You are not logged in.
not to beat a dead horse, but i just noticed this http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/200 … x.html]The MGS MOC Search for Beagle 2
Note that this picture is NOT the "Beagle impact crater":
then why did i link it? i dont know, it had me fooled until i read the story!
Considering the geopolitical juggling prevalent on this board, exemplified for instance by the debate about Patton's proposition, I'd like to know why people here think the war against Germany was neccesary. On another level, the war against the European phenomeon of Fascism as such (two different questions, actually).
I'm sure there would be several answers to these questions, but I'd like to know what you guys think and the way you reason.
Is it equal to deny two individuals of the same gender the choice granted to any other two indivduals who are of opposite genders?
It's an interesting question and I think the answer relies on the consideration that the ability to produce children isn't some right at all, but a fact of nature.
It's like asking whether a one-legged man has the right to win an equal number of hundred meter sprints in the Olympics as his two-legged professional competitors, even though his prerequisites are somewhat lacking without massive positive discrimination and alterations to the rules.
Ah, gender relations are surely poor today in comparison with the good 'ol days of yesteryear. When women knew their place, in the kitchen, and men were the bread winners, upon whom the entire family depended. Equality of the sexes has wrought nothing but travesty and misery upon untold millions, for untold years.
Yes, this "equality" you are referring to has without a doubt shattered thousands of lives apart from practically prohibiting free choice in the area alluded to. I believe in equal rights for all citizens, any 'affirmative action' in excess of that or whatever you call it in America (or England) is bound to create more problems than it solves.
As for the rest of your ramblings, you're free to announce whenever you feel like getting out of the strawman mode.
I do believe that Gennero, who is wholly consumed by his personal desire to see that all children have nothing but the best possible parents, is concerned that effeminate males might damage the young souls, inhibiting their development in ever so slight a way. Of course, there are a great many heterosexual men who are effeminate, womanly, if you will (I of course beg the pardon of all ladies, wherever they may be for this gross comparison), yet they still manage to raise fine, straight, up-standing children. How do we reconcile this problem?
Nonsense, but on the other hand, do you suggest "effiminate" males are somehow naturally predisposed to shagging guys in the kitchen?
Then there is the bit about the gay couple calling it quits- well, that happens all to often in heterosexual couples now, yet somehow the very fabric of our society endures. I wonder what the magic is?
Presumably old habit to a large extent, thankfully. I never said gender relations were at their best in our present time.
Anything else besides vague generalities and your own predisposed bias?
The bias is on purpose, simply because you're all so full of political correctitude, you need harsh words to note other sides to the issue.
Ah, the things we learn from literature when we turn the mind on. I am very much impressed.
Literature this and literature, that. Truth is I don't have any hard numbers or facts to go on (unlike in certain other areas). Nevertheless, I thought this possible phenomenon might be worth mentioning.
*A couple of years ago I heard of plans for a special private school in New York for teens who identify themselves as gay and for children of gay parents. These kids are being targeted for bullying, hate crimes, etc.
Some people were opposed to the segregation...others felt it was necessary for safety's sake.
Not sure what's become of it and I've not heard any updates.
Yeah, it was something like this I was referring to. Must say it would probably be better for those kids to become segregated, yet it also raises the issue of who's to pay for this sort of thing when gay adoption becomes a public right.
What's the problem of solving the issue by simply not letting it to occur from the outset?
Well, basically, given a certain amount of generalising, all I'm saying is that gay couples are often known to be rather promiscious. It's a well known facet of their culture, and I'm not sure that the environment, full of squeeky-voiced self-centered poofs, would be very healthy to a kid.
One should think about the child. Don't you think it would miss having a mother? I know I would. Who's to cater to his emotional needs without him constantly having to reaffirm his identity for not being gay as well? What about teasing in school, that sort of thing? I can see all sorts of potential emotional mayhem developing, even without the horrible risks of pedophilia being present.
What if the gay couple suddenly grows tired of their political mission and recently acquired toy?
It's real people we are dealing with here and I don't find it justifiable to make children into social ginuea pigs, just to further some generally well to do, aggressive lobby's irrelevant agenda.
The interests of the child is the only factor worth considering.
Then if a guy wants to be a man and father, well be one! Get over your cold-hearted career mother who never hugged you as a child and go get a warm-blooded wife. If you don't like to, well then children supposedly aren't for you. Fundamentally, it's a free choice.
Getting down to it, I could very well imagine marriage for homosexuals (not that I see the point, really) on the condition it would never include child adoption, sort of a concession to end all concessions, but the way the debate is presently construed, I don't see that happening. Right now, it's all just a slippery slope.
I'm after some sort of 'popular' representation of possible rocky planets that might circle other stars, a sort of listing of types of planets that might be out there. It should answer questions like "is a swamp planet like Degobah possible?", "would a rocky planet significantly larger than earth have to be an ocean world (of considerable depth)?", "what about an ultra-tropical world with lots of water and cloud formation to reach equilibrium for a kin to Venus. Would the temperatures be agreeable with human colonization?", "what about planets with methane atmospheres, ammonia, desert planets" etc?
I've read a book called "World Building" by Stephen L. Gillett, which approximately fits the category, but trouble is it was rather cursory, dealing mostly with Earth, badly dispositioned and somewhat confused.
Web sites that cater to the subject of world building scenarios seem to centre entirely on the Earth.
Anyone got a suggestion? Are there any books about possible aliens that throughly brings up the planetary basis of their existence as well?
Anyone around here who enjoyed playing a PC-game called "Master of Orion II" or similar? If so, then think about it like this: if done in a scientifically valid way, what planets would be likely to encounter in the game?
Well, I say common sense predicts as much. Sure, North Korea is a dangerous patient and Kim Il Jong a most pathetic figure, but it probably helps to think about how a totalitarian country works.
Everyone will be ready to affirm their undying loyalty to the system in order to guard their backs, even to the extent of believing their own deceptions. Mixed messages will be an inherent matter. So, basically it all boils down to a game of saving face. If it can be made to look as North and South reaches a concord out of free will, then the dismantlement of this last anachronistic Sino-Communist anomaly will have a chance of succeeding.
However I wouldn't be at all surprised if Iran covertly gave small nukes (small=5,000 lbs, not to mean suitcase nukes) to terrorists with the intent of attacking the port cities of Israel and the USA.
I agree it sounds plausible, but then one should remember that the present situation, including minor terrorist acts like Madrid and Bali, have largelly been provoked.
Taking on Iran, not to mention North Korea, while dealing with Iraq and Afghanistan all at the same time, is something you might barely expect only in the mind of some deranged neocon, in my opinion. Iran is not like Iraq and even that small misadventure is draining US funds. Iran is bigger, has a much larger population and a more diverse geography. Just pick up a map. Dealing with resistance fighters in the Zagros Mountains will make Fallujah look like a Sunday walk in the park.
For clarity's sake it should also be pointed out that North Korea is obviously not connected to the Mid-East drama nor to this "war on terror", in regards to which the Iraq occupation itself was a scam. All in all, from where I sit, a major propaganda stunt pushed on the American public, and in that sense doubtlessly most fascinating.
Shaun Barrett wrote:
Right, they were constrained by fear; fear of something called "MAD" - Mutual Assured Destruction. But does this apply to Iran?
It does. If the Iranian nuclear power plant program is aimed at getting nuclear weapons, they need them to counter the nuclear threat from Israel, making sure the Likudniks won't unleash their capability in some weak moment or use it for blackmail. It's only natural if you place yourself in Iran's shoes.
Then there are of course other nuclear powers in the area, like India, Pakistan and China.
However, it could be the neocons are only back to banging the war drums. If the US is used another time to attack a peaceful country, rest assured America will eventually find itself very isolated. Tokyo, Beijing, Moscow and Brussels are most likely well aware what's going on here by now and patience is running out...
The North Korean question is best solved with reunification of the country, in my opinion. America should work together with South Korea on this one, not go in on their own with some lunatic military campaign. It will be solved in time, provided a backdoor is provided for the North Korean leadership. They can't go on forever and in their hearts they surely know this.
It's not the same thing. A marriage between a man and a woman is usually geared into creating a family whereas gay 'relationships' are generally only about sex.
Also, perversions differ by nature and some do tend to overlap more into others. You read books, don't you clark? You can't be entirely oblivious about such references throughout literature?
Yeah, Plato almost comes to mind here. ![]()
Bottomline, same-sex marriage serves no social function, so why take unneccesary risks? It's not worth it.
It's a great idea but in my experience Nation States loses its flavour terribly fast. The population just grows and grows and only because you build a few nuclear power plants your country suddenly turns into a desert.
???
And then there's no warfare, real diplomacy or anything. After two weeks I simply grew tired of the irritating PC-ness of the game and left.
Nevertheless, a boatload of potential there...
"first they'll be sittin in the front of the bus, and next thing you know, they'll want to vote..."
Child molesting isn't fun either. Gay culture is frantically glorified nowadays, and most often quite hypocryptically at that, but historically there has always existed a link to 'the love of young boys' within this specific brand of sexual deviation.
In principle, I couldn't care less if homos got married. The actual problem is that it's only a stepping stone to the next objective, which is child adoption, and that should never be tolerated.
So, consequently, since there is nothing gained with accepting same-sex marriages, I see no reason for it.
Lack of Clear objective
This was the single most determining factor of the Vietnam War and it's also what makes Iraq resemble it.
In both cases self-delusion, misapprehensions about the foreign policy situation and imagined threats guided the initial deployment of forces and in both cases the presence has deteriorated into an attempt to win the peace combined with considerations of prestige.
The rest is mostly just quantitative parameters.
As for the enlightenment doctrine having it wrong, perhaps and perhaps not. However, it was a major philosophical foundation for one of the most successful societies the world has ever known.
Every idea has its place in the sun. However, it doesn't serve us very well anylonger. And personally, I prefer truth rather than a noble lie.
Many of the most forward-looking leaders of the 18th century in Europe felt it had a lot of merit, thus the doctrine was both "real" and influential.
Darwin wasn't around in that day.
Evolution is much more sophisticated than you portray. Have you ever seen the films showing how often they get away? If they didn't frequently get away, then there wouldn't be any for us to observe!
And in what sense does this observe the rights of the prey?
I'm not going to go into a discussion of the existence of God at this point, but I do point out that if there is one he/she would likely be the primary giver of "rights", just as enlightenment figures suggested. The fact that God is a hypothesis that you do not happen to believe has nothing to do with whether or not conceptions of rights based on the presumed existence of a God do exist and are influential.
The point is not what I happen to believe. The point is there is no proof of his existence or this entity's particular intentions. No connect between what some may have dreamed upon about him (like the ten commandments, or that Hebrews are some chosen people, for example) and what we can observe around us. So every time someone comes along waving a piece of paper saying you can't do this because it's against the "rights of man" (meaning, because my imagined god says so) it's fraud by definition.
Yes, I certainly think that human emotions and the capacity for empathy are heavily involved in the development of concepts of rights, justice, and other abstract goods. In fact, all these things reflect the objective nature of man. Because man is a "natural" creature, it is natural (in man's nature) for him to develop systems of justice, rights, etc. which are constrained in their efficacy according to whether or not such systems are consistent with man's deep and complex nature. Those systems that are most consistent with man's nature (whether divine or not) will be most influential and long-lasting.
In other words, you agree that rights, even the concept of construing justice in the form of rights, are only a man-made agreement.
By the way Morris, I won't try to rob you off your belief in western man's God. You just continue believing in whatever you like.
I believe in what I observe and on that basis I would define everything that civilization creates, justice, the social contract, laws, self-constraint - civilization itself - as a departure from what is typically nature, wherein everything only thinks about itself. Civilization is all artificial, but therein lies its very greatness. It's more than nature.
In that sense every cultural creation is also a unique construct, seperated from each other by the amoral wilderness which is nature (not "immoral", amoral in the sense of ethical neutrality).
To believe that there is some objectively true civilization in other words, having the "right" to override the others, is a fallacy.
(Of course, civilizations and political entities invade, conquer and suppress each other all the time, it's the excuses I resent.)
*It seems 18th century Enlightenment philosophy is often misconstrued as believing and fostering the notion that the world is a lovely, warm place full of dreams and benevolence. Voltaire's _Candide_ pointed out repeatedly that the world is usually anything *but* that.
It's correct the Enlightenment is a complex, evolving phenomenon and does not entail just one opinion or attitude.
If I recall, Candide itself signifies a radical shift in Voltaire's thinking with relevance to this discussion.
Every person has a sort of genealogy or etymology to his or her thinking and I should come clear about mine. It goes something like this:
Plato
Scholastic realism
Phenomenology
Existentialism
Likewise, the idea of "natural right" genealogically relies on the metaphysical assumption of an intention within creation itself. It's called teleology. But in truth there is obviously no intention, only product, or if there is, it's not a particularly nice one.
I should also admit that I prefer Hobbes to Locke. Not because he's a nicer guy, but because he is honest.
Of course there can. That's what the enlightenment doctrine of "natural rights" is all about. It is likely true that there can be no rights without reference to some kind of philosophical system, but this does not entail embodiment in a state.
The enlightenment doctrine has got it all wrong. A gazelle is a wonderful creature - considering a universe full of little else than icy dust it's almost priceless. Still it ends up leopard dinner if nature has its way, just like we would.
Nature is not the giver of rights. Rights are artificial and can only exist as an agreement between sentient parties. You can even create a charter of arbitrary "human rights" and present it to everyone who might be interested in signing it, if you wish. What you cannot do all the same is impose any such collection of rights upon anyone and working from the assumption that it has universal value, since that would require the authorization of a third party, who is God. A hypothesis of whose demands or existence we have no evidence.
In the words of Duns Scotius, the world is contingent, that is, it exists independently of the will of God.
I hold that humans objectively have emotions and the ability to sense compassion. This is the basis upon which we found our sense of righteousness and laws. Those are not dependant on some universal charter of "natural rights", which simply carries no objective reality at all.
I would be very interested in seeing how you do this. In the US, a Supreme Court to guard the constitution (despite the fact that they have sworn to do so) is a contradiction in terms since the Constitution is whatever the Supreme Court says it is. I would be very interested in a method of assuring a Supreme Court would really see the Constitution as primary, rather than their own decision.
Provided I understand this correctly, I don't think it would be that hard to make it work. When it comes to rights, for instance, the supreme court would only consider what is actually stated in the constitution, since my state does not recognize the universality of human rights as such. After all, there is no such thing.
What it does consider are citizen's rights (right to a fair and equal trial, free speech etc). There cannot, by the very definition of rights, be any right outside or above the state, since there are no rights in nature.
Excellently stated.
What is it about those so-called "progressives" that makes them latch onto political systems that can only function in the most primitive societies? :laugh:
Rhetorical of course, I know exactly what it is. :;):
LOL! Cobra, if you consider the impact of full disclosure might be too tough on the auditorium, you're of course not obliged to reveal what you exactly know if you don't care to.
:;):
But there's still (2), can we harvest ice-regolith that's 40 K? That's very cold. When I asked Zubrin at the Mars Society Conference about harvesting ice at the lunar poles, that was his immediate concern. No one knows how to harvest stuff that is that cold, not in large quantities at least. That was a problem I had not thought about.
I guess we should not forget about this reaction:
FeTiO3 (ilmenite) + H2 = Fe + TiO2 + H2O
Seems to me as long as we can haul in huge amounts of hydrogen, we might not even need the polar water.
???
One of the worst problem with democracy is the professionalization of the political role. This is fundamentally a facet of the ever continuing specialization of production, which means democracy isn't really suitable for any sort of advanced society. Look at how democratic politicians are created!
They join a party at an early age and are not required to be wise or know about anything. Those who survive the long march through the corridors are those who have learnt to scratch the right backs at the right time in order to further their personal career advancement. Never mind the country, catering to short-sighted opinions, staying in favour with interest groups or the media (which contrary to what you might think is not currently free but concentrated on a few hands with a corresponding agenda) is what matters.
Politics is too important to be left to democratic career politicians (sophists). I suggest members of the legislative body should be appointed among the foremost of the country's institutions (military staff, universities, science institutions), whereby individuals of outstanding merit should be asked to do their duty and serve the community for a set period. This would do away with all the personal career and vested interest nonsense. It would also forestall the risk of the system deteriorating into an oligarchy of the rich.
In order to let the people have some influence you could institute two chambers sharing an equal amount of the mandates and relegate the democratic circus to that level.
In turn, the upper house could elect department heads to renew the government, the head of which would hold executive power.
Democratic society rests on the principle that every citizen (ideally) should have equal power to influence politics; I say the affairs of state should be decided by the most capable.
What they require is information about society's needs so freedom of speech is a cornerstone of the system as is public accountabilty of the decisions made.
Thirdly, there would have to exist a supreme court with the sole purpose of safeguarding the constitution.
And if all else fails, start a revolution! ![]()
*Hmmmmm. Well, usually I avoid gender discussions (because there's enough blame to go around and "it takes two"). And the added consistent social reinforcement bombardment infants are exposed to from day one, pertaining to whether the blanket they're bundled up in in the hospital nursery is pink or blue... :;): Then the complexity, like this issue...
Actually, I've known and seen a lot more women willing to marry and settle down with guys who are less attractive (by society's dictates of what is attractive) than vice versa. It seems women are generally more willing/able to fall in love with a man who isn't particularly attractive nor possesses "status" (in the community or otherwise). I've seen more women willing to tough it out with a man who has been disabled from an injury or who is suffering from a debilitating illness than vice versa.
Perhaps my perceptions are incorrect, but my comments are based on experience and observation.
And even a cursory glance at any magazine rack in any store is enough to "tell" me repeatedly that I'm "not good enough" (for anything) unless I look like Bimbo Flavor of the Month. :laugh:
Both genders have their unique strengths and resiliencies...and both have their unique stupidities which contribute to all -this-.
Just wanted to make a few comments, and sorry if this is a bit further "off-topic."
--Cindy
Your perceptions are entirely correct, it's only that I generalize wildly which is unavoidable in a discussion like this, not to mention that I left out the unquantifiable factor of LOVE as a point on its own merits. And you're right, we're not only far out off-topic but dealing with a highly volatile subject.
In addition, and maybe I go too far by admitting to the fact, but I personally hold almost zero attraction for the "Bimbo Flavor of the Month", quite sure I never did.
I want a woman who is kind, considerate and responsible. Not something that risks blowing up in your face one way or the other. Adrenalin, as you know, is not a turn-on. And she 's a brunette, has a small round stomach, is somewhat garish and totally unfashionable.![]()
Allright, better stop now. ???
So, male chauvinism is the answer to female chauvinism? :sleep: Not very original.
I don't get this. I didn't say nice guys were better providers and keepers of families in comparison to women but to other males.
As for rearing children there's no competition, women are biologically and for millions of years geared to the task.
In other words, if not PC-conditioned what to think - like feminism's constant denigration of feminimity - most families would have women become prime executive of home operations simply by free choice. I could add that free choice certainly must exist for the contrary.
Economically speaking, it's nothing but a clean cut case of pure specialization.
Problem with feminism is that it enters a scene where nice men are bred to accomodate women in every single way in the hope of getting laid and if they hear women tell them men are inherently bad and evil creatures those guys will sacrifice their masculinity as well.
At the same time women haven't changed their ideas of attraction which can be summed up in the three words of money, status and confidence. This means they'll end up with males who are not good providers but simply couldn't give a sh*t or with whimps they emotionally can't tolerate with break-ups and divorces ensuing.
In the end everyone loses (with the possible exception of a handful of silverbacked harem keepers).
In fact, what women actually want probably run contrary to the set goals of total equalization of resources, income and status since this will rob men of the very confidence women seek.
Always think it's so fascinating (and hard to believe) that the Oort Cloud (well parts of the remaining 15%) actually extends for lightyears out from the sun.
This would mean that the outer reaches must meet the Oort Cloud of Alpha Centauri and consequently interact with it, so theoretically some of our comets would be matter from our neighbouring star system and leftovers from its nebula birth place.
This is where the theory of panspermia assumes concrete form.![]()
Rxke has got good musical taste. Funny thing is that The Sonics were a totally unknown band up to the late 80's, like it had neither entertained any popularity during the 60's.
I remember some friends of mine feeling mighty special for having dug them out around 1989 and immediately began imitating them in their garage band.![]()
The world sometimes takes a long time to appreciate quality.
I wouldn't consider Sedna a planet. We need to get used to how many objects of this sort may be out there. If we keep picking fancy names for them all we'll soon run out of mythological reference (and possibly squander a lot of other fun names). I wouldn't like having to name the first terran world we encounter "LV 426".
We need to assign strict criteria to what is a planet and what's not. Here's a suggestion:
Any planetary body circling a star while being aligned with the stellar plane and massive enough to form a sphere, is a planet.
Any planetary body of at least one Pluto mass, circling any star in whatever ecccentric orbit and out of the stellar plane is a planet.
This last provision is important because it seems some eccentric giants detected are actually circling its host star outside the stellar plane. (Actually, I hope I'm misinformed about this part since it would make the planet definition more straight forward.)