New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2022-12-06 08:13:31

tahanson43206

Re: Email Outreach Campaign 2022-2023

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign ...

Today's candidate is Russkie Member 89 from 2002 (20 years)

The web site is historic (in Internet terms) ... it was ? purchased ? by AOL in 1996 - There is an entry for Excite in Wikipedia

A ping reveals Excite.com is still alive at 146.75.38.114

Apparently the IP is now owned by Fastly, Inc, of San Francisco.

An email would reach the provider, but after 20 years, and all that's happened, the email address itself may no longer have a listener.

Last post: 2002-01-17 21:45:48

Let's see what Russkie chose as a topic for their one and only post:
Meta New Mars» Great Site -- But.. - Why so quiet?

This topic was about the low pace of traffic on the site, and I get the impression Russkie offered their post to start things going.

Unfortunately, no one at the time responded ...

Here is the post. I am ** definitely ** going to send an email, despite the low probability it is still active after 20 years.

Russkie wrote:

Just a shot in the dark here, but i did some rsearch on bacteria from Siberian permafrost (read: cold environment) that could be used to model life on Mars.  If anyone was interested in asking questions I could probably answer most of them and maybe clear up some things for people.

?

(th)

#152 2022-12-07 08:11:25

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is rpcyan  Member 557 from 2003

The email provider is (or was) an education institution ....

ping results were unusual .... The first IP address reported by ping then changed to another IP address which responded but slowly

There was an unusual message associated with the second IP "Packet filtered"

wpi.edu still exists ... it is reported as Worcester Polytechnic Institute and there is an update from November 7, 2022.

OK! There was a student at WPI in 2001 who participated in a paper --- false alarm --- not the same person

Interesting ... the second IP address is associated with Harvard University...

A guess is that a small school in Worcester might have contracted with Harvard to provide email services?

In any case, it appears the email provider exists. 
Last post: 2003-12-16 23:57:43

Topic: Re: Human missions » Reasons against Mars Direct

The post is #46 in the topic, and Josh Cryer responded the next day.

rpcyan wrote:

MD is far from a "flag and footpints" missions.  18 months of surface time!  To prevent a Mars mission from suffering the same fate as Apollo isn't a technological one, its political.  I think the best way to keep the momentum going is to make it an international program.  Then, if you stop, the whole world is angry with you, and you look weak.  That can be a very strong political motivator - who could imagine the U.S. talking about returning to the moon if China didn't mention it?

There's a lot of ways to improve upon MD with existing technology - remember MD was written in the early 90s.  Concepts like not putting anything on the surface you don't have you and not sending anything to Mars you don't have to save you a lot in the long run.  I particularly like the idea of using the OSP for Earth reentry - why send an Earth reentry system all the way to Mars and back?

We also need to consider not providing return trips.  Settlement, on a managable scale, needs to occur before the science, otherwise it cannot be sustained.  You need a substantial amount of mass to send all this gear to Mars just for a return trip - the dru mass of the ERV by Zubrin's conservative numbers is 20 tons (excluding things used for surface operations).  Imagine the supplies and infrastructure that could provide.  For example, it could provide the hardware to construct a dome used to grow food in a CO2 rich environment.  It could provide a few pressurized rovers.

We can go now, but do we have to return?  Having one-way trips accelerates everything - settlement schedule, science capability, biological studies, the first children born on Mars.  I see little reason to return crews after the first mission.

The most recent post was by SpaceNut in 2018....

I will send the email. The provider exists, and the post was reasonable.

Over 20 years have passed.  Perhaps this candidate is willing to add another post.

(th)

#153 2022-12-08 09:45:32

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is RoNoNFT Member 659 from 2004 - a member of the First Wave

Last post: 2004-01-23 17:29:57

The email provider appears to be a TV station, so I doubtful it still exists...

OK ... the email provider still exists ...

The IP address of the email provider is Amazon Technologies inc.

Re: Unmanned probes » Spirit & Opportunity 2 - Continued from original thread

RoNoNFT wrote:

To anyone who is interested in watching NASA-TV over the internet, check this site out: [http://nasa-tv.yi.org]http://nasa-tv.yi.org

There's been a lot of info today about the Spirit rover, and some really cool landing animations.  There should be stuff going on all day tomorrow too, with everyone getting ready for the Opportunity landing.

This post was #154 in an active topic that ran on all the way to 302, when Admin Adrian closed the topic to avoid forum software failure.

The total of posts was 600 at that point.

Josh Cryer replied (indirectly) to the post by our candidate, but no one seems to have acknowledged the post specifically.

I'll launch one of SpaceNut's emails.  18 years is a long time, and NASA has been providing a ** lot ** of information over the years.

(th)

#154 2022-12-09 07:57:04

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is ronin_Kasei Member 1175 from 2005

The email provider is gmail.com, so the only question is whether the email address is still in use after 17 years ...

Last post: 2005-09-01 14:47:47

Let's see what topic might have won the honor of holding the one (and only) post:
: Unmanned probes » Private Mars Mission?

This post started a new topic, and there was one reply three days later.

ronin_Kasei wrote:

Milling some ideas around in my head, I'd like to get some feedback on a few of them.

What would you all think about the possibilty/plausiability of a unmanned Mars mission, funded, directed and controled from the private sector, namely the Mars Society?

Conditions for this hypothetical are:
-A Private entity is willing to launch a payload of a specific mass into a TMI orbit
-Sufficent funding can be obtained for the testing, procurement and manufacture of the unmanned mission
-Support using NASA's DSN to facilitate mission communication

What are some ideas for missions? I have included some ideas of my own, geared mainly toward the near-future Mars-Direct style missions.
-Small Scale In-Situ Propellant lander with or without sample return
-Multiple Aerial Balloon Recon Packages
-Orbiting TDDRS's

The signature block contains a link ...

"Where passion leads or prudence points the way".
-Robert Lowth
MarsDrive Consortium | www.marsdrive.com

www.marsdrive.com redirected to marsinitiative.org

marsinitiative.org responded ...

The site is still running ... it opens with quite a detailed animation ... the video appears to be a meld of animation and real-Universe video.

YouTube's icon shows in the lower right corner.

I note that Google Analytics is in use.... sensible .... that explains the count of countries that have visited the site

The "Our Team" page shows 12 people, two of whom are in Houston, Texas (according to the text).

I filled out the contact form and will also send SpaceNut's email.

(th)

#155 2022-12-09 18:55:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

I know that its a bit disappointing that we are and have done so much work to correct the onslaught of hackerss from the past but we have really made a difference to the site by this activity.

MarsDrive was an Australian off shut from the mars society and was headed by Frank Stafford with a chapter in Texas. The nonprofit was having issues staying established but the ceo of the MarsDrive joined efforts with the moon society as well to get more manpower to continue to unite forces for space.

#156 2022-12-10 07:50:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach initiative ...

Our candidate for today is RoninTT - Member 624 from the First Wave...

Last post: 2004-01-12 19:32:54

The email provider responded to a ping. 

However, the actual name is not recognized by whois.

The IP address is (apparently) owned by something called Confluence Networks

Confluence Networks appears to be located in the British Virgin Islands

So! The ping says DNS can find the email provider, but the original name is long gone (except for that entry in the DNS table)

18 years have gone by ... I'd be surprised if the email account is still in use, but since there does appear to be a machine at the address, I'll try an email if everything else checks out.

Meta New Mars» MarsRover2 lands on the web - Journey to the landscapes of Mars

RoninTT wrote:

Hello,

I have just visited your web site and thought that, as a Marsian professional and enthusiast, you might be interested in MarsRover2: http://www.vendornation.com/mr2/

This is a project that is just now taking shape on the web; a totally free, web-based, journey to the landscapes of Mars. Drop yourself right into the Marsian landscape with real USGS topo maps of Mars. Browse multiple landing sites and fly from site to site in true Marsian glory wink

Official release is scheduled for end of this first quarter of 2004. When we will be offering CD versions ( for the slow-of-bandwidth ) and making official announcements. Until then, this is for friends and friends of friends ... Ok, anyone you want wink

Feel free to contact me directly with any feedback. I am the developer and wide open to thoughts on direction.

MarsRover2

This was certainly ambitious for the time ... the web site shown is no longer recognized by whois. 

It would be interesting to see how this initiative evolved as technology advanced.

(th)

#157 2022-12-11 08:22:21

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is ROLLAND from 2019

The email is gmail so the provider exists.  There is an IP address in the profile...

The IP address is from Karachi in Pakistan ... OK ... let's see which topic ROLLAND chose for their post ...

Topic:  New Mars Articles » Holden Crater: Where Waters Ran

ROLLAND wrote:

Hi JPL architects are the most cultivated and fruitful Mars meanderer originators on the planet.
Furthermore, their structures work!
hey put the main meanderer on Mars and surpassed its stunning accomplishment by mind-blowing edges with the second era wanderer, MER.

A factor of 16 in wanderer mass (170 v 10.5 kg); a factor of 17 in working time (1449 v 83 sols) and a factor of 115 in separation (11500 v 100 m).

Both MERs are as yet working, so those numbers will just show signs of improvement.

Post #10 above this one was identical ... it was posted byu smairak, and SpaceNut provided an friendly reply. 

The post by smairakh included a link to the IT Training Institute.

I conclude the visit to the NewMars forum was part of a training exercise for students.

Pass.

(th)

#158 2022-12-12 08:08:32

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is: RoJ  Member 1206 from 2005

Last post: 2005-10-02 06:49:00

The email provider dates to 1999 .... There are reports of problems in 2011 so it existed then

Later posts about the provider show it still existed on 2014

Ping responds ... if everything else checks I'll send SpaceNut's email ...

Topic: Mars Analogue Research Stations » FMARS report 30 July (but off-topic)

RoJ wrote:

In this :- http://www.marssociety.org/arctic/2005/fmeng073005.asp
Anthony Kendall reports about audio recording difficulties on an ATV. Next week
I have to do some archaeological photography, probably from within a (Noisy?) Cessna. Can anyone (? Anthony) tell what improvements he has managed on sound recording whilst sitting on his ATV. I need to record camera locations whilst flying, taking GPS locations and photographs! Ouch! I suspect ambient noise levels may be equivalent to being perched in the nose cone of a Saturn laucher?
OK, seriously off-topic, but relevant to scientific recording under diffficult circumstances.
          RoJ

Rxke from Belgium replied almost immediately with a suggestion, but that was the end of the topic.

As the poster notes, the connection to the Mars Society is a report by Anthony Kendall.

I'll hang the email on the closing line, about scientific recording under difficult circumstances.

That pretty much describes the entire Mars Probe environment.

(th)

#159 2022-12-13 07:39:11

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is rockerz Member 1095 from the First Wave in 2005

Email provider was/is hotmail, so it is still available.  17 years have passed, so the email username may no longer be in use.

Last post: 2005-04-26 11:28:55

Topic: Pictures of Mars » look like a plane - crash plane

rockerz wrote:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 … lopes.html

look at the picture carefully

the side are triangle and look like a crash plane

its colour is difrent too

No one responded to this post.

Pass.

(th)

#160 2022-12-14 07:54:40

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach

Our candidate for today is: Richmanray Member 973

This member registered in 2004, so is part of the first Wave, but then returned in 2007

Last post: 2004-10-17 04:14:05

The email provider is Yahoo, and the last visit was 2007, so only 15 years has elapsed ... the account might well still be in use

Let's see what topic our candidate chose for the one (and only) post...

Topic:  Mars Rovers / University Rover Challenge » Interactive Rover - (more horses than Spirit)

Richmanray wrote:

Take a spin, jump the rocks...it's only an alpha version so be kind. The Next will be a full Gusev crater version.

http://www.lightningbrothers.com]LightningBrothers.com

John Creighton from Nova Scotia reported on experiments with the animation/game.

It is puzzling (to me for sure) why this topic just died right there....

I'm ** definitely ** curious about the link provided, and will test it shortly ...

A few minutes later: Too bad! GoDaddy says "lightningbrothers.com" is for sale

I wonder if the WayBack machine still has a copy ?

A few minutes later: Curious! The Wayback machine does not seem to have a copy of the web site.

One observation I would like to make is that Wayback is looking for financial assistance, if anyone can spare a few bucks.  I've been giving a small donation to Wikipedia, because (a) I think it is a worth while project and (b) they gave me permission to make tiny (inconsequential) edits.

In any case, I hope that Richmanray responds to SpaceNut's email.  I'd be interested to know what happened to the game project.

(th)

#161 2022-12-15 08:21:16

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is: RichardRog from 2017

The email provider is yahoo.

However, the user name differs from the email name.

We have an IP address to work with: Ukraine ! Charming!

Last post: 2017-11-26 11:13:21

Topic: Not So Free Chat» How May Doctor Bullies Have You Encountered? All About Doctor Bullies!

I'm not going to post this .... it generated one reply .... neither the post nor the reply have anything to do with Mars Society or the NewMars forum.

pass.

(th)

#162 2022-12-16 08:08:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign

Our candidate for today was a comcast.net subscriber ...

Even though comcast.net is a well known ISP, I ran a ping anyway.  To my surprise there was no response.

In the course of investigating, I discovered that Port 25 is no longer used for mail.  The explanation makes a lot of sense, in light of the spammer activity we have witnessed.

Why is Port 25 for Email Submission Not Supported?
Email is used for important communications and Comcast wants to ensure that these communications are as secure and as private as possible. As such, Comcast does not support port 25 for the transmission of email by our residential Internet customers. Much of the current use of port 25 is by computers that have been infected by malware and are sending spam without the knowledge of the users of those computers.
Why is Comcast Supporting Port 587?
The original/legacy email ports, 25 and 110, have been in use since the inception of email and have limited or no security features. As a result, port 25 has been used for the transmission of spam and malware from infected computers for nearly a decade. Port 110 simply is not a secure means of retrieving email. Port 995 provides SSL encryption when downloading email.

It has been a long standing recommendation from M3AAWG, an international community of anti-abuse professionals, and the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), that port 25 be blocked. In an effort to provide our customers with the greatest security when using email, Comcast recommends the use of the industry-recommended port 587 with TLS/SSL enabled. The recommendations from M3AAWG can be read here and you can also view the IETF RFC 5068 and RFC 4409 (section 3.1, see below).

From RFC 4409:
3.1. Submission Identification
Port 587 is reserved for email message submission as specified in this document. Messages received on this port are defined to be submissions. The protocol used is ESMTP [SMTP-MTA, ESMTP], with additional restrictions or allowances as specified here. Although most email clients and servers can be configured to use port 587 instead of 25, there are cases where this is not possible or convenient. A site may choose to use port 25 for message submission by designating some hosts to be MSAs and others to be MTAs.

What Makes These Settings More Secure?
Port 587 further improves security through the use of required authentication and recommended TLS/SSL encryption.

Required Authentication
When sending and receiving email, it is required that you use your Xfinity ID and password. This helps to prevent infected computers and other devices connected to the Xfinity services from being able to freely transmit spam and malware.

SSL Encryption
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a secure protocol for sending data safely and encrypted over the Internet. With SSL encryption your user ID, password, and email are secured from hackers and identity thieves when sending or receiving email.

Other Bodies Opposed to the Use of Port 25
There are a number of other organizations that Comcast works with to control the problem of spam on the Internet. One of the most notable of these is Spamhaus, an organization that provides a number of lists detailing IP addresses known to send a great deal of spam and a list of IP addresses that should never send email at all. These lists as well as others provided by similar organizations are used by nearly all of the ISPs and mail receivers on the planet. All of the Comcast dynamic IP address space is listed by Spamhaus as not to be used for the sending of email. As such, any email sent by subscribers on the Comcast network directly to other ISPs (not via the Comcast mail servers) is extremely likely to be blocked by the receiving ISP.

The Federal Trade Commission, an organization that has taken legal action against many spammers, also recommends that Port 25 should be blocked by ISPs. The FTC’s recommendation is as follows:
"Block port 25 except for the outbound SMTP requirements of authenticated users of mail servers designed for client traffic. Explore implementing Authenticated SMTP on port 587 for clients who must operate outgoing mail servers."

The ITU also recommends blocking port 25 in their document named "ITU Botnet Mitigation Toolkit". This can be viewed here. While this document is focused on the remediation of botted computers, blocking of port 25 is seen as an important step in mitigating the spam that is sent from botted machines.

ISPs that Manage Port 25
Many ISPs, both in the USA and around the globe, block port 25. These include:

Verizon
AT&T
NetZero
Charter
People PC
Cox
EarthLink
Verio
Cablevision
All Japanese ISPs
France Telecom/Orange

(th)

#163 2022-12-16 08:12:14

tahanson43206

Our candidate for today is: Retsyn from 2004 Member 717 and a member of the First Wave

Email provider is comcast.net

To my surprise, comcast.net did not answer Ping ....

I would guess that ping blocks is just one of many defense practices put in place over the years.

Last post: 2004-02-20 10:09:22

Topic: Terraformation » Rapid Terraforming... - ...the most ambitious ideas?

Retsyn wrote:

A thought occurred to me this morning about how one might jump start the terraforming process on Mars. What if we deorbited one or both of Mars' moons? I know this is a radical thought but hear me out.
A collission of that magnitude would in all likelyhood trigger massive volcanism and in all likelyhood free massive quantities of water from the crust. It would also likely thicken the atmosphere quite rapidly. The deorbiting of the moon/moons could probably be accomplished by setting a large enough asteroid on a collision course. Heck if the moons cores are metallic enough, over time the collision might even be able to induce enough rotation in Mars' core to generate a weak magnetic field.

This was an active topic in 2004 .... this post was number 86.

The topic itself kept going for 6 pages and part of 7.  The last post was #125 by chat from Ontario, Canada, in 2006.

The topic seems to have run out of steam at that point.

Still, Retsyn's post was definitely ** on ** topic, so I'll send one of SpaceNut's emails.

(th)

#164 2022-12-17 07:54:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign...

Today's candidate is Regent  Member 903 from 2004 Another member of the First Wave

The ISP is located in Germany, at Kassel.  The email address responded to ping.

Last post: 2004-07-09 02:22:22

Topic:  Interplanetary transportation » Outside the box. - What if there were no fossil fuels?

This post started the topic, and it ran for 10 posts, but Regent never returned.  The membership at the time went off on a tangent about plastics.

Regent wrote:

Ok so we have all kinds of neats ideas about Spaceflight.
..But.. try it on a different level...
Project..come up with a drive that works without fossil fuels.
My own design converts electrical energy to momentum energy though not directly.
But I've also heard about a Helium-3 Deutrinium fussion drive, that sounds extremely cheap and clean. Great idea for a back-up drive (to my design)  or for those designing a simple ship with abundantly cheap energy in a point and go style rocketship. Its based of course on the fussion power plant idea. wonderful if we could obtain enough helium-3, but i'm skipping to the punchline.

This post was definitely ahead of it's time .... One observation I would make is that the idea of "cheap and easy" is most definitely out of line with the reality revealed 18 years later. 

Never-the-less, this was a reasonable post, so I'll send SpaceNut's email.

(th)

#165 2022-12-18 08:21:40

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is razorsyntax

The email ISP is hotmail, so it is still available.  However, the email username looks (to me at least) like a business address.

I am doubtful about the user name chosen by this member: Number 1497

Last post: 2006-06-25 19:36:27

Topic:  Human missions » NEW SPACE COMPANY

The post itself appears to be a promotion for a company.

Pass.

(th)

#166 2022-12-19 08:37:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign ....

Today's candidate is RayRobertson - Member 430994 from 2019

The email provider is unfamiliar to me ... I'll try a ping ... The ping worked! 

The IP address that showed up in the ping seems to be in Norway (Oslo) .... OK ... that is the email provider

How about the candidate?  The IP address recorded for the candidate is unreachable ...

Whois can't seem to find the IP address for the entire "169" group .... that seems surprising ... Every block should be assigned somewhere

I followed links for a while, and arrived at a site that seems to show that the "169" group is assigned to Africa.

169-0-0-0.ip.afrihost.co.za

Afrihost itself is in South Africa ...

This membership was requested in 2019 at the height of the spammer activity ....

Let's see what topic was chosen for the one and only post:

Topic: Terraformation » Venus »

The topic was started by Terraformer in 2008 and it has continued for 17 pages plus ...

2019-02-07 06:38:36
RayRobertson
Hi
Long thread, haven't had time to read it in its entirety yet.
While most are probably thinking of how to cool down Venus, I'm thinking of heating it up sufficiently to get rid of most of its atmosphere.
By placing orbital mirrors to deflect sun rays toward Venus. Once the atmosphere has reduced enough the mirrors can simply be turned away.
With the thinned atmosphere Venus should cool down.
Last edited by RayRobertson (2019-02-07 06:40:45)

It turns out that the suggestion by Ray Robertson stimulated several thougjhtful posts ...

I'll take a chance on an email.

The members at the time seemed to think the post was worth supporting.

For the record ... this member has set privacy to prevent email.  I have changed the setting to allow SpaceNut's email to go through.

(th)

#167 2022-12-20 07:58:33

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is Ravaun Member 166692 from 2014

Email provider is gmail so the provider exists.

Last post: 2014-04-26 02:32:50

Topic:  Human missions » Light weight nuclear reactor, updating Mars Direct

Ravaun wrote:

Estimated mass of Curiosity Mobility System, including computers, not including power:  210 kg.  Estimate based upon Lunokhod chassis mass x2, which should be roughly equiv. (+/- 40 kg) to modern systems, including computer controls and differential.

At 210 chassis+computer estimate plus 1pi shield and remote core robot, estimated mass:  2,681 kg.

Assumes 2x chassis, 1.5x computers, 1000 lb screen matrix--to be filled with chess-mix of sintered regolith by addition of bottled, salt water (est. 1275 kg), sintered from top of shield wall to base, creating a slurry-like concrete.  Successive applications will build a complete wall, capable of blocking alpha, beta, gamma/x-ray and neutron radiation.  Remote core insertion/shield assembly/sinterator robot: 585 kg.  Robot similar to bomb-disposal Cobham tEODor, mass of 375 kg, est. 585 kg adapted for Mars use, including sinterator gear.  Screen matrix composed of polyethylene glycol in a plastic which expands upon exposure to microwave heating.

EOD robot can be used to manufacture building foundations, prior to arrival of crew, following activation of reactor and creation of shield wall.  RAD-hardened chips would be required for logic.  During shield wall construction, jeep (Extended Curiosity Mobility System) would be parked well away from construction zone, likely 1000 meters.  Robot to use wireless link to CMS chassis computers to enhance visual acuity.

You could also go with the NASA design, which would run to about 3,850 kg, using their specialized 6 wheel mobility chassis.  It should approved for use sometime near 2030 for use on Mars.  I think the EOD robot could be adapted, with a 120 - 150 kg sinterator unit in much less time.  They have versions which can switch out from a manipulator tool to a simple steam-shovel type set-up.  (If not, it wouldn't be too difficult to build...simple mechanical levers using low-wattage motors...assumed as part of the mass estimate.)

Sources:  http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/6841.pdf
http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/ … asics.html
http://www.cobham.com/about-cobham/miss … tract.aspx

Robot Mobility Systems for Planetary Surface Exploration – State-of-the-Art and Future
Outlook: A Literature Survey. Aravind Seeni, i, Bernd Schäfer and Gerd Hirzinger.

Institute of Robotics and Mechatronics
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Germany

This was an active topic ... no one appears to have responded to this post, which seems sensible (to me at least) in the context of the time.

The post includes links to support the proposals for construction of a base.

This member will receive one of SpaceNut's emails, if all goes well, and the email account is still in use after 8 years.

The topic itself went on for 8 pages and into the 9th.  Mar_B4_Moon is the most recent contributor, in September of 2022.

(th)

#168 2022-12-21 07:32:02

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is randy.c Member 980 First Wave

Last post: 2004-10-31 21:52:34

Terraformation » Venus without sulphur. - New teraforming approach »

randy.c wrote:

If you don`t like the soleta scenario - putting huge relecting or rediecting mirror system close to the sun-venusian L1 point - than the best way is:

- introduce in the upper layers of the venusian atmosphere self-replicating floating machines powered by sun light. The machines are small ~100% reflecting mirrors ( say, 1 cm. areostats with aluminium coating of the top sides, and black 'bellies'...) That will stop almost completely the power income in the atmosphere and will reverse the greenhousing - venus will loose more heat that it receives now... You need no less than 500 years the surface to cool down to reasonable temperatures...

It certainly seems possible to build floating bubbles out of indigenous material.  For instance, carbon dioxide and sufuric acid can be used to make carbon disulfiide and hydrogen.  The carbon disulfide can be polymerized into thin films, see    http://tinyurl.com/5rfvs .   

A bubble made of a polythiene film and filled with hydrogen  probably could be made to float high in the atmosphere.  If polythiene were a semiconductor, then the bandgap could probably be engineered to make it reflective, or photovoltaic, or to make transistors. 

A thick enough layer of reflective dumb bubbles would reduce insolation enough to cool the planet and allow the CO2 to start precipitating.  There'd probably be tremendous storms generated as precipitation started, because the dark side would cool off a little sooner than the lit side.  That would be a sight to see!

This was post #7 of the topic ... SpaceNut replied with a link to an article in SpaceDaily abut early-earth.

The topic puttered out with #19 in 2005, by SpaceNut, about a solar plane to be deployed at Venus. The article appeared in NewScientist.

Will send the email.

(th)

#169 2022-12-22 07:53:49

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is railman99 Member 831 from 2004 - a member of the First Wave

The ISP for email was att.net, and att.net still responds to ping, but "worldnet" as a prefix is no longer in service.

That means there will be no email today, even if our candidate passes all checks.

Let's see what we have ...

Last post: 2004-05-05 12:35:58

Topic: New Mars Articles » Pulling the 10m Rope Tight - Space News Editorial by Zubrin

railman99 wrote:

The editorial by Bob Zubrin in a recent April 2004 issue of Space News was on the money.  Using the analogy of "pulling a 10 m rope tight" for a targeted Mard mission, as opposed to making the rope longer than neccessary, i.e. much more expensive Mars mssion is what NASA, Bush administration, and Congress need to hear.  Most non-engineers do tend to throw money at a problem, instead of using the right tool for the right job.  Zubrin pronounced the Nuclear Rocket as not neccessary and under-powered to accomplish the job.  The radiation risk to a crew of a Mars round trip is managable, especially if appropriate shielding is provided.  If direct lift is used for the Mars mission, do we need a new launch pad and booster?  Can we use an SDV instead or rebuilding the Saturn class boosters?  Zubrin thinks so, and I tend to agree.  We need to focus the vision of those politicians in charge of funding such endeavors.

The topic developed nicely .... the full crew from 2004 showed up to move it along.  Even SpaceNut was part of the mix.

The topic expired with MarsDog in 2005.

railman99 would have been worth one of SpaceNut's emails, but the email provider won't work, so ... pass.

(th)

#170 2022-12-23 10:12:09

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign...

Today's candidate is promising: racetomars is member 2934 from 2008

Email provider is gmail ...

Last post: 2008-01-23 12:53:46

Topic: Not So Free Chat» Race To Mars

This was a topic start, and it ran for four messages .... The consensus appears to be that the post was done by an automated process.

At least the content was appropriate to the mission of the forum.

I'll send the email.  2008-2022 .... a lot has happened over that time.

(th)

#171 2022-12-24 08:12:00

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is Q_Jones Member 431 and part of the First Wave

Members of the First Wave can be identified by the presence of 1969 in the Last Visit field.

Last post: 2003-08-22 17:24:07

The email provider is netlane.com, which may well have disappeared in 19 years.

Ping reveals there is a server by that name still active !!! Good....

Let's see what we have ...

Topic:  Meta New Mars » Baby Steps - What can the common person do? »

Q_Jones wrote:

Okay, so there's this lofty goal of getting to Mars. And we all have different levels of intelligence and resources - so clearly all contributions can't be equal.

But the truth is, getting to Mars (in our lifetime) won't discover itself. Someone's got to work on it.

I believe that the trick is to get as many people as we can working (either directly or indirectly) towards the goal. And certainly things will proceed more quickly with active help than with less help.

Frankly, how useful is eating doritos at a computer, reading about this stuff? More needs to be done. So my question is ... what can the 'common man' do to speed the process?

See, the thing is, people contribute in three ways.

They produce/make/design/sell a product which advances technology. For example, people work at Dell labs making superior computers. Cool.

People buy/rent technological products. Think about flat screen computer monitors. Clearly, they are an advancement of technology. But, this technology wouldn't have been produced without people buying them.

People pay taxes. The government then uses some of that money to field research. Universities are a good example, lots of the money for them comes from the government. Unfortunately, the government never has enough money to do everything people want it to do. Ultimately, sacrifice needs to be made in some area. If you want to change government spending, then people need to suffer. New roads and health care or landing someone on Mars?

Because of the last two contributions, people are more useful than you'd think. The only problem is when people don't fall into the last two catagories. People who make minimum wage and then buy McDonalds and pay rent don't really advance technology. They kinda do, because McDonalds pays taxes on their profits, but the people don't directly contribute.

The problem with each person is that we're slowly consuming non-renewable resources. The food we eat means that the rainforest is being burnt down (to grow cows/coffee/etc). The gasoline we burn can't easily be replaced. Our styrofoam cups slowly take up landfill space. If we burn all our non-renewable resources before we can replace them with another technology, we (humanity) are sunk.

What's funny about the government is that some of their expenses could be reduced. If people didn't water their back lawns, then the government wouldn't have to spend so much money processing water. If people didn't commit crimes, then we wouldn't have to spend so much money prosecuting and incarcerating criminals. Etc. Smoking is a funny one, because of the cancer. The gov't spends gads of money treating cancer patients - but, cancer research usually has other, useful, applications.

But really, what do YOU contribute? And what can be done to increase the average contribution among us?

The post above created a topic and it reached a grand total of four posts before it expired.

One of the respondents was Hazer, who spoke of obtaining a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

That may have been an attempt at humor. In any case, we'll meet Hazer as we proceed through the 1000+ candidates SpaceNut has listed.

The email provider is available <check>
The post looks reasonable <check>
There was a favorable response from members at the time <check>

Will send email.
(th)

#172 2022-12-25 08:36:36

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Email Outreach campaign ....

Today's candidate is Quíet Storm

This user name is coincidental with the massive problems caused by a weather system that moved across the US in recent days.

Quiet Storm is member 310 from the First Wave in 2002.

RobertDyck is member 274, so the two would have "met"

The email provider is Yahoo, so if everything else checks out we might be sending one of SpaceNut's emails this Christmas Day.

Last post: 2002-10-11 19:06:29

Not So Free Chat » Hello Everyone

Quíet Storm wrote:

This looks like a very promising forum!

Glad I found it!  wink

Anyone here planing to go to mars?

This post started a topic, and there were immediate responses!

The topic ran out of steam at #5, with a ? joke ? by Ranger_2833 from "My secret bunker in Wyoming".

Shaun Barrett from Australia offered a greeting.

And that was the end of it ... for whatever reason, Quiet Storm let their visit lapse into the misty regions of the NewMars archive.

If it were not for SpaceNut's outreach campaign, that is where those posts would have remained.

It ** is ** 20 years later, and Quiet Storm may no longer be with us.

An email will head out to that ancient yahoo address shortly.

(th)

#173 2022-12-25 16:24:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

12/25/22 outreach emailer recieved.

#174 2022-12-25 18:17:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #173

Today was a rare day .... both of the test emails showed up here, and you reported receiving yours.  I often see only one of the two test emails.

Finding a member of the First Wave is fun, because there was a feeling of new-ness about the forum at the time. After all these years, I'm not expecting a response, but the effort seems worth making.

(th)

#175 2022-12-26 08:37:04

tahanson43206

Today's candidate is: qnetjoe Member 2782 from 2007 from Colorado

The email provider is not a familiar name, but it could well still exist... (I ** should ** have recognized the name, as it turns out)

Ping shows there is a server sporting the name. The IP address of the server reveals: Council Bluffs, Iowa

There are five Universities or colleges listed for the city.

However, the email provider is the Colorado School of Mines .... www.mines.edu

This makes more sense.... It is a minor mystery why the serve with the name mines.edu would be located in Iowa, but the IP's are associated with Google.

I suppose the server could be anywhere.

In any case, it seems possible that qnetjoe might have been associated with Colorado School of Mines back in the day ...

Last post: 2007-07-13 20:42:33

Topic: Index» Interplanetary transportation» F-1 Rocket engine

qnetjoe wrote:

I was wondering what ever happened to the F-1/F-1A rocket engine designs? Why are they no longer used? Is it due to a policital or environmental concerns? Or just a economic or engineering concerns?

I was also wondering if anybody knew were I could find the complete F-1A rocket engine specifications? And is there any reason why 4 F-1A rocket engines could not be combined using a single turbo pump similar to that of the RD-170?

This sensible question received an immediate reply by cyclops ....

The topic persisted for several years, with occasional contributions, including one or two by GW Johnson.

The final post was by a member talking about roads in Post #17

There was some useful/interesting content in the topic.

For whatever reason, our candidate never returned.  Perhaps the answer provided by cyclops was enough.

In any case, 15 years have gone by, and if this was a student at the Colorado School of Mines, the student may have gone on to a career in the field.

There's a LOT of mining to be done on Mars, just as on Earth far into the future.

I'll send the email.  At least it will arrive at the Colorado School of Mines. What happens after ** that ** is unknowable.

Students probably receive email at their email addresses long after they've left the school, and the messages may just go into an archive.

(th)

Board footer