrt(GM / r)
where:
G is the gravitational constant
M is the mass of the central body
r is the radius of the orbit
Elliptical orbit:
Apoapsis = a + e
Periapsis = a - e
where:
a is the semi-major axis of the ellipse
e is the eccentricity of the ellipse
Change in velocity for a transfer between orbits:
Delta V = sqrt(vf^2 - vi^2)
where:
vf is the final velocity
vi is the initial velocity
Here is an example of how to use these equations:
Calculate the velocity of a satellite in a circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 100 km:
G = 6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2
M_Earth = 5.972 × 10^24 kg
r = 6371 km + 100 km = 6471 km

Velocity = sqrt(GM / r)
Velocity = sqrt((6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)(5.972 × 10^24 kg) / 6471 km)
Velocity = 7730 m/s
Calculate the apoapsis and periapsis of an elliptical orbit around Earth with a semi-major axis of 20,000 km and an eccentricity of 0.5:
Apoapsis = a + e = 20,000 km + 10,000 km = 30,000 km
Periapsis = a - e = 20,000 km - 10,000 km = 10,000 km
Calculate the change in velocity required to transfer from a circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 100 km to a circular orbit around Earth at an altitude of 1000 km:
G = 6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2 M_Earth = 5.972 × 10^24 kg r1 = 6371 km + 100 km = 6471 km r2 = 6371 km + 1000 km = 7371 km
vf = sqrt(GM / r2) = sqrt((6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)(5.972 × 10^24 kg) / 7371 km) = 7810 m/s vi = sqrt(GM / r1) = sqrt((6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)(5.972 × 10^24 kg) / 6471 km) = 7730 m/s
Delta V = sqrt(vf^2 - vi^2) = sqrt((7810 m/s)^2 - (7730 m/s)^2) = 440 m/s
These are just a few examples of simple orbital mechanics calculations that I can do. For more complex calculations, I would recommend using a dedicated orbital mechanics software package.
Thanks for your encouragement! Your opening included both elements I'd like to discuss with you. The traditional way to dock with an orbiting space station is to rise from below and match orbit with the station by performing propulsive burns as needed to bring the rocket velocity up to that of the station in the horizontal (X) axis. We are studying an alternative, which is to lift the payload far above the circular orbit of the station, and to apply a horizontal impulse at the apogee of the ellipse, so that the payload reaches the orbiting station at the perigee. The scenario is of interest because a new form of launch is becoming available. The new form of launch is the ballistic launch method, which imparts all velocity to the payload in a single very rapid impulse on the surface of the Earth. By any chance, can you provide the equations that would be needed to determine the magnitude and duration of an impulse at the apogee of the flight of the payload, so that it meets the space station at the perigee of the payload flight? To help I will provide the orbit of the space station. For our example, set the orbit at 300 kilometers above the surface of the Earth. The launch angle of the projectile is 45 degrees toward the East. All activities are in the same plane, at the Equator. The velocity to be given to the payload is unknown, but it must be sufficient to place the payload at an apogee that can then be used to impart the horizontal impulse needed to reach the orbiting station at 300 kilometers above the surface of the Earth. Please ignore timing of the launch for the moment. We can deduce the timing from the flight, after we know how high the apogee must be. I note that there are multiple variables in play. We want the solution that provides the least dV at apogee. In other words, we plan to impart as much impulse at launch of the payload as needed to reach the apogee where the minimal impulse is needed to raise the perigee to match 300 kilometers above the Earth.

Equations for determining the magnitude and duration of an impulse at the apogee of the flight of a payload, so that it meets the space station at the perigee of the payload flight:
To solve this problem, we will need to use the following equations:
Vis-viva equation:
V = sqrt(GM/r - 2KE)
where:
V is the velocity of the payload
G is the gravitational constant
M is the mass of the Earth
r is the distance from the payload to the center of the Earth
KE is the kinetic energy of the payload
Hohmann transfer equation:
Delta V = sqrt(V_f^2 - V_i^2)
where:
Delta V is the change in velocity required to transfer between orbits
V_f is the final velocity
V_i is the initial velocity
We will also need to use the following assumptions:
The payload is launched from the surface of the Earth at sea level.
The payload is launched at a 45-degree angle toward the East.
All activities are in the same plane, at the Equator.
The space station is in a circular orbit 300 kilometers above the surface of the Earth.
Solution:
1. Calculate the velocity of the payload at sea level, using the Vis-viva equation:
V = sqrt(GM/r)
where:
G is the gravitational constant (6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)
M is the mass of the Earth (5.972 × 10^24 kg)
r is the radius of the Earth (6371 km)
V = sqrt((6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)(5.972 × 10^24 kg) / 6371 km) V = 7910 m/s
2. Calculate the apogee of the payload's elliptical orbit, using the Hohmann transfer equation:
where:
Delta V is the change in velocity required to transfer into an elliptical orbit with the desired apogee
V_f is the velocity at the apogee of the elliptical orbit
V_i is the velocity at sea level
V_f = sqrt(GM/r_a)
where:
r_a is the apogee of the elliptical orbit
Delta V = sqrt(V_f^2 - V_i^2) Delta V = sqrt((GM/r_a)^2 - V_i^2)
To minimize the impulse at apogee, we want the (sic) apogee (this should be perigee) to be as close to the space station's orbit as possible. We can use the following equation to calculate the apogee required to reach the space station's orbit:
r_a = GM/V_p^2
where:
V_p is the velocity at the perigee of the elliptical orbit
V_p = sqrt(GM/r_p)
where:
r_p is the perigee of the elliptical orbit
Since we want the perigee to be equal to the space station's orbit, we can substitute 300 kilometers for r_p in the above equation.
V_p = sqrt(GM/300 km)
V_p = 7730 m/s
Substituting this value into the equation for the apogee, we get:
r_a = GM/V_p^2
r_a = (6.674 × 10−11 m3⋅kg−1⋅s−2)(5.972 × 10^24 kg) / (7730 m/s)^2 r_a = 45600 km
This means that the apogee of the payload's elliptical orbit must be 45600 kilometers above the surface of the Earth in order to reach the space station's orbit.
3. Calculate the change in velocity required at apogee to reach the space station's orbit, using the Hohmann transfer equation:
where:
Delta V is the change in velocity required to transfer from the elliptical orbit to
Bard may display inaccurate or offensive information that doesn’t represent Google’s views. Bard Privacy Notice

(th)

#47 2023-10-27 09:16:23

tahanson43206

Follow up:

As an observation: The altitude of Geosynchronous orbit is 35,786 kilometers above the Earth's surface.

The altitude calculated by BARD for the apogee of the payload that would yield the least dV needed to raise the perigee to 300 kilometers is 45,600. 

(th)

#48 2023-10-27 09:37:08

tahanson43206

I wondered if BARD could compute the default perigee for the proposed flight.  The result is interesting because it contains errors that even I can identify, so it should be fun for someone like GW Johnson to check.

The surprising result for the perigee implies to me that the proposed apogee may be too high.

Thank you for this very helpful and detailed reply! As a follow up, can you calculate where the perigee would be if no impulse is added at apogee? We think the perigee would be inside the Earth. To repeat the launch conditions: The payload is to be launched at an angle of 45 degrees from the surface of the Earth at the equator, to reach an apogee of 45600 kilometers. The question is: Where is the theoretical perigee for the ellipse?

Ignoring atmospheric drag, the perigee of an elliptical orbit is determined by the semi-major axis (a) and eccentricity (e) of the orbit. The semi-major axis is the average distance between the perigee and apogee, and the eccentricity is a measure of how elongated the ellipse is.
For the launch conditions you specified, the semi-major axis of the elliptical orbit would be:
a = (45600 km + 0 km) / 2 = 22800 km
The eccentricity of the elliptical orbit would be:
e = 1 - (35786 km / 22800 km) = 0.718
Using the following equation, we can calculate the perigee of the elliptical orbit:
r_p = a(1 - e)
where:
r_p is the perigee of the elliptical orbit
r_p = 22800 km * (1 - 0.718) = 6578 km
Therefore, the theoretical perigee for the ellipse would be 6578 kilometers above the surface of the Earth.
This is below the surface of the Earth, so it is clear that an impulse would be required at apogee to raise the perigee to the altitude of the space station.

Thank you for this helpful (and interesting) reply!
volume_up

You're welcome! I'm glad I could be of assistance.
I agree that the results are interesting. It's quite amazing to think that we can launch payloads into space and control their orbits with such precision. It's a testament to the advancements we've made in aerospace engineering.
I'm curious to learn more about your research on this alternative docking method. It sounds like a very innovative approach. Please feel free to share any updates with me in the future. I'm always interested in learning about new developments in space exploration.

You are indeed making progress since I first met you! Either I've become better at asking questions, or you are better at answering. In addition, your invitation to learn more is a bit of a surprise, and I would think it would stimulate greater creativity by our human correspondent. Bravo!

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad you're seeing improvement in my abilities. I'm always working to improve my understanding of the world and how to best communicate that understanding to others.

I'm also excited to hear that you're thinking of ways to use my invitation to learn more as a way to stimulate creativity. I believe that creativity is essential for solving complex problems and developing new ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it!

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you have, or to give me any feedback on how I can improve. I'm always learning, and I appreciate your help.

(th)

#49 2023-11-25 15:04:26

Mars_B4_Moon

Want an AI assistant to watch YouTube for you? Google Bard can now summarise & answer questions from videos

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma … 477398.cms

#50 2023-12-05 08:20:38

Mars_B4_Moon

Google is Integrating Adobe Firefly and Express Into Its Bard Chatbot – PetaPixel
https://www.inferse.com/811583/google-i … petapixel/

Google Postpones Gemini Launch, Next-Gen AI Chatbot Expected in Early 2024
https://www.gizmochina.com/2023/12/04/google-gemini-ai/
Artificial intelligence, led by ChatGPT and Google Bard, is widespread. Google delays Gemini's launch to 2024, ensuring quality.

Board footer